Soup help!?

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
So, I have a can of black eyed peas in my pantry...I bought some chicken stock last week to make soups with. I also have an onion... I could throw some other stuff in the soup but can't decide what kind of protein to use. Would chicken go well with black eyed peas? What else could I put it in and how would I go about making a soup from scratch? Would I just cook everything together in the stock 'til it's all tender?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    That's what I do- cook it all in the stalk until tender. Black eyed peas go great with chicken broth. They have enough protein in them if you just wanna make it a veggie-like soup. Celery adds great falvor as well. I hate raw celery but love what it does to soups.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    1) look for a recipe online. you can go to a recipe site that has a "low cal" setting, search on that with the keywords as the indredients you want to use, it SHOULD give you a few things to use.

2) black eyes peas are protein XD i dont think most meat eaters know that beans can be on their own! you dont need the chicken...unless of course you're craving it and thats what you want. if so? have some! :D

3) pretty sure black eyed peas and chicken are a perfect combo, sounds like a delicious southern meal to me. try some cayenne pepper in there!
  • DiveGal
    DiveGal Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Arielle, I'm not sure what specifically would go with black eyed peas as far as soup goes, but you might try Recipes.com or Recipe.com - they have a recipe for everything.

Regarding HOW to cook it from scratch, I have only made soup from uncooked beans such as great northern or navy beans and they are, as I said, uncooked. So I have to cook them and meat (ham hocks) with onion all day in a crock pot. THEN add frozen veggies toward the end so they don't turn to mush by cooking so long.

If you are using a canned pea/bean, I would guess you could throw everything in together and would only have to cook it until it's all hot. If I could offer a suggestion, I would say not to use canned because there is so much sodium in them. That's why we use frozen veggies if we have a recipe that can't use fresh. There may also be a lot of sodium in the chicken stock, but I can't say that for sure.

I hope you find something on the recipe site. My tastebuds are now psyched for a pot of ham & bean soup!

Robin
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love making minestrone....I have never put blackedeye pea in but it couldn't hurt......
    chicken strock
    2 cans of beans....I usually use black beans and chick peas
    1 can of peas
    1 can of Italian green beans
    carrot ( canned or otherwise)
    1 can of Italian tomatoes
    a jar of spigheti sauce
    2-3 serving of a small whole wheat pasta
    whatever meat or none tastely either way
    throw everything in the pot expect the pasta and cook until hot.
    cook pasta in another pot according to package direction then it in with the rest and cook for 15 more minutes.
    Can be served with parm on top or not.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I know for sure the peas wouldn't be enough protein for me. It would work if I paired it with something else but I'd like something a little higher in protein. I think I will use the chicken...and I didn't think of using the chickpeas!! I still have a can of those.

As far as the sodium - I rinse anything I get from a can.