MFP estimated weight loss

Options
Hi All! I have been on MFP for almost 3 weeks now and have been really happy with the way things are going. I have a question that I wanted to ask those of you who have been tracking food/ exericse with MFP for awhile. When I complete my diary for the day a messagee appears that says, "if everyday was like to day you will weigh XXX pounds in five weeks". My question is, has this been a pretty accurate estimate of your projected weight loss? This little message is a great motivator and I am hopeful that is accurate! Thanks for reading.

Replies

• xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I find MFP projected weight loss to be accurate when I stay on plan.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    it is a rather simple calculation. Number of calories left over + the number it takes away based on your desired weight loss x number of days to equal 3500. So if you told it you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week (7000 calories) and left 1000 on the clock every day, it would calculate that you would lose 4 pounds a week x 5 weeks = 20 pounds. So it is not scientific, but as you say it is motivating.

edit: I should point out, my calories left over is never the same, but I have an average of 3 pounds a week loss.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a couple of months, and so far my projected weight loss has been pretty much within a pound of what I actually lose. It's nice to be able to confidently look ahead and know that if I don't go completely off the rails, those are the kind of results I'll be seeing.
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Its been accurate for me :)
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It *can* be, but keep in mind that is based on "if every day were like today." In my experience, every day is not even remotely the same. I've had days that I go over, days that I am way under, and everything in between. Generally, I find that if you have your goal set (x lbs per week), and you come close to your calorie goals, it is pretty close to what you get. Don't get too bound up in it, but using it as a motivation is a good plan. :)
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First welcome to the group. Yes the projected weight loss has been pretty accurate and it has helped keep me motivated.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For me it's not accurate at all. I'm 52 and have some thyroid and metabolism things going on and losing very slowly - but am losing. I don't pay attention to it. I don't think I'm the norm.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I find it to be REASONABLY accurate. I say that because the number it gives you is IF you do the very same things EVERY day, day in, day out - exercise, diet, water, the whole 9 yards. PERSONALLY, I know I don't/ can't do every day the same - i'd be bored to tears and quit. However, if I stick to keeping my sodium low and stay within the same numbers every day, I do get close to their prediction and it provides a good motivation boost :drinker:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    That would be a big yes!
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    IF you log everything accurately, and IF you are consistent, and IF you account for the normal hormonal fluctuations that can happen, it's going to be pretty close. Some weeks you may lose more or less but, on average, it should be pretty accurate.

*Note: I mentioned "IF" a lot for a reason. MFP just calculates based on the numbers you input. It doesn't know your menstruation cycle, nor does it know about the cocktail you had last night but forgot to log or what you ate on Saturday when you were out all day and didn't bother logging.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 575 consecutive days. I've been on maintenance since last October.

When I was losing, sometimes it was accurate but sometimes not. I once went for 10 weeks when every single day it said 'in 5 weeks you'd weigh.... and every day I ate under my goal target - and yet the scales didn't move.....and then suddenly they did. When I looked back at the stats over the year I did actually lose an AVERAGE per month what they said, but it wasn't always a straight line - it was steps and stairs and the odd plateau. So don't be discouraged if it doesn't come off consistently every week.

I would also suggest having over and under days in the week as a good way to go. I still do this - two days a week I purposely eat slightly over my calorie goal (about 300-400 calories) and the other 5 days I am slightly under - I just make sure that at the end of the week I have eaten less than I've burned over the week. That way your body doesn't always feel like it's constantly in deficit and it will be happier to let go the fat. It also keeps the calories 'cycled' up and down so your body is less likely to plateau as it keeps your metabolism on its toes. :)
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well, not for me. Only because it says, "If everyday were like today." And, I do not eat the same things everyday (macros). And I do not do the same exercises every day, usually. =) But, that's all. Everyday is never like today for me. unfortunately. =D
  • ZenAmok
    ZenAmok Posts: 4
    Options
    It had been up until this month! Strange, but my weight hasn't budged a bit even though I've been exercising and mostly coming in at or below my daily calorie goal. While it was working, it was like magic, but now that I'm a little stuck and I see the projection as so far off, its a little frustrating. Too bad it couldn't be turned off optionally!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Its been accurate for me as long as I continue to stay within my macros.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it to be accurate at all. I have my settings at 2lbs/week and have been losing a little over that. But when I finish tracking for the day it always projects way less of a loss. For instance, the night before last it told me I'd lose 3lbs in 5 weeks if every day was like that day. Shouldn't it be 10lbs if I'm eating the proper kcals every day?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I have been on MFP for almost 3 weeks now and have been really happy with the way things are going. I have a question that I wanted to ask those of you who have been tracking food/ exericse with MFP for awhile. When I complete my diary for the day a messagee appears that says, "if everyday was like to day you will weigh XXX pounds in five weeks". My question is, has this been a pretty accurate estimate of your projected weight loss? This little message is a great motivator and I am hopeful that is accurate! Thanks for reading.

No...it's a projection. Like any projection, it's going to give you sort of a ball park based on the science. It's not linear though...you don't lose exactly X Lbs per week and you don't weight exactly XXX Lbs in X weeks either. It's just a projection. I've been at this for about 9 months...
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it too accurate, but then again, I lose at a very slow rate. I can't decide if I like the estimated weight loss feature or not. I try to do a 5/2 fast week once and a while, especially if I've had an overage on the weekend and when I see the projected number on a fast day I get this overwhelming desire to fast everyday if I could see that number in 5 weeks. Luckily I still have an ounce of common sense that keeps me from depriving myself like that...but still tempting. :-)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It was pretty accurate for me until about 6 weeks ago, when I stalled. Now I swear at it and call it a liar at the end of the day! :laugh:
  • wolfspeaker9
    wolfspeaker9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It seems completly screwed for me 0_o

Today I finished like 10 calories under what it said I should be eating to lose 1lb a week

It said: You'd weigh 9 st 9 lbs in 5 weeks

WTH????
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that so many people have said that it is accurate. It has never been accurate for me. I eat at my set cal's or lower everyday. I always thought it was just there for show. :-)