Blood Pressure

Options
Forgive me if this has already been posted - I couldn't find it if it was. Besides the typical "go to the doctor" response I just want to see if anyone else has had this issue. I recently started using MFP, cleaned up my eating habits and starting working out. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week and for the most part been proud of myself for being able to keep up with the 'skinny girls' during Zumba. Here is my issue - since I started working out my blood pressure has been considerably higher. I don't mean right after a workout. For example, yesterday while at work (sitting at a desk) I started feeling sick to my stomach, weak, pounding headache, twitchy eye. I took half an hour and went to the local grocery store to take my blood pressure. I took it 3 different times. My blood pressure is normally 118/78. The lowest reading I got yesterday was 148/99. Last year when I decided enough was enough I started exercising and changed my eating habits and I had the same thing happen so I just stopped all together. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• shelbymkoenig
    shelbymkoenig Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but it is ill-advised to take advice on this from anyone besides a medical doctor. You could have a vessel blockage or high triglycerides or some other blood thickening issue. It could also be an increase in the thickness of the vascular walls of the arteries. Honestly I would just go see a doctor because there are so many options and very few if any of them are likely to be completely harmless in the long run.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The ONLY answer is the one you don't want to hear. Go see a doctor.
    High blood pressure can be very dangerous.
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I understand and I will go to the doctor. I am simply just seeing if anyone else out there has had a similar situation as this. I'm not sitting here using google to self diagnose myself. I am not a doctor. I am simply reaching out to people here on myfitnesspal to see if anyone had something similar happen to them.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree ,go see your Doctor. I have high bp and mine usually goes down with exercise .Good luck
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree ,go see your Doctor. I have high bp and mine usually goes down with exercise .Good luck

Thank you. That is what has me perplexed. The fact that it is higher with exercise.