losing my excitement

Options
Since the day after mothers day I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet. I lost 10lbs so fast I was pumped. I then hit my plateau. I'm stuck. So this week I started the 30 day shred, and upped my calories. So I'm intake of food now is about 1400. I've seen no results this week, but my body is dead tired... what are some suggestions ... please....

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Maybe the shred isn't for you.

How did you pick 1200? I am doing just a little more than that, but that is because my metabolism is slow and eat all my exercise calories to net 1230, not eat it.

Sounds like you're not eating enough and you are tired and worn out.

Remember: a week isn't that long. You won't lose unless you log accurately and weigh everything. Exercise makes you look great and be healthy but it is not the primary driver of weight loss.
  • gege0404
    gege0404 Posts: 17
    Options
    First of all, great move to increase calories. What is your activity level? Do you weight train, perform cardio? How many days?
  • erin_bright
    Options
    I'm new at the whole weight loss thing, so I picked 1200 first bc I wasn't sure. I hit my plateau at 170lbs and been stuck. I seen a slimmed down me. But I then upped my intake of food because in reality I was only getting (rounding) 900 calories a day. I enjoy doing my workouts I just don't know why I am stuck. So I tried switching it up.
  • erin_bright
    Options
    And also I'm walking 3 miles a day, doing Pilates and the 30 day shred. Am I building muscle tone maybe?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    And also I'm walking 3 miles a day, doing Pilates and the 30 day shred. Am I building muscle tone maybe?

All this plus only eating 1400 a day? Do you eat back your exercise calories? I nearly died of tired just reading that. I'd be exhausted trying to do all that and eat so little!
  • erin_bright
    Options
    Am I doing something wrong? The responses I'm getting are kinda making me feel I've went about it the wrong way... guess Idk? S
  • JCochran0912
    Options
    I can definately agree with you erin. I have the same problems. When I start out with a new diet and exercise plan I lose a few pounds and then I just stop. I dnt gain anymore or lose anymore. Ive tried eating more and less and exercising. I sometimes feel like Im doing something wrong. So when that happens I give up on it all.. I hope you can find something that works for you!! Good Luck in you journey!!!
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are doing anything "wrong" because it's part of the journey. I don't like the fact that you are tired and so active. I don't know your specifics (I'm just beginning to learn about my own body so I am no expert on yours.). I like the idea of more calories. Maybe try to eat healthy, clean, and whole foods. Let us know. Ill send a friend request. :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting your age, height, weight, job activity level, and 1 lb a week loss goal into MFP to get your calorie goal? That would be my suggestion. It will give you a number of calories to eat on days you don't work out. On days that you do you log that activity under the exercise tab and your daily goal will go up. Eat at least part of those calories back. Your body needs fuel to keep those workouts going.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    With all the exercise you are doing maybe you should up your calories a bit more. I thought I needed to eat less, and exercise more, I tried it and was still plateauing. Last week I ate at 2k calories almost each day and exercised less, and lost 3 pounds, my first loss in 2 months. I had lost 20 pounds really fast and was super pumped like you when I first started as well.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Also remember that when you start a new exercise program and stress your body, your body tries to retain water and protect your muscles as they react, so it may take more than a week to see results. Make sure to give your self at least one rest day, and a day when you do a little bit less exercise to give your self time to recover and adapt.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    lose it you don't need it.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have done the diet thing before, so in my first week it did not surprise me to lose 9 lbs, the second week - doing virtually the same thing I lost 3 lbs. having said that I have a lot more to lose than many people here, and I realize that as I lose more the task will become more difficult. good luck to everyone
  • erin_bright
    Options
    Okay! I'm taking everyone's advice in and I really do appreciate it. Its really helpful to know what to look out for and keep up with. So everyone I'm going to try and change it up a bit. Maybe slow down on the workouts and eat a little more. I want this to.become a part of my life. I know if I do it too quickly it'll all come back. My goal is to be 135lbs, but thats my goal from a year from now. One day at a time. Much love! And thank you!
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think you need more calories.... try 1800.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Am I doing something wrong? The responses I'm getting are kinda making me feel I've went about it the wrong way... guess Idk? S

Not wrong - just super gung-ho on the exercise and calorie restriction. It can take some time to find the right balance. The fact that you're so tired and burning out shows you just need to tweak that balance a bit - up the calories a bit or lower the exercise a bit or a combo of both. You've got this.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A MFP friend just referred me to this article:
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/ask-diet-doctor-how-many-calories-should-i-eat-lose-weight

It's good. Maybe you can get some more info from it that will help you. You have gotten some good advice so far!

Hang in there. You got this...and remember don't always trust the scale. It is a fickle friend. Trust more how your clothes fit, measurements, and photographs.
  • erin_bright
    Options
    OK so I'm going to be upping my calories to 1800, if I chill out on working out some.. say burn only 300 then at least half of those burn I'd need to eat back also? So around 1950 all together? If I'm understanding everyone right? I really enjoy all my workouts so should I alternate between days on which one to do? And thank you everyone, I love how its a total team encouragement here! I appreciate it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you increase your calories to TDEE-20%, don't eat back your calories. I'm 35, 5'5", 166 lbs, and I've been losing steadily 5-6 lbs a month eating closer to 1600-1700 a day (my goal is 1800 but rarely make it).