I hate lettuce

Options
Can I just mention, I bloody hate lettuce. Sodding miserable stuff.
And iceberg is the worst, tastes of absolutely nothing :(

...just saying

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Luckily lettuce is not a requirement for health or weight loss. Eat something else.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, I know what you mean. Have you tried other greens? Spinach, kale, spring mix, Romaine? Iceberg lettuce is a very watery lettuce and it is very low in nutrients. If you haven't tried any other the others I would highly recommend it. There are mustard greens too that add a little zing to your salad but I wouldn't recommend eating a whole bowl of the stuff, unless you like mustard. Kale is bitter and a lot of people are turned off by that but if you shred it up thinly in a salad or cook it the right way its great and its the most nutrient dense green out there.

My favorite cooked Kale recipe is simple. You just chop up about a half a bundle of Kale (after destemming it of course) and put in an a pan and pour about a half a can or a little more of lite coconut milk on it and a little salt and pepper on like medium heat until its all wilted (and that is the key you want it to be wilted enough that it isn't super crunchy but not too wilted like cooked spinach) and it is butter yumminess.

If you try it let me know what you thought.

Kale is great!
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    Luckily lettuce is not a requirement for health or weight loss. Eat something else.

This. Lettuce is useless so good job in not liking it. Now go try Kale, chard, and all the other real greens.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So don't eat it. :tongue:

I eat very few salads since my hubby can't really eat them any more (had his colon out a few years ago, so it's a digestion thing for him), so I just don't make them, and haven't had problems losing the fat & weight while eating other healthy foods.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm fond of lettuce, either, but a foundation of baby spring greens makes for a good salad. I like lots of stuff in there - every vegetable I can find plus leftover meat, beans, pasta, etc. Try that; it's good!
  • grandmama1945
    grandmama1945 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this as sarcasim but if you think it is tasteless then why not add all the other salad fixings and enjoy. As far as health benefits, I read that it's good to eat anyway because it adds water to your diet and that makes it good for you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lettuce. At all. Ever. I get my tacos from Taco Bell sans lettuce. I pull the lettuce off my hamburger bun. I never order iceberg wedge salads. Or any salad with iceberg in it.

I like spinach though. I always keep some of that handy and will eat a spinach salad a few times a week, usually. Arugala is nice too. I don't buy it regularly, but will eat it at a restaurant.

Lettuce isn't a requirement for dieting or weight loss. Find something else to eat or this is going to be a horrible, drawn out, soul crushing process for you. Life is too short to eat food you hate.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i can stand the stuff either so i dont bother with it. i could eat it as part of a cesear salad with lots of dressing though.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 20 years and I only eat lettuce under threat of force. I have better things to do with my time than chewing water.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My college nutrition class professor called iceberg lettuce crunchy water. Don't bother with it - eat some real greens.
  • derektingle
    Options
    I don't mean this as sarcasim but if you think it is tasteless then why not add all the other salad fixings and enjoy. As far as health benefits, I read that it's good to eat anyway because it adds water to your diet and that makes it good for you.

I see your point here but if she's anything like me, the sheer amount of not-lettuce type things I.E. dressing, croutons, cheese, bacon that it takes to render the lettuce palatable COMPLETELY negates the health benefits. Take it from someone else who HATES lettuce. If you don't like it, don't eat it. There are plenty of other healthy things out there (green things even) that are at least tolerable if not down right tasty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Me too...I don't touch the stuff. For the most part, it's nutritionally void so why bother. I do enjoy my actual greens though...spinach, mustard greens, kale, collard greens, turnip greens, etc. That's the good stuff.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ice berg lettuce sucks..

but i love me some romaine or red leaf lettuce. Adds a nice crunch to things. (which is what I like about it) plus it has good stuff for ya in it..

But if you dont' like it.. eat spinach or arugula or skip it. just eat other green food in it's place.

That's the great thing about living healthy versus dieting.. there are not real rules other then eat healthy foods.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Definitely just filler...but if I need "filler" I would much rather go for baby spinach, cucumbers, and other watery vegetables that have more taste. o: