Overweight causing snoring...

Options
Ok here is a question for you all... wondering what is the common thought out there. As allot of us are over weight we know that it has a tendency to sleep to sleeping issues and one normal one is snoring. Minus the aid of a CPAP any one have luck or good / bad experience with anti-snoring aids?

Replies

• lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was losing weight.
  • DanellaK
    DanellaK Posts: 19
    Options
    Have you ever thought of trying a dental appliance. I work in an ENT office and it really works for some of our patients. Not everyone can tolerate a CPAP and non-invasive unlike surgical intervention.
  • EastEndEric
    EastEndEric Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Had the UPPP operation removing part of the dingle-dangle uvula from the back of my throat...which was to help (I was +25 lbs and would keep my wife up)...Most painful operation...2 week recover was hell (never realized how much one swallows!)

After the recovery...still snored. Would've been better off just losing the weight. D'oh.
  • tfagler
    tfagler Posts: 30
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was losing weight.

and 112 lbs lost is VERY very impresive
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When I started, I snored every night...more than my fiance which was embarassing. Now that I have lost weight I do not snore unless there has been some drinking going on...:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There is a product here in Ireland called Silence. I have been the worst snorer in the world... but when I started using this my husband quit complaining about the snoring. Also the nose strips can help.... Breathe right.... The spray is like a mousse or foam and put two sprays in the back of your throat on your soft palate. It firms it up so that there is less vibrations.... It really does work....of course the weight off has helped... but used the silence in the beginning and it did work.
  • tfagler
    tfagler Posts: 30
    Options
    Have you ever thought of trying a dental appliance. I work in an ENT office and it really works for some of our patients. Not everyone can tolerate a CPAP and non-invasive unlike surgical intervention.

Yea there is one that I was fitted and RX'd to try but its in the area just south of $2k and insurance wont cover so its not within my reach at this moment.
  • mrstullier09
    Options

I am currently on CPAP and have been for about 6 months now. I just can't seem to get used to this darn machine and sleeping with the mask, therefore, it is not helping my Sleep Apnea. I've thought about doing the dental appliance but don't know where to start and whether or not my insurance will pay for it. Can you help?
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was on cpap for a while... I couldn't wear the mask.... I got the nasal cannula... was very effective and very comfortable... check with your supplier and see if they can get you a nasal cannula for your machine. best wishes.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had some really messed up sinus issues as well as a badly deviated septum. The doc said it was like I was trying to breath through one of those itty bitty coffee stirring straws. I would sleep with my mouth open so I could breath and would snore...badly. I had surgery Feb. 09, worst pain in my entire life. I will NEVER have anything surgical done to my face again. Anyway, after they "roto-rootered" my sinuses, created drain holes and cut out the excess bone blocking the passages, my snoring is greatly reduced. If I sleep with my mouth closed my boyfriend says I am as quiet as a mouse. When it lolls open as they are wont to do, he says I kind of burble with my lips on the exhale. Still drool.

I had a sleep study done Dec. 08 because of the snoring and poor sleep. No apnea, yes to snoring and had restless leg syndrome. Reccomendation was to lose weight. They were the ones that mentioned that I slept with my mouth open and to check with an ENT doc about the lack of nasal breathing. I did, and now I am much better. Didn't know what I had been missing breathing wise.
  • JosephTucker
    Options
    I use to not snore until I became over weight and yes, I got a cpap machine and I do not snore anymore. so far, I have lost 67 pounds and when I get to 100, I might try to sleep with it and see what happens. Good luck on finding something.
  • DanellaK
    DanellaK Posts: 19
    Options

I am currently on CPAP and have been for about 6 months now. I just can't seem to get used to this darn machine and sleeping with the mask, therefore, it is not helping my Sleep Apnea. I've thought about doing the dental appliance but don't know where to start and whether or not my insurance will pay for it. Can you help?
    You would start with your ENT, they should have someone they refer to. Usually a dentist with training in sleep disorder breathing is where they would send you. It is generally not covered by medical insurance, but if you can show sleep apnea(i'm sure you've had a sleep study as you are on the CPAP) and that you can't tolerate the CPAP(they take your word for it after you have been using it awhile) some medical insurances and I would think all dental insurances should cover some if not most of the cost. I don't know where you are but if you are in CA, San Mateo County, I could give you some of the DDS's we refer to. Good luck.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    I used to get dreadful sleep apnoea waking up all the time with my heart pounding like nothing I've experienced. When really bad I used to just sleep sitting up in a chair. I sleep well now even though I am still >300 lbs. I stopped smoking, stopped drinking, used nasal strips and a good hot drink at bedtime or just a gargle,
    j
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you tried a different mask?? There's A LOT of different styles, shapes, sizes and kinds. It took me a few tries to find one i liked and was comfortable sleeping with.
  • mrstullier09
    Options
    Have you tried a different mask?? There's A LOT of different styles, shapes, sizes and kinds. It took me a few tries to find one i liked and was comfortable sleeping with.

I've tried just the nose mask but since i am a mouth breather at night i feel like it is suffocating me, blowing air down my passage and making me gasp. Therefore, I have to have the full face mask but it is not helping. I have another sleep study in about 3 weeks for my doctor to find out how i am sleeping on the CPAP. I will ask him to recommend me for the dental applicance since i think it would be easier to sleep with that instead of something strapped around my face.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    For me losing weight helped as well. I don't snore anymore.