Pouch be gone!!! Any advise??

Options
I'll admit it, I have a pouch!! Been trying really hard to get rid of it, but it seems like all the ab stuff I do I feel it more in the upper then the lower.
Anyone got any exercise tips or advise on getting rid of this thing???
Thanks!!

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings....and other kettlebell exercises in general.

Since incorporating these into my strength training I have noticed my lower stomach is flatter.

Also, planks and deadlifts.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's more of a diet issue than an exercise issue. The exercises you are doing are strengthening the muscles, but you will likely have to try a calorie-deficit diet in order to reduce your pouch. I wouldn't suggest a drastic one, but if you have some patience, you can try a slight calorie-deficit diet at first and see how that goes?
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    really watching calories....drinking lots of water even more than normal, and Kettlebells are great. When you are laying on the floor with your knees bent like you would for a crunch or a situp try coming up with your hands straight forward on either side of your knees and keep your knees tight together that will burn out some of your lower abs a little. Or suspend your feet up in the air when you are sitting up and take your fists on the outside of your legs and punch down that will help a little too.
  • Sarabelle43
    Options
    Reverse crunches and similar moves work the lower abs more... I always feel the burn after doing those...
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm already eating a strict 1200 cal diet so idk how many more i can take out without being effective negatively :/
  • Katie_Y89
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's more of a diet issue than an exercise issue. The exercises you are doing are strengthening the muscles, but you will likely have to try a calorie-deficit diet in order to reduce your pouch. I wouldn't suggest a drastic one, but if you have some patience, you can try a slight calorie-deficit diet at first and see how that goes?

Well, I'm already at a 1200 cal diet. Maybe i should eat cleaner?? But idk what much else to do, and a calorie deficit would leave too little intake :/
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I did it with the help my pilates reformer, running (any cardio) and a SUPER CLEAN diet (okay, I have some red wine now and again but otherwise SUPER CLEAN) my diary is open if you'd like to see.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce, it'll come off when you lose overall bodyfat
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Besides a deficit? Planks and heavy deadlifts. I think the deadlifts have done more for my abs than any "ab" exercise, ever.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    No easy solution for flat abs. They just aren't as easy to achieve as infomercials would have you believe. Low body fat (lower than average or normal levels if you tend to store fat in your abdomen)+ no bloating (strict diet) + enough abdominal strengthening to make the muscles taught.
  • palachinta
    palachinta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hula hoop. Marissa Tomei used it to get in shape when she filmed The Wrestler.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    water
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Photo Credit George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images
    Stomach pouches, also called visceral fat or abdominal fat, are a common source of embarrassment and can affect your self-image. Fat that appears in your stomach is also more dangerous than fat on other parts of your body and puts you at a greater risk for serious conditions like heart disease, diabetes and even breast cancer. While spot exercises can firm your stomach, you'll need to lose overall body weight to make the pouches disappear. Take steps to eliminate your stomach fat by following some effective methods for success.

Step 1

Create a calorie deficit. Successful weight loss requires you to burn a higher number of calories than you consume each day. MayoClinic.com suggests eliminating 500 calories from your daily diet to lose around 1 lb. every seven days, since 1 l.b equals roughly 3,500 calories. Record your calorie intake in a journal to help you stay on track.

Sponsored Links

Withdrawal Home Remedies You Can Overcome Withdrawal Symptom On Your Own. See How to Do It Here. symptomfind.com/Withdrawal

Step 2

Scale down your servings. Eating less equals fewer calories, so aim to consume smaller portions of food during mealtimes.

Step 3

Exercise regularly. Perform at least 30 minutes of steady aerobic activity on most days of your week to lose weight, although the more you exercise the more calories you will burn. Popular aerobic activities include brisk walking, water aerobics, cycling or stair climbing machines. Your abdomen is typically the first area to show improvements.

Step 4

Choose a quit day. People who smoke are more likely to have fat in the stomach than in the thighs or hips, so ask your doctor about methods to remove nicotine from your life.

Step 5

Ask the waitress for seafood. Most fresh seafood contains healthy fat, while some fish like salmon carry omega-3 fatty acids that may lower your chance for heart problems.

Step 6

Chisel your frame. Working with weights aids your body's ability to burn away stomach pouches. Choose a weight level that feels comfortable but still provides a challenge and get your doctor's permission before any lifting. Carve out time for three workouts each week that last between 20 and 30 minutes.

Step 7

Add relaxation into your schedule. Some people with high amounts of stress, as well as those with high levels of hostility, tend to accumulate more fat in the stomach than in other areas of the body.

Step 8

Examine small details. Polyunsaturated fats are better for your body than saturated fats and trans fats, while fruits and vegetables with complex carbohydrates are recommended over refined pasta or white bread with simple carbs.

Step 9

Reward your stomach. Healthy snacks include molasses cookies, carrot sticks, gingersnaps and fig bars. Avoid fried treats and soft drinks or candy with sugar.

Step 10

Count sheep consistently. Stomach fat often increases when you get less than five hours or more than eight hours of sleep each night. Aim for a healthy period of rest as often as possible.

FROM LIVESTRONG
  • Katie_Y89
    Options
    Photo Credit George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images
    Stomach pouches, also called visceral fat or abdominal fat, are a common source of embarrassment and can affect your self-image. Fat that appears in your stomach is also more dangerous than fat on other parts of your body and puts you at a greater risk for serious conditions like heart disease, diabetes and even breast cancer. While spot exercises can firm your stomach, you'll need to lose overall body weight to make the pouches disappear. Take steps to eliminate your stomach fat by following some effective methods for success.

Step 1

Create a calorie deficit. Successful weight loss requires you to burn a higher number of calories than you consume each day. MayoClinic.com suggests eliminating 500 calories from your daily diet to lose around 1 lb. every seven days, since 1 l.b equals roughly 3,500 calories. Record your calorie intake in a journal to help you stay on track.

Sponsored Links

Withdrawal Home Remedies You Can Overcome Withdrawal Symptom On Your Own. See How to Do It Here. symptomfind.com/Withdrawal

Step 2

Scale down your servings. Eating less equals fewer calories, so aim to consume smaller portions of food during mealtimes.

Step 3

Exercise regularly. Perform at least 30 minutes of steady aerobic activity on most days of your week to lose weight, although the more you exercise the more calories you will burn. Popular aerobic activities include brisk walking, water aerobics, cycling or stair climbing machines. Your abdomen is typically the first area to show improvements.

Step 4

Choose a quit day. People who smoke are more likely to have fat in the stomach than in the thighs or hips, so ask your doctor about methods to remove nicotine from your life.

Step 5

Ask the waitress for seafood. Most fresh seafood contains healthy fat, while some fish like salmon carry omega-3 fatty acids that may lower your chance for heart problems.

Step 6

Chisel your frame. Working with weights aids your body's ability to burn away stomach pouches. Choose a weight level that feels comfortable but still provides a challenge and get your doctor's permission before any lifting. Carve out time for three workouts each week that last between 20 and 30 minutes.

Step 7

Add relaxation into your schedule. Some people with high amounts of stress, as well as those with high levels of hostility, tend to accumulate more fat in the stomach than in other areas of the body.

Step 8

Examine small details. Polyunsaturated fats are better for your body than saturated fats and trans fats, while fruits and vegetables with complex carbohydrates are recommended over refined pasta or white bread with simple carbs.

Step 9

Reward your stomach. Healthy snacks include molasses cookies, carrot sticks, gingersnaps and fig bars. Avoid fried treats and soft drinks or candy with sugar.

Step 10

Count sheep consistently. Stomach fat often increases when you get less than five hours or more than eight hours of sleep each night. Aim for a healthy period of rest as often as possible.

FROM LIVESTRONG

Thank you for posting this, some of the tips are helpful but here's where im at:

1200 cal/day
    30DS a day+ squats+abs=30-40min a day
    don't smoke, or drink, strict diet
    and i'm a dancer so I dance 3 days a week and don't eat when I'm at work (7 hours)

i feel lost!!!I'm scared that if I gain any more abd. muscle it'll poke out more!!!
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm already at a 1200 cal diet. Maybe i should eat cleaner?? But idk what much else to do, and a calorie deficit would leave too little intake :/
    It sounds to me that you're doing everything you can. It's probably just going to take time. But it'll happen.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Like lots of people say, you cannot spot reduce. I am not sure how you feel about workout DVD's but I would definitely suggest Jillian Michael's Six Week Six Pack. It really helped with that area. I did not get a six pack, like the DVD states, but it toned up the core and pooch area quite some bit. It's like $10.00 online and at Walmart.
  • Katie_Y89
    Options
    Like lots of people say, you cannot spot reduce. I am not sure how you feel about workout DVD's but I would definitely suggest Jillian Michael's Six Week Six Pack. It really helped with that area. I did not get a six pack, like the DVD states, but it toned up the core and pooch area quite some bit. It's like $10.00 online and at Walmart.

I love Jillian!! Im currently doing the 30 day shred and then next week adding ripped in 30 to the mix too. I bought her new ab dvd, but its not 6 week six pack. Tried to find that one but couldnt. Maybe ill just try the one i have. Thanks!!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Eat at a (reasonable) deficit to reduce body fat, and be patient. You can't pick and chose where fat comes off first, unfortunately, so you just have to be consistent until you get the results you want.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Eat at a (reasonable) deficit to reduce body fat, and be patient. You can't pick and chose where fat comes off first, unfortunately, so you just have to be consistent until you get the results you want.

This is 100% the correct answer. You can do 10,000 situps a day, but it's not going to make the fat leave that part of the body first.

A reasonable deficit means that you might actually not be eating enough..
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

ABS are made in the kitchen