My latest NSV

Options
anne2605
anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
I left my house this morning to do my usual trip to the shop. As I pushed my bicycle out of the garage, a neighbour of mine (who is German and I'm English, so we hardly communicate at all apart from the odd nod of the head), stopped me and gestured that I looked slim :happy:

I ended up talking to her (in pigeon Germlish) for 15 mins and found out she's an avid photographer and she invited me to her next exhibition. I've lived in Munich for 5 years and this is the 1st time I've really had the courage/confidence to speak with any of my neighbours at length. What a lovely start to my day.

Replies

• Port47
    Port47 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sometimes great things happen when we step outside our comfort zone !:wink::drinker:
  • strum261
    strum261 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It's hard to step outside our comfort zone, but what a great reward. Maybe this will open other doors.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    nice!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    having your first full on non-native-language conversation by your own choice is always exhilirating. I still have to take a deep breath after all is done. It's mentally exhausting but man, it feels like you're really part of the group. Well done you!
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the language thing. I can appreciate the angst that goes with attempting to communicate. It is mentally and almost physically draining.

My hubby always asks why we only stay in my relatives' town for 3 days while we're in Germany. It's because I end up doing all of the communicating, and that's all I can take! Good for you, though I have to say I'm jealous and would love to spend an extended amount of time in Munich!

Now on the recognition of your weight loss, I have to say Bravo! It is so nice when you feel like it's noticeable to other people. Not that you're doing it for other people, just that extra satisfaction and encouragement from knowing it's visible. People, whether they intend to or not, judge us daily by what they see. People would treat me differently if I wore a designer suit versus rags. When people recognize your weight loss, it tells you that they have actively readjusted that mental picture of you.

Enough rambling,
    Well Done!

BTW - What does NSV stand for???
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What a lovely NSV! Having lived in Vienna many years ago, I understand the language barrier! I always carried a dictionary with me at all times!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    phieaglefan, NSV is Non Scale Victory.

As for the conversation in German, well done you. I studied German in school right up to A-level but now couldn't hold a conversation if I tried. Keep up the conversation with your neighbour and you may find you get more confident with your German.
  • lbmade2crave
    lbmade2crave Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I always found that a couple beers improved my german fluency.
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing NSV, could you please tell me what that stands for?
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    How wonderful!

I just was reading about how we are happier and more well-rounded as people when we make new connections in life. Congratulations on yours!

You should definitely go to that exhibit!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    That sounds absolutely exciting! So neat you have a new friend. Great job on your loss!! :)
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Anne.
    Maybe she can teach u some German.
    Always a bonus when anyone notices u have lost weight.
    Xxx
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing NSV, could you please tell me what that stands for?
    none scale victory:smile:
  • kfheston78
    kfheston78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    FanTASTIC! Aren't those moments the BEST?! Gratz!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!