Less Energy & Grumpy Since Working Out?????

Options
So strange, and I'm hoping there are answers out there. It seems like I am so exhausted all of the time, grumpy, testy, just not my usual chipper self, and oddly enough It has started ever since I started working out, eating healthier, etc. about 3 months ago. I thought that working out, exercising, eating healthier would actually make people in better moods than usual, and give people more energy. I'm a 32 year old female. I am also not sleeping great (which is normal for me.)

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas on why this could be happening? My thoughts are a possible vitamin deficiency or something, but I do take a multi-vitamin and omega's. Maybe it's a total coincidence, but it's just weird that the timeline happens to coincide with when I started getting healthier.

I'm almost at my goal weight btw!

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you are not eating enough? Your diary is closed so I can't check it out. If you are not eating back your exercise calories, this could be the case.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I experience this when I don't eat enough, eat good and sleep enough.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Your Hungry, Please increase your cals. Drink Plenty of water, Get lots of protein
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    That use to happen to me too a few years back when I tried. I was anemic IDK if that has anything to do with it. Now my iron is great and I also don't feel that way. Hmmm, glad I'm not the only one tho!
  • camacola80
    camacola80 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick responses! That is a really good theory, I am so glad that I thought to ask you guys! I am new to posting to MyFitnessPal (this is my first created post.) I am not sure how to unlock my diary, but you are correct. Some days I do not eat as much as MyFitnessPal says that I can. It's not because I don't want to eat, it's because I'm just not hungry. Like yesterday, it said I had about 150 extra calories that I could have eaten, but I just wasn't hungry between dinner and bedtime so I didn't eat anything extra. Should I "force myself" to eat even if I'm not hungry?
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating carbs? I get super tired and grumpy if I don't get enough. Don't' need a ton..but if I don't eat any but veggies..I'm soo extremely tired.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I get like that when I'm either over-training (working out too much, and not having enough rest days) or if I'm not eating enough for how much I'm working out.
  • Cp731
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick response! That is a really good theory. I am new to posting to MyFitnessPal (this is my first created post.) I am not sure how to unlock my diary, but you are correct. Some days I do not eat as much as MyFitnessPal says that I can. It's not because I don't want to eat, it's because I'm just not hungry. Like yesterday, it said I had about 150 extra calories that I could have eaten, but I just wasn't hungry between dinner and bedtime so I didn't eat anything extra. Should I "force myself" to eat even if I'm not hungry?

Awe, try eating more calorie dense foods. A cup of Almond chocolate milk even
  • Angeldach
    Angeldach Posts: 56
    Options
    When your done working out, make a protein shake with fruit, protein powder, milk, and yogurt. I had that problem too, but that protein shake just makes my day for some reason. :smile:
  • camacola80
    Options
    Yes, my mother mentioned I should ask my doctor to test me for being anemic. I've never had trouble in the past with low iron, but it is possible since I am "dieting" now. Thanks for your response!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Are you low-carbing? It's a pretty common side effect.

Could also be overtraining - insomnia and that wired-but-exhausted feeling are signs of too much cardio. (For the calories you are eating. You can keep your activity the same and eat more or eat the same and work out less.)

The idea is to push your body to its limits, not beyond them. Keep that up and you'll start breaking things.
  • Cp731
    Options
    When your done working out, make a protein shake with fruit, protein powder, milk, and yogurt. I had that problem too, but that protein shake just makes my day for some reason. :smile:

I wouldn't add milk to your protein shake, it can affect the absorbtion
  • camacola80
    Options
    That is a great suggestion about drinking a glass of almond milk or soy milk or something for those extra calories! I usually drink some water right before bed, so I can just do this suggestion instead. Thanks! I can't believe I never thought to do that. Ugh.
  • camacola80
    Options
    Thanks. I do seem to get enough carbs in general, but I will go back and look in my diary to see what my carb stats are on the days I work out.
  • camacola80
    Options
    How come it's a No-No to add milk to protein shakes? I do not, because I'm lactose intolerant, but my husband does. It says on his protein box that it can be mixed with milk.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Another consideration is that you might be coming down with something or fighting off something. Generally exercise gives me a lot of energy, but if I walk out of a workout feeling worse than I did walking in, I've learned that a cold or flu or something is coming on.
  • camacola80
    Options
    Thanks. I usually feel great immediately after a workout. I just mean I feel grumpier/more tired in general, on a daily basis. Exercise does seem to give me a quick boost of energy, but overall I just feel crappy. I think the posters might be onto something about my calorie intake.
  • Cp731
    Options
    How come it's a No-No to add milk to protein shakes? I do not, because I'm lactose intolerant, but my husband does. It says on his protein box that it can be mixed with milk.

Yes it can be mixed, depending on the type of protein your using. What milk might possibly do is buffer the stomach acids - changing the absorption rate. Rate being the key word, not the amount absorbed. There is some bro-science about it. Disregard. :ohwell:
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Cranky, irritated, and headaches non stop. I think a big part is stress. Sticking to a plan is SSTRESSFUL! But still, I thought I would feel better too.....
  • runrogrun
    runrogrun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel the same at the moment, generally lethargic and lacking in energy.

I have ctually decreased my exercise - last year I was running 100 miles a month plus horse riding or swimming every day. Now I am running 60ish miles a month with the odd strength session but I just can't be bothered with swimming or riding (which makes me a bit sad).

I'm eating more than I was (I have put on about 7lb I would say) but just feel a bit lifeless, so was also wondering whether I could be anaemic (I was once tested as borderline a couple of years ago)
    I hate having no get up and go, it's driving me crazy!!