Low kcal & high cardio doesn't work- try something new

Options
The reason I decided to write this post was after talking to a friend and looking at some pics from last summer to now after two different approaches to 'weight' loss after i saw a pic of myself in the same top

Ok So Around this time last year I signed up for the Spartan Sprint and had about a month to lose a bit of weight while do some training. It was the first time i had done anything properly since being discharged from physio after tearing my ACL in my knee.

Now I followed alot of myths and now i have more knowledge I have realised how hard it is not to fall into these traps when starting out there!

I was eating very low calories virtually no carbs lets say around 1200 probably less on other days doing herbalife shakes twice a day and doing insanity 6 days a week I was tired injured grumpy and lacked any motivation or energy to live i was a shell

I managed to do the spartan sprint and finished around the 55 min mark not that great but the scale showed a 2 stone loss in weight so i was feeling very good...

Fast forward to March this year I had fallen back into old habits gained the weight back and even more and my fat jeans were starting to pull on my legs/ waist. I had given up around september i was physically and mentally exhausted doing intense cardio and low fuel basically running on empty for 4 months put me in a bad place.

So where am i now? Over the past 14 weeks I've gone back to basics I started at one day a week lifting and 1 day spin class invested some time into looking past the myths and promoted products and made my own decisions through trial and error rather than believe the quick fix schemes

stats wise I've lost 25 lbs in 13 weeks of fat my body fat % has dropped and my lean mass has gone up I eat roughly 2200-2500 calories a day which is about 20% off my TDEE

I no longer restrict myself from my fav foods i'm just sensible with my choices even having a cheat meal

I lift 3 times a week do 3 cardio sessions a week and one circuit made up of tabida and resistance training.

In the picture below on the left I weigh 10 lbs less than i do now but i think it's safe to say i look much better on the right as i slowly progress.

This isn't a post to boost my ego or anything it's more of a release that you can make changes and nothing is more important than your own research and trial and error. From now on this is a lifestyle change no more diets no short term goals just focusing on enjoying my training and results will continue to happen

10monthsdiff.jpg

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A well rounded workout regimen and enough fuel.......works for me!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Exactly no need to be restrictive just enjoy your training and life
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    While you've made it clear that this post isn't to "boost your ego", I do think recognition should be given for turning it around and learning from your experience. So, great job! And definitely agree that this is journey is mostly about trials and errors, as well as learning from them.
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm with you! low cal and high cardio has always given me fast results, but i can't maintain that. couple that with a tendency towards certain eating disorder traits and I go from 6 months getting super skinny to 6 months binging and eating all the foods my body has craved and piling on more than I started

I've just started (3 months or so in) weights work and eating more and eating balanced food , some chocolate or ice cream daily and starting to meet up with a long lost friend 'carbs' .. I'm loosing inches faster and my body seems to have discovered a metabolism which means I can have 'normal' meals and not gain instantly, brilliant,

I don't lift to bulk and I don't lift to be one of those tough women, I don't want muscles ... but the amount it has helped me with fat loss is amazing. Wish I tried it earlier