Is Yoga enough for Toning?

Options
We all know weight-training is VERY important for weight-loss, and it's what helps us to burn that fat off and keep it off, but I HATE weight training. I've tried several lifting programs from a trying it on my own, to a program my sister wrote me, to JM 30 Day Shred and EVEN tried p90x (which didn't last long AT ALL). But all of it is just boring and it drags on FOREVER. I've prayed SEVERAL times for Jillian MIchael's or Bob Harper (or even now the new trainer Dolvett) to magically show up in my house to help me out with this...of course we KNOW that's not happening! But one thing I DO enjoy is Yoga. I got these Pulse Yoga dvds (www.pulseyoga.com) that incorporates light lifting along with yoga moves. There's 3 levels: Yoga Basic I, Yoga Balance & Tone II, and Yoga Stamina & Strength III. I have scheduled to do the videos 2-3x a week. Pulse II and III mostly, and Pulse I when I just want some extra stretching in. Currently I am using 3lbs weights and know soon that I will be switching up to 5lbs--(as soon as I buy the dumbbells). But my question is: Is yoga 2-3x a week sufficient enough to provide that toning and muscle strengthening I need to lose weight, keep weight off and boost metabolism?

Anyone use yoga for toning and it has worked for them? PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    We all know weight-training is VERY important for weight-loss, and it's what helps us to burn that fat off and keep it off, but I HATE weight training. I've tried several lifting programs from a trying it on my own, to a program my sister wrote me, to JM 30 Day Shred and EVEN tried p90x (which didn't last long AT ALL). But all of it is just boring and it drags on FOREVER. I've prayed SEVERAL times for Jillian MIchael's or Bob Harper (or even now the new trainer Dolvett) to magically show up in my house to help me out with this...of course we KNOW that's not happening! But one thing I DO enjoy is Yoga. I got these Pulse Yoga dvds (www.pulseyoga.com) that incorporates light lifting along with yoga moves. There's 3 levels: Yoga Basic I, Yoga Balance & Tone II, and Yoga Stamina & Strength III. I have scheduled to do the videos 2-3x a week. Pulse II and III mostly, and Pulse I when I just want some extra stretching in. Currently I am using 3lbs weights and know soon that I will be switching up to 5lbs--(as soon as I buy the dumbbells). But my question is: Is yoga 2-3x a week sufficient enough to provide that toning and muscle strengthening I need to lose weight, keep weight off and boost metabolism?

Anyone use yoga for toning and it has worked for them? PLEASE HELP!
    There's no such thing as TONING. Muscle is either conditioned or not. That said Yoga can "condition" your muscle tone to an extent.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the best work out plan is the one you'll stick to. do what you like, and judge the results for yourself.
  • craigh04
    craigh04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of pulse yoga, thanks for the tip on combining strength and yoga. Sounds great. I'm going to have a look at the website right now.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was referring to BODY toning...not muscle toning... And besides, the question was asking if yoga was sufficient enough.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    I think yoga is great & definately improves tone & strength. I'm no expert & I'm new to yoga, but its no easy ride, either. I do Jillian Micheal's Yoga Meltdown (occasionally) & it can be very difficult. There are no weights, but you're using body weight, just as effective, I think. I mean, cmon, those plank moves can kill. A friend of mine lost alot of weight with yoga alone. Personally, I think some cardio incorporated with the yoga would be a good combination. Yoga doesn't increase your heart rate enough to promote alot of calorie burn. If it is something you like, keep doing it. People that don't do yoga are the only ones I've ever heard say anything negative about it. Everyone I know that does yoga loves it & defnately sees results.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I do pilates, which I consider a cousin of yoga- similar but different. I use pilates for my strength training as I am using my own body's weight for resistance. I started 2x/week in early August and my body has dramatically changed since then, including more noticeable muscles. In a week I do one traditional pilates mat class and one pilates/core conditioning class where we use exercise balls and other props.

I still do cardio daily (in the form of brisk walking at 4 mph) and think it is necessary, however cardio never changed my body like pilates did!
  • GetFitE
    Options
    I do pilates, which I consider a cousin of yoga- similar but different. I use pilates for my strength training as I am using my own body's weight for resistance. I started 2x/week in early August and my body has dramatically changed since then, including more noticeable muscles. In a week I do one traditional pilates mat class and one pilates/core conditioning class where we use exercise balls and other props.

I still do cardio daily (in the form of brisk walking at 4 mph) and think it is necessary, however cardio never changed my body like pilates did!

Cardio USED to change my body, as I lost 50lbs by mostly doing cardio, but I've increased my cardio intensity A LOT (I went from running 1-2 miles a week) to now training for a half-marathon and running 5, almost 6 miles...but it's not doing anything for my body anymore. I found a core video that Dr. Oz posted online that I'm going to add on to my yoga workouts for some more strength training. I'm just hoping the yoga 2-3x a week and intense cardio days 2-3x a week will work for me. I'm only 10-15lbs from my goal weight.
  • jbdowns35
    Options

Cardio USED to change my body, as I lost 50lbs by mostly doing cardio, but I've increased my cardio intensity A LOT (I went from running 1-2 miles a week) to now training for a half-marathon and running 5, almost 6 miles...but it's not doing anything for my body anymore. I found a core video that Dr. Oz posted online that I'm going to add on to my yoga workouts for some more strength training. I'm just hoping the yoga 2-3x a week and intense cardio days 2-3x a week will work for me. I'm only 10-15lbs from my goal weight.

Sounds to me you have the right idea. Keep it up.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I was referring to BODY toning...not muscle toning... And besides, the question was asking if yoga was sufficient enough.

What is the difference between body toning and muscle toning? Aren't muscles part of your body?
  • GetFitE
    Options

What is the difference between body toning and muscle toning? Aren't muscles part of your body?

According to the first person who responded, there's no such thing as muscle toning...???
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

According to the first person who responded, there's no such thing as muscle toning...???

In my opinion, toning, muscle firmness, getting dieseled can be interchanged. Muscle conditioning/resistance training will lead to firm muscle mass which gives the appearance of a toned body if body fat is lean enough. What exactly is your goal? I.E. tighten and firm your physique, a defined physique, etc.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is - have you ever seen someone who does yoga a lot and is overweight or flabby looking? My guess is probably not. My fitness routine over the last month is yoga, spinning, hiking/snowshoeing, and jogging on the weekends. I'm assuming that will be enough, but I also do these things because I want to, not because I feel obligated to. Do what works and what makes you happy!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So where to do you think your shape comes from? You muscle (whether small or large) dictates that. And I did say it was sufficient.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Correct. You can "tone up" your muscle. When your muscle is "toned up" it's conditioned. To condition the muscle there will be resistance that it has to push/pull against.
    You don't have to believe me. Look it up in a dictionary. I'm letting you know from a professional position.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I guess my question is - have you ever seen someone who does yoga a lot and is overweight or flabby looking?
    Yes. Yoga isn't just for thin people.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AmberRSkelton
    AmberRSkelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It should be if you are doing it several days a week, especially if it is a workout designed to increase strength.
  • msbster82
    msbster82 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would say it depends on what you want. Yoga WILL tone your muscles, to a point. If you are happy with that, and like others said, GO FOR IT! You are lifting your own body weight, which quite honestly, many people can't do even after years of practicing yoga, so it does take more time and patience than weight training. That being said, I personally don't care about lifting tons and tons of weight, and yes, I am well aware that doesn't make a person bulk up either.

I am also not a fan of the gym and the weights. I find them boring as well, and all the videos online show half naked girls who seem to care more about their outfits than the workout. Unimpressed. Most people with health/exerice/nutrition background will probably tell you to do a mix of the three - cardio, yoga, and strength training, but really, it's up to you. I know people who go to the gym and use weights, and I know folks who are just as happy (and look just as good, again my own opinion) doing yoga.

It comes down to personal preference. I'd say like other posters, yoga would half to be done pretty religiously, not just once a week for a half an hour, to see results. So, you may to do yoga longer, and more frequently, but if it makes you happy, then do it.

And quite frankly, zero posters on here should be being rude to you. If people talked to their clients like I've seen them respond to this post, I'd never hire them.

So I say, do what makes you happy, that's where the results will be. There are plenty of people who don't set foot in a gym that are happy and healthy without the weights. Happy downward-dogging!
  • msbster82
    msbster82 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would say it depends on what you want. Yoga WILL tone your muscles, to a point. If you are happy with that, and like others said, GO FOR IT! You are lifting your own body weight, which quite honestly, many people can't do even after years of practicing yoga, so it does take more time and patience than weight training. That being said, I personally don't care about lifting tons and tons of weight, and yes, I am well aware that doesn't make a person bulk up either.

I am also not a fan of the gym and the weights. I find them boring as well, and all the videos online show half naked girls who seem to care more about their outfits than the workout. Unimpressed. Most people with health/exerice/nutrition background will probably tell you to do a mix of the three - cardio, yoga, and strength training, but really, it's up to you. I know people who go to the gym and use weights, and I know folks who are just as happy (and look just as good, again my own opinion) doing yoga.

It comes down to personal preference. I'd say like other posters, yoga would half to be done pretty religiously, not just once a week for a half an hour, to see results. So, you may to do yoga longer, and more frequently, but if it makes you happy, then do it.

And quite frankly, zero posters on here should be being rude to you. If people talked to their clients like I've seen them respond to this post, I'd never hire them.

So I say, do what makes you happy, that's where the results will be. There are plenty of people who don't set foot in a gym that are happy and healthy without the weights. Happy downward-dogging!
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is - have you ever seen someone who does yoga a lot and is overweight or flabby looking?
    Yes. Yoga isn't just for thin people.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly. the reason there are "thin" people is because they never gave up and most likely have another strength training workout included in their schedule. Yoga does help, but as a reference to amazon (haha I'm an internet shopper) I only see it as an "add on" imo..:flowerforyou:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    There are lifters who can bench bress their own bodyweight and more, but cannot hold some of the more intermediate/advanced yoga poses so clearly yoga will help to "tone" your body "to an extent" and far more if you keep at it and are in for the long haul and not just see it as an "add-on". Yoga, approached properly will increase strength, balance and of course flexibility. All of these are important components of what I think you may be referring to as "toning".

For me, yoga is the centre of my practise and a bodyweight/dumbell/kettlebell exercise program is a supplement to gaining the raw strength to begin a new posture which I then refine through the subtleties of yoga practise.

While DVDs are a great way to have a go at some different apprioaches to Yoga, I would recommend you go to a few classes where you will meet likeminded people and have the benefit of a trained teacher who can help you with alignment and progress.

PS: I do Yoga every day and I am at least a stone overweight. But I am losing fat as I practise and am seeing gains in strength without building too much muscle mass.