New around Here and looking for some Ideas :)

Options
Hello! I'm new to here and just starting my weight loss journey. well starting for a second time rather haha seems I couldn't keep the weight off the first time :/ very discouraging! But I've finally managed to pick myself up and shake it off and now i'm ready to try again. I am 5'8" and 226.8 pounds. my ultimate goal weight is 150 lbs but right now i'd settle for 180! I'm looking for some support and ideas on healthy eating and working out even though i'm exausted. I'm a firefighter/emt so with my long stressful shifts it's hard to keep up with eating right and exercising. and unfortunately at my current station we only have a fridge and microwave, so it seems easier sometimes to just go and get fast food. Hope to hear back from some people!

Replies

• graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me! I'm on here daily an have an open diary!
  • Alicia_1981
    Alicia_1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please feel free to add me as well. My diary is open and some days may not be the most helpful (especially when it's ridiculously hot) but most days are ok.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It can be rough to eat on long schedules, but it can be done. You just have to do a little planning ahead of time. I'm working six day weeks and 12 hour days right now, so I don't have much time to myself. I go shopping on my off day and make sure I keep a supply of fresh fruits and veggies in the house to supplement the egg beaters and fake meats (I'm vegetarian) that I can make with relative ease. Protein powder can also be a good way to get some extra protein after a workout or if you just don't want to cook right at that moment.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Stock up on fruits and veggies that don't need to be cooked. Have a pantry with peanut butter, nuts, seeds, other healthy snacks and maybe protein bars so you always have something to turn to! Also, when you do have time to cook, make a meal that will last a few days! I tend to make dinners on Sunday or Monday to last me my whole work week. If you can have a blender at work, you can make smoothies with your fruits and greens like kale or spinach!
  • Janisefr
    Janisefr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just started yesterday. The hardest thing for me so far is eating enough calories. Need to decrease my sugar too. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just started last week, so I'm interested in tips too. Like some of the other people mentioned, I went grocery shopping this weekend and stocked up fruits and vegetables that are easy to have available. I also planned my meals for the week, so I don't have to worry about last minute decisions. I'm also willing to bring healthy leftovers to work to heat up quickly in the microwave. I'll see how the first few weeks go, and see if I can maintain these habits and if they work. Good luck!
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sugar and sodium have been tough for me too!
  • Janisefr
    Janisefr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using a 1200 calorie meal plan. I was excited to find out that I already had most of the food in my house. I know how to shop now I just need to learn how to eat!!