Has anyone eliminated fruit in their diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have.

However, I have metabolic disorder that it's in my best interest to keep all starchy carbs to a minimum, not only sugar (which is a carb).

If you are not pre-diabetic, diabetic, have other metabolic issues, there really isn't any reason to cut out fruit, now watching your carb intake, that's a horse of a different color in my opinion.
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fruit for that reason but I still do. It is about knowing how much sugar is in the fruits. Melons are high and so are bananas/grapes in which case I would recommend berries and apples. They have the lowest levels and you can have more of them.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Sugar (naturally occurring or otherwise) does spike insulin levels and MAY cause the body to store fat. HOWEVER (before haters jump all over me) I would never cut out fruit from my diet, but I would watch my intake (if I am trying to lose weight). There are way too many health benefits which outweigh the sugar.
    Concern of fat storage only happens if there is an excess of calories.
    Interesting and true story for you: my friends husband ate roughly 4-6 cups of fruit daily when he was diagnosed with pre-diabetes (to quench a sugar addiction, he replaced refined sugars with naturally occurring ones). He believed that if it was naturally occurring, it could not be bad for him. Wrong. He is diabetic now. So, really, moderation is always the key I think. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
    Sugar whether from refined or natural sources is broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed in the body (glycogen). If your friends' husband has a history of diabetes in his family, it may have been unavoidable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Dead on. :drinker: except for the fat storage part.....
    My personal experience was that with high blood sugars, I craved more sugar. Makes sense since I had alot floating around my bloodstream but lacked the ability to move it to my cells where it was most needed....hence, I was hungry all the time, fatigued etc. carby things were mostly my downfall and I only found that out after I cut starchy carbs and all fruit except strawberries out.

Currently I eat to my meter....meter indicates a spike?...food item is cut by portion, then out if not able to facilitate a change.

Dietary sugar/carbs in general, do not *cause* diabetes per se, however, they exacerbate an already present problem with a strong genetic component.

The idea that someone brought on their diabetes, a chronic disease by eating themselves into it is ridiculous and shameful. That shame kept 3 of my close family members from disclosing their diabetes, thus when MY diagnosis reared it's ugly head, I was stupefied.

No one in my family has this though....then as my dx became known from auntie to uncle to cousin, at a mere 44 yrs old, one by one, they came out of the woodwork to reveal that of my grandmother's 5 children, 3 have it and 1 just died from it, the 5th has kept his silence.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried. To be blunt, it messed up my pooping schedule and I couldn't handle it. I usually do a V8 first thing in the mornings.
  • kimjj1025
    kimjj1025 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I took off the sugar macro for that reason - I'm not diabetic and I don't sit with packets of doughnuts or biscuits for lunch, I know most of my sugar is coming from fresh/dried fruit and milk so the macro is irrelevent.

If you eat a lot of processed foods however, you'd be surprised at the amount of "hidden" sugar (AND salt) in foods - check the back of a tin of baked beans, for example. Make your changes here before droping fruit!

I kept the sugar because I was eating a lot of processed foods and I've since reduced that and I wanted to be aware of the un-natural sugars I've taken in. I was surprised to see the number when the majority 90% off all my foods were whole fruits and vegtables. Maybe I will take it off once I've made the fruits and veggies a habit.
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nope, and if natural, unprocessed sugars put me over on my sugar numbers I do not stress about it.

THIS^^^

I totally agree with this and the do not eliminate fruit group. :-) It provides to much in the way of nutrition to dump it, just like fresh vegetables.