5:2 diet??

Options
I've heard a little bit about the 5:2 Diet last night, has anyone does this? Got success from it? Tell me more about it if you have please as i'm interested!

Thanks

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 4.5lbs in three weeks Im now into my 4th week and wont be weighing myself until Friday.

Although the weight is coming off Im also feeling highly energised, my skin is looking good and Im finding Im not very hungry on feed days.

You should watch the doco and read the book. There are a couple of 5:2 groups here some are busy some aren't. Also the fast diet website is very useful to have a look around on
  • kat239
    kat239 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi I did and yes I does work the only problem I found is that its not very sociable if you have a family. You really have to plan you do over come the hunger pans. I would plan a fast day then my husband would come in and say lets go out for tea, or with our weather been so unpredictable if it was nice he would then so lets have a BBQ so on and so on. Just was no good for me but a lot of people have lost on it. X
  • buggings
    buggings Posts: 18
    Options
    Oooooh, this sounds interesting! I would love to hear some other takes on it!
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    On my second week of 5:2. I have stuck to my fast days and also calorie count on non-fast days as I need to shift a few pounds (understatement). Lost 3lbs the first week and am on track to lose the same this week.

Hubby is supportive and eats what I eat for breakfast and evening meal which may consist eggs and ham for breakfast and chicken/tuna and salad, for evening meal. He eats at work and I miss lunch with a small amount of nuts for a snack. I am usually under my 500 calories as I also go to the gym on these days.
    I have found this week, I am less hungry on my fast days...yay!!

Please feel free to add me if you need a diet buddy :wink:
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5/2 since 4th Feb, and am down 23lbs I find it is very good if you socialize a lot its only 2 days a week so if you don!t manage one day you move to another. Just plan your low calorie days to 500 female /600 male and you do get used to your low calorie days. But be careful you are not too crazy on you eating days as the lbs won!t drop.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi! I did the 5:2 between November and February and loved it! I lost a lot of weight whilst doing it and like someone else said, felt surprisingly energised!

I then went on Holiday in February and could not get back into it HOWEVER, despite calorie counting since February I have lost very little weight since stopping the 5:2 - I actually started it again on Monday and am feeling very optimistic!

I would definitely recommend it to anyone, no harm in giving it a go right?!
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5:2 since January 2013 and have lost 25 lb so far. It's the main reason I've lost weight and i agree with others that you shouldn't over eat on eating days as you will put all the weight back on. Another nice side effect is that it makes you feel like you've got an invisible gastric band as the day after fasting yo get full quickly and it's hard to eat a lot - especially greasy junk food!

I also love the mentality of treating those 500 cals like money on fast days - you want to get as much food/substance from as little cals as possible so it forces you to mostly eat fruits or vegs as they are the most filling for very little calories. This encourages you to eat cleaner meals and cook from scratch on eating days too!
  • Loveisaiah
    Loveisaiah Posts: 51
    Options
    What does the 5:2 diet consist of? Maybe I should do it
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi I did and yes I does work the only problem I found is that its not very sociable if you have a family. You really have to plan you do over come the hunger pans. I would plan a fast day then my husband would come in and say lets go out for tea, or with our weather been so unpredictable if it was nice he would then so lets have a BBQ so on and so on. Just was no good for me but a lot of people have lost on it. X

I've just started 5:2 and I cope with this by eating all my calories in the evening. This means I get a long fast and my husband gets a normal dinner. I have what he has, just a smaller portion. You can get a big dinner for 500 calories if you have lots of vegetables. No reason at all why you can't have a BBQ, either, or go out to dinner. Just move your fast to the next day.
  • jetlag
    Options
    What does the 5:2 diet consist of? Maybe I should do it

Two days a week you eat 500 (female) / 600 (male) calories. The other 5 days you eat "normally", by which I mean 2000 calories a day or so. It's not a licence to eat crap the rest of the week. The real benefits come with the health mods as 5:2 and IF or ADF are shown to target visceral fat rather than muscle. thefastdiet.co.uk has everything you need to get started.
  • Harmony2376
    Harmony2376 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This seems like a real craze at the moment, all my OHs work mates are doing it.
    Question: are you supposed to do the two fast days consecutively? Or just any two days within a week?

OH thought he'd try it yesterday, had nothing at all to eat at all, then a few pints and some Skyline chilli. That cant be healthy? I think I'd rather stick to my calorie counting, since it is making me eat healthily and exercise more, which is way more of a lifestyle change
  • jennimc13
    jennimc13 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am into my 5th week of 5:2 and lost 20lbs of weight (26lbs of fat :)) I dont normally do my fast days consecutively, usually stick with mondays and wednesdays because they tend to be busy days at work and not so much down time to think about eating! The great thing is that you can vary these days each week to fit in with whatever you are doing. The fast days are getting easier, its amazing how much food you can actually eat for 500 kcals if you are organised!

good luck everyone x
  • jetlag
    Options
    This seems like a real craze at the moment, all my OHs work mates are doing it.
    Question: are you supposed to do the two fast days consecutively? Or just any two days within a week?

OH thought he'd try it yesterday, had nothing at all to eat at all, then a few pints and some Skyline chilli. That cant be healthy? I think I'd rather stick to my calorie counting, since it is making me eat healthily and exercise more, which is way more of a lifestyle change

Erm, no, I would not recommend alcohol and chilli on a fast day lol I repeat, it's not an excuse to eat crap, you still need to eat healthily, it just employs the principles of calorie shifting, e.g. that we've evolved to go for periods without food; that feast and famine or more natural ways of eating. You effectively get the same number of calories, you just have 5 normal calorie days and 2 (don't have to be consecutive) low cal days. Lots of good science to back it up.
  • jetlag
    Options
    I am into my 5th week of 5:2 and lost 20lbs of weight (26lbs of fat :)) I dont normally do my fast days consecutively, usually stick with mondays and wednesdays because they tend to be busy days at work and not so much down time to think about eating! The great thing is that you can vary these days each week to fit in with whatever you are doing. The fast days are getting easier, its amazing how much food you can actually eat for 500 kcals if you are organised!

good luck everyone x

In 5 weeks! That's impressive. Can you give us an idea how much, and what sort of things, you eat on feast days?
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 for two or three weeks when I have a special occasion coming up. It certainly works for me.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options

good luck everyone x

OMG that is a lot of weight for five weeks. Do you mean 15 weeks? If not this must hold the record for such loss as the book reckons a loss of a pound a week for most people
  • jennimc13
    jennimc13 Posts: 37
    Options
    It was 5 weeks not 15, but I guess I have a lot to lose so first few weeks think my body went into shock and chucked out all the retained water! On non fast days I am counting my calories, trying to keep the balance of everything. I have really reduced my carb intake but only to a normal level, was eating far too much before. Eating lots more fish, eggs, veggies and less snacks and junk food. Thats not to say it is all healthy, I still manage to fit in some wine and chocolate :) I am not expecting to lose 20lb every 5 weeks, realistically I would like to lose 1-2lb per week and I will be happy...slow and steady wins the race as they say. I have also started to excerise which I didnt really do much of before. Basically..I eat less and move more..the best way to lose weight :)
  • Netteyc
    Netteyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I did the 5:2 diet for a few weeks last year. I lost 3lb in a month even though I was watching my calories on my feed days. I can lose more than that a month eating 1200 calories a day and not having to starve myself 2 days a week.
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of it and have lost 6lb already :)
    I read the book before I started and it actually has amazing health benefits.

I usually have fruit or boiled egg in the morning and then something with salad in the evening or some soup.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Some argue it's easier to do two consecutive, others fit the days into work / social constraints.