Diet Coke

Options
Does diet coke hinder weight loss?.. Im personally not a big fan of it but when im out and substitute other temptations with diet coke is it hindering my weight loss?

Replies

• evelina_anville
    Options
    I've lost over 20 pounds drinking Diet Pepsi every day. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but I don't believe it hinders weight loss in itself.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My opinion:

It doesn't necesarily hinder weight loss, but it does not help with hydration. Any carbinated or caffinated drinks tend to promote dehydration. When you are dehydrated your body burns fat less, you become tired quickly, etc. So one is ok, but given the choice, grab a water.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    I drink way too much of it. I've still lost and gained weight over the past few years depending on my intake otherwise. Some people say it makes them crave sweets or feel ill, but I've never had any of that effect from drinking it. I would like to cut down though, if only because of the cost more than anything.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I always thought that caffeine speeds up metabolism.( Not sure if you are drinking caffeine free)... That is why it is in diet pills. I have read that drinking diet sodas or other artificial beverages can bloat you and also make you crave sugar. Real sugar or other sweets. I haven't a clue as to whether any of it is scientific or proven. BTW ..I drink diet coke....it is something I haven't kicked yet. : )
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My opinion:

It doesn't necesarily hinder weight loss, but it does not help with hydration. Any carbinated or caffinated drinks tend to promote dehydration. When you are dehydrated your body burns fat less, you become tired quickly, etc. So one is ok, but given the choice, grab a water.

This isn't true. Anything liquid will hydrate you. I'm not saying diet soda is GOOD for you, but it doesn't dehydrate you. There's been times in my life when the only thing I drank was diet soda, and if dehydrated or even didn't hydrate you, I'd be dead. :laugh:

I drink some diet soda every day. Usually in the morning because I don't like coffee, and drink water the rest of the day.

Some people have bad reactions to artificial sweeteners, like headaches or cravings, and those people should avoid it. Just like people who are allergic to strawberries should avoid strawberries.
  • jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I have a large diet coke from McDonald's five mornings a week (not sure what it is, but McDs Diet Coke is the best), anyway...I drink water the rest of the day and don't really crave DC other than in the morning. I used to drink it all day and no bloat for me, but it definitely bloats my husband when he drinks it. Something to do with the artificial sweetener I think.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soda/energy drinks like crazy. Now that I haven't had any for about a year I cannot stand to drink them.

What I have heard is that diet sodas by themselves do not necessarily hinder weight loss. Since the game is all about caloric deficit. I heard that they can make you have stronger sugar cravings. If these cravings lead you to eat a doughnut , then yes they hinder the process....

Sure there are better choices. If it is what gets you through the day, then why not have one ( assuming they do not lead to cheating)?
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only drink water now days, but when i was on a diet i would have it for lunch and dinner. I never had a issue with it.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No it won't hinder you I drink a diet soda everyday in the morning sometimes one in the afternoon for the caffeine. It's never stopped me from losing weight but I do drink a lot of water the rest of the time.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Is there anything in diet coke specifically, that is bad for your body? I was researching, and it seems like the only reason it's bad for you is because of the potential to crave sugar or overeat or things like that. The caffeine dehydrates you, sure, but they have caffeine free, and it's not like you don't get caffeine from drinking coffee or green tea. So is there anything really wrong with diet soda itself?
  • Gogetter1314
    Options
    Thanx for all the response. really helpful. Not addicted to diet coke but I do substitute it for normal coke once a week when im out.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    In for the inevitable roll
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero, Mountain Dew Sugar free probably every other day. Not stopped me losing weight.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Did not hinder mine.
  • Patriots96
    Patriots96 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a Type 1 diabetic, on an insulin pump, I have to drink diet soda due to sugar content in regular soda. Been drinking diet soda since I was diagnosed 18 years ago and have not found it to hinder my weight loss or make me crave sweets. I do drink mostly water but will have diet Mtn Dew, Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi if I go out to eat. I drink the decaffeinated stuff at night so I don't have trouble falling asleep. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of negative things about diet sodas, but my daily Diet Coke is about the only vice I have left! I used to drink 3-4 a day, but now I just have one every afternoon. It's my treat and I enjoy it. Other than that one Diet Coke, I drink water - lots and lots of water. I usually surpass the MFP recommended 8 cups. I figure that one Diet Coke isn't going to hurt me as long as I'm staying hydrated.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    It's one of those things that there haven't been many independent studies on.

It has zero calories. It has sodium. It's sweet. It has artificial sweetners. After that, your best guess is as good as anyone elses. There simply isn't a whole lot of independent research data on these trademarked products. So it's a case of whatever works for you.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't make me crave sweets at all. In fact, a diet A&W or diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper will take care of my worst sweet cravings. I'm diabetic, so avoiding sugar is a necessity for me. I drink mainly water, but I would never give up the occasional diet soda because I don't see a reason to give it up.