Post workout protein?

Options
Would having a protein type of drink be ok for a post workout meal? I work 3rd shift and when I get home I am about ready to crash, so trying to squeeze in a heavy protein meal isn't gonna work. I was thinking if I can get a protein drink for the ride home from work if that will be a good enough boost to recover for my body.

Any thoughts or ideas would be amazing!

Replies

• mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Unless you are looking for that extra 2% benefit that will make the difference in winning the powerlifting competition, then I wouldn't worry about the timing of your protein intake. As long as you get enough on a daily basis, you should be fine. If you're more tired than hungry after your workout, sleep.
  • simmonsk4
    simmonsk4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That can be an easy way to get it in. Just make sure it is not a soy protein, and pay attention to how much sugar is in the protein powder itself.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you're more tired than hungry after your workout, sleep.

Sadly I am, however, it's just because being the time of day it is not the work out.

I get what you are saying though, about just making sure I get my daily protein in.

Follow up question... What are some good / inexpensive protein powders? If you happen to know of any that is.
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey...try it and thank me later :)
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was having problems recovering from exercise and I've found having a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing an exercise session has really helped. I find the shakes much more filling than the bars. I also tried boiled eggs and banana with peanut butter too which also worked quite well but the shakes are convenient if you are on the go.
    Maybe also get into the habit of keeping suitable high protein items in your bag or car so there is always something to hand.
    I hope that is helpful.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey...try it and thank me later :)

QFT.

I've also heard a lot of good things about Trutein, but I've never used it myself.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Follow up question... What are some good / inexpensive protein powders? If you happen to know of any that is.

My wife usually picks up the Six Star Whey Protein. I have no idea where it fits on the price scale, and it's the only one I've tried, so I have no taste comparison either, but I certainly like it.

You may find the bars more convenient, and Quest nutrition makes some AMAZINGLY good protein bars.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I have protein shake before and after my weight workouts. With Rice milk. Some good brands iv had are Optimum Nutrition 100% whey, is great. And at the moment iv been having Cellucore Whey as well, which im finding great as well. Expecially the Peanut Butter and Marshmellow flavour. yum yum.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition

Trutein is a bit more expensive (a few bucks extra) but the flavors are outstanding, macros are about the same as ON.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Two Options:

1) Optimum Nutrition Whey- Good post workout.

2)Optimum Nutrition Casein- slower digesting. This is good for before bed. I also use it for breakfast when I am in a hurry.

I recommend chocolate flavor for both. Get a blender bottle. When you do mix a drink together error on the side of less water to avoid grittiness. Casein can be hard to mix without lumps, but a little practice and you will get it.

Each provides about 22-24 g of protein, 3g of carbs, ~110 calories/ serving
  • gege0404
    gege0404 Posts: 17
    Options
    A post workout shake is definitely a great idea. You should consume this within 45 mns of working out to feed your muscles. Trutein protein powder is an excellent choice. Flavors are are delicious.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    u can have the protein shake for at home but have some protein bars in the car if that is how u get to work in case u feel like some whilst on the way home
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Any decent brand of protein powder will suffice. In terms of quality, most (but not all) will have the same amino acid profile. Others will have probiotics, digestive enzymes or something else added but the quantity will be insufficient to even be worth the extra money you pay. All you really need is whey protein concentrate or isolate (again, a few extra bucks but not any worthwhile difference).

Whether you buy a reputable brand or a bulk brand, it won't make a noticeable difference (the only people that will say otherwise will tend to have some sort of relationship with the supplement company).
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this topic. I have trouble meeting my protein percentage every day and I often suffer from "workout hangovers" the next morning after a good romp in the gym.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    ON 100% Whey GS, as others have already stated.

And it does make a diff, bulk brand vs better/priceier brands. The macro ratios are different, as is the protein quality/quantity per scoop/serving size.
  • haroon_awan
    Options

And it does make a diff, bulk brand vs better/priceier brands. The macro ratios are different, as is the protein quality/quantity per scoop/serving size.

Disagree. Popular brand in the UK, 100g:
    Cals 392
    Protein 74g
    Carbs 9g
    Fats 6.6g

Bulk brand in the UK
    Cals 427
    Protein 77g
    Carbs 13g
    Fats 8g

Virtually the same in macros. Just use the amount you need rather than rigidly following the serving or scoop they provide you. Quality is the virtually the same in terms of protein. In the same way that Kellogs corn flakes are the same as a store brand of corn flakes. The only difference is that Kellogs advertise their products with commercials and cartoon characters more than the store so they have to increase the price in order to see a better return.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Cals 392
    Protein 74g
    Carbs 9g
    Fats 6.6g

Bulk brand in the UK
    Cals 427
    Protein 77g
    Carbs 13g
    Fats 8g

Virtually the same in macros. Just use the amount you need rather than rigidly following the serving or scoop they provide you. Quality is the virtually the same in terms of protein. In the same way that Kellogs corn flakes are the same as a store brand of corn flakes. The only difference is that Kellogs advertise their products with commercials and cartoon characters more than the store so they have to increase the price in order to see a better return.

Ian explains it pretty well here, but some of the more inexpensive brands of protein may actually contain fewer grams of protein vs what is listed. They add a few amino acids to allow them to list X amount of protein when functionally, you aren't getting that amount of protein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTI-AtOJSow
  • haroon_awan
    Options
    ^^Interesting, thanks. Just checked three UK suppliers, two branded/more expensive companies use taurine , but no glycine, whereas the bulk/less expensive brand contains neither of these ingredients. So would that make the bulk company's product superior or are there other factors involved? (Both were whey concentrate products)
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey within 45 mins of my lifting sessions. Strawberry is my favorite, chocolate is ok & haven't tried the vanilla yet......
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options

Cals 392
    Protein 74g
    Carbs 9g
    Fats 6.6g

Bulk brand in the UK
    Cals 427
    Protein 77g
    Carbs 13g
    Fats 8g

SO, you are going to tell us that (bulk brand) whey protein +elite,

Serving size ; 42g
    cals; 170
    Fat; 1.5g
    Cholesterol; 50mg
    Carbs; 8
    Sugar; 2
    Protein; 30
    BCAA's; 5g

is just as good as, or better than this name brand whey ??

Serving size ; 39g
    Cals; 140
    Fat; 1
    Cholesterol; 0
    Carbs; 2
    Sugars; 0
    BCAA's; 8.8g
    Protein; 30

REALLY ????? This is in the US btw .... I don't know anything of the brands in the UK .....