Drinking and losing weight?

Options
Hi everyone! I always face this huge dilemma. I know for the most effective weight loss, it's best not to drink at all. But being in college, my friends like to drink. My slimmer friends do eat less food when they plan to drink alcohol, thus not go over calorie count.

Now I know, it's not just calories. There's no nutrition in alcohol and it breaks down differently (it's carbs and fats). However, if one were to drink 1-2x's a week (2 gin tonics or 3-4 1 oz shots) and eat completely clean for those days, can one still be on track to lose weight (maybe those be 'cheat days')? I'm just trying to find the best balance of drinking (NOT binge drinking) and losing weight.

Thank you!

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I usually have a drink or two every day (more on special occasions) and did that throughout my weight loss. I just made sure that it fit within my calorie goals and that I met my macros. There were some days where I had to decide between a drink and a snack to stay within the goals.

If I was planning to go to a function where I would drink, I would also make sure it was an exercise day to get some extra calories for a drink or two.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I drink pretty heavily about once a week and haven't had a problem.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, let me say that I make wine and my husband makes (really good) beer and I love them both. I have cut back to lose weight but when I tried to cut it all together, I got depressed! So I drink regularly. No cheat days. I just work it in. It has no nutritional value but I don't cut back on my food. I can't afford to, really. I try to exercise it away and it seems to be going fine.
    Going back to my second glass of Pinot Grigio now. :drinker:
  • sh0emann
    sh0emann Posts: 46
    Options

Same
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just work it in. A glass of dry white wine is about 81 calories, red wine slightly more than that. If I'm going out, I'll start out with a couple of glasses of white wine, then switch to Gin Tonic. Made with diet/slimline tonic, it's 54 calories a glass, which is completely possible to work in.
    In fact, I'm sitting with a glass right now and I've worked it in to me 1300 calories with no problem.
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I drink almond daily...I work it in as snacks...it has slowed my weight loss...but I'm still losing...better to lose slowly and enjoy your life...then to restrain on what you enjoy and be miserable!!!
  • riascheme
    riascheme Posts: 6
    Options
    On days you are drinking, but do not have time to work out that day (but actually), can you just cut back on your calories on those days surrounding that drinking day?

I've tried to read articles about alcohol and weight loss..but it's so unrealistic to never drink - well some people can, but the majority of people do drink!
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Same. :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for the alcohol ..

I drink at least two times a week ..usually friday and saturday..

as long as you plan for it then you should be ok..

the only problem I have is that at about 1am whataburger, waffle house, etc is calling my name...
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    On days you are drinking, but do not have time to work out that day (but actually), can you just cut back on your calories on those days surrounding that drinking day?

That's what I usually do and I haven't had a problem!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I've tried to read articles about alcohol and weight loss..but it's so unrealistic to never drink - well some people can, but the majority of people do drink!

Yes! Just set a limit on the amount of drinks... so you don't go overboard. I just cut them off my fat cals. Make sure you get all the protein, then fats.

For the record: I've been drinking at least 10-15 drinks a week, cutting it down to a reasonable 12. Still lost weight since I started. You just got to have your drunk munchies in check.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I don't even think about it, personally. And when I drink, it's not two drinks...it's like, two bottles of wine. Or several vodka tonics with a bunch of shots on top. You're talking a couple of gin & tonics...don't worry so much about it! If you having a couple of drinks once or twice a week, I wouldn't freak out about your calorie intake the days before & after. If you can't help but worry, try to cut back a some the next day, but nothing to stress about.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I drink and am losing weight. Granted I don't drink nearly as much and as often as when I gained the weight in the first place but as long as you are either fitting it into your deficit or only going over once in a while, you should be fine
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've been just cutting them off my regular calories for the day. Just a pointer... when the carbs go low enough, it doesn't take much ;)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink, pick something low-cal like vodka w/ club soda when you go out to the bar, and bring wine or vodka to parties if you know they will pretty much only have beer (most other girls with thank you for this) ... And I know it's tough, but try to avoid playing drinking games, or get a DD (designated drinker) to play with you (my ex always drank for me when we played beer pong because I can't stand beer ... I think it tastes and smells like someone peed on bread, stuck it in a bottle, covered it with warer, and let it ferment ... lol).

EDIT: Oh, and if you do drink, bring your own munchies, like almonds and raisins, or pistacios (nice and salty), etc ... drunk munchies can undo a whole week's worth of work ... better to have a healthy option rather thank chips, fries, nachos, etc ...
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not fond of the idea of saving calories for alcohol. Even if you are meeting your macros, alcohol is essentially poison. It's not only empty calories, but actually robs you of your nutrition and has a bad affect on your organs. Save it for special occasions.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/344025-the-effects-of-alcohol-on-nutritional-status/
  • Soontobethinlindsay
    Options
    Hey girl, just friend requested ya because you and I are in the same boat. Here is what I have found works to lose weight when you are still want to enjoy the cocktail or two. 1. When you know you are going to be partying that night, work your *kitten* off that morning. I will get on an elliptical for 40 minutes or take an aerobics class at the gym. 2. Kiss those wonderful microbrew beers and sugary margaritas goodbye, they just add up to be too many calories to make it worth it. Instead, sick to light beer, or if you are a liquor gal, mix your stuff with diet soda, club soda, or diet tonic. It is possible to stay on your diet and drink, but drinking does make it harder!