Exercise with mouth stitches?

Options
I had a tooth cut out two days ago and have eight stitches. My face looks like I took a right hook from someone! I can't decided if I need to wait to exercise. I don't want to but I am worried about stitches tearing and throbbing.

What to do?

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I had a tooth cut out two days ago and have eight stitches. My face looks like I took a right hook from someone! I can't decided if I need to wait to exercise. I don't want to but I am worried about stitches tearing and throbbing.

What to do?

Light Impact if you are worried about it.

If you are thinking cardio then walk, slow jog, lunges, and etc.

If you are thinking strength training then use a bit lower weight and take it a bit slower.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't see how stiches in your mouth would tear during exercise...but maybe just keep things light/low impact and see how it goes.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    What does your dentist say? I would think mild exercise would be okay.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to avoid any exercie which would make the blood pump too vigorously round the head - so walking or slow cardio would be better. I had a tooth out last year and what really surpised me was the advice NOT to drink through a straw :noway:

I'd ring the surgery and ask to speak to someone (but I'm surprised they didn't give you a sheet of advice to follow). If you're still taking pain killers you shouldn't exercise anyway as they can mask any injury/strain you pick up.
  • Joe7178
    Joe7178 Posts: 105
    Options
    if you lift heavy and make faces then I'd say just lower the weight i know i'd be doomed with those stitches.
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't see how stiches in your mouth would tear during exercise...but maybe just keep things light/low impact and see how it goes.
    I don't know it is just a fear. I guess maybe not the stitches themselves tearing, but the skin being held together by them tearing! I'm in enough pain without adding to it.

I didn't think to ask my dentist as it was the furthest thing from my mind....I am a wus when it comes to the dentist
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'd leave it heal
  • here2bme
    Options
    The important thing is to avoid any exercie which would make the blood pump too vigorously round the head - so walking or slow cardio would be better. I had a tooth out last year and what really surpised me was the advice NOT to drink through a straw :noway:

I'd ring the surgery and ask to speak to someone (but I'm surprised they didn't give you a sheet of advice to follow). If you're still taking pain killers you shouldn't exercise anyway as they can mask any injury/strain you pick up.
    Thanks for the advice. They did give my an information sheet, but exercise is not listed as a do or don't. I am still on pain killers but only half of one plus ibuprofen now.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was adviced not to work out for 1 week. I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out at once, though.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would stick with low impact cardio, walking and what not. Like another poster said getting the blood flowing through exercise can cause swelling and complicate the healing process. Personal example; I got stung by a bee on my foot walking to the gym my freshman year of college, I brushed it off, said I would take care of it after my workout. I took care of the sting after the gym. Well the next day my foot was so swollen I could barely walk. I had to go to the health center and get a shot of prednisone, and could not exercise for a couple weeks. So basically be careful and heal first. I'm guessing with a sore mouth you're food intake will probably be lower anyways, so taking some time off exercise wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
  • here2bme
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I guess I will take it easy for a few days.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. They did give my an information sheet, but exercise is not listed as a do or don't. I am still on pain killers but only half of one plus ibuprofen now.

these might be messing with your judgement.

1) if you're already in pain proceed cautiously. call the dentist office and tell them exaclty what kind of workout you're considering.
    2) it sounds like oral surgery you had, that's no joke take it easy for a couple more days.
    3) don't forget you can always adjust your goals to "sedentary" for a couple days until you are back in action.
    4) a shorter break is better than a longer one caused by complications from overdoing it too soon.
    5) stitches might be secure but you're gonna kick yourself if it starts to throb.

I once went to a meeting with an attorney immediately after having my wisdom teeth removed but before picking up my pain meds prescription. Even that was hard. Way more painful than it needed to be.
  • here2bme
    Options
    Great advice MyChocolateDiet! Love your name by the way!