Outer left foot cramping up on walk?

Options
The outside edge of my left foot has started cramping up on EVERY walk, whether it's on the treadmill or outside. It happens within the first 5 minutes. It's not (yet) debilitating, and I've been able to walk through it most of the time, but it's getting worse every time.

I was fitted for these shoes at the end of May. They are verrrry good shoes from the local specialty running/shoe (Gribbles) store (not a chain), and until recently they were perfect and felt great. I have no other injuries; in fact, my knees are much better than they were months ago. My right foot has a 'little' of the same pain, but I hardly notice it.

I am still using good socks, and wearing good shoes. These shoes don't have that many miles on them, or wear.

I have tried taking time off from walking....no change. I have tried walking every day....no change.

Is there a fairly inexpensive way to remedy this, if any of you have experience with it?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    drink more water before you start?

maybe you need to get new insoles?
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you have been running/walking, maybe you have worn through the shoes?

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--268-0,00.html

Also, could you be tying them too tight or not tight enough? That is the area of my foot that bothers me, too, and I find sometimes I tie my shoes too tight or not tight enough.
  • linda0429
    Options
    I cramp if it is too hot or just because. I go thought spurts about every 6-8 week or so. I have had blood work and everything is fine. I drink tonic water for the quinine. You can mix with juice. Or you can find leg cramp pills with quinine that I keep by the bed for the leg cramps. After a few days it stops until it starts again. I drink loads of water and eat healthy. No reason I can figure.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I haven't 'worn' my shoes out. :) I've also tried tying them in different ways, but I hadn't changed the laces when my foot started hurting.

Maybe insoles...but I have no idea what to look for or get. I think if I go back to the shoe store, they will just try to sell me new shoes!

I drink plenty of water, so that isn't it. When I didn't drink enough (and that didn't take long to correct) my cramps came in my calves/legs.

Thanks for the help though!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    try stretching and adding a few more ounces of water into your day
  • Losingfast
    Options
    sometimes its a matter of bad shoes - support. There are at some stores - I know walmart that has a machine you stand on and based on the results tells you what supports would help you. Water, potassium and Magnesium helped my foot cramps.