why is it sooo much easier for guys?? ugh :p

Options
2»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    We women are supposed to be chunky monkeys so we can make babies in time of starvation. Another positive aspect to being female is with no access to food you are more likely to survive than a man. Which means he will sacrifice his muscular body to you so you and his offspring can eat...awe it's kind of romantic when you think about it.

PS never compare yourself to a male thats like comparing artillery tanks to bugattis
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah its a matter of proportion as well as muscle mass and the other things mentioned

but I don't think my weight loss has been easy.. ive worked my butt off in my humble opinion
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I feel so unmanly now.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Hormones.

Testosterone vs Estrogen

Test wins in muscle mass gain, libido and to an extent adipose loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

but loses when it comes to longevity and cardiac health
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I looked at my boyfriend today before he went to work, and he is noticably slimming down, losing his belly, and showing definition in his arms... He wasn't even "trying" to lose weight :p His dinner is what I put in front of him lol so that part I helped with :) But he eats a ton more than me throughout the day, his lunch yesterday? a whole pizza. Still drinks soda, not to mention downs powerade like theres no tomorrow... He just started working out a few weeks ago since we got our Y membership... and even thats because I kind of make him lol me I've been doing this for twice as long exercise and all and not seeing near the changes he has :sad:

I'm happy he's making progress so easily though because its motivating him more than what he was originally... I just don't get it, at risk of sounding whiney... It's not fair :frown:

Calorie intake for men and women is completely different...you can't do an apples to apples comparison. Generally, men are taller, heavier, and have more lean body mass than women...this all makes for needing more calories. That doesn't mean it's easier. I'm as hungry eating 2150 gross calories as my wife is eating 1700 gross calories after exercise...she maintains right around my 1 Lb per week loss rate of 2150...I maintain at around 2700...she'd be stuffed at 2700 calories. She is 5'2"...I am 5'10". I have a lot of muscle...she has some muscle and is improving in that department, but not nearly the ratio of LBM to BF% that I have.

It's far from easy though...I bust my *kitten* in the weight room and on the trails...and sometimes my deficit just leaves me hangry.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hormones.

Testosterone vs Estrogen

IDEA Fitness member

You are incorrect. More women suffer from heart disease than men.There are plenty of studies on this...here is one.
    http://www.bidmc.org/CentersandDepartments/Departments/Medicine/Divisions/CardiovascularMedicine/YourHeartHealth/TipsforHeartHealth/HeartDiseaseDifferencesBetweenMenandWomen.aspx

Longevity...goes with the territory...We're always waiting on the woman. Actual studies around focus on the point of manual labor choices of employment. Men take higher risk industries for employment, on average.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    So much for the "men not being emotional about weight loss" part....lol

I don't think it's fair to say its easy for all men. Some people just have faster metabolisms. I have a female friend that can eat whatever she wants and never gain weight. But she's not healthy. She's very out of shape. Skinny fat is the term used here.

I don't think it's healthy to view it as a challenge. Just do it for you!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Hormones.

Testosterone vs Estrogen

IDEA Fitness member

You are incorrect. More women suffer from heart disease than men.There are plenty of studies on this...here is one.
    http://www.bidmc.org/CentersandDepartments/Departments/Medicine/Divisions/CardiovascularMedicine/YourHeartHealth/TipsforHeartHealth/HeartDiseaseDifferencesBetweenMenandWomen.aspx

Longevity...goes with the territory...We're always waiting on the woman. Actual studies around focus on the point of manual labor choices of employment. Men take higher risk industries for employment, on average.

That just talks about the differences in heart disease. However, it is a good article addressing the gender discrepancies in cardiac disease. In perimenopausal women estrogen and progesterone are protective factors. Due to estrogens role into the sterification of HDL vs. LDL or at least one of the hypothesis.

As far as longevity goes taking out the very few men who are actually engaged in risky behaviors and labor in modern times. Remember not long ago before better advancements in medicine and child birth the life expectancy of women was actually lower. However, removing confounding variables we see female longevity in multiple species especially among mammals. Some speculate that ones again estrogen works as a protective factor in DNA oxidation and mutations, increased immune response, or possible the protective effect of the second X chromosome. Females in general are shown to be more robust at any age hence why sadly you see an increase in SIDS among male infants.

So yes, both sides of being born XY or XX show wins and losses.

PS always waiting on women really???
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    While men tend to lose weight more quickly than women, I don't think it's fair to minimize the work that men put into losing weight and building muscle mass. I have watched my dad struggle with his weight all of my life, and he has worked hard at getting healthy and losing weight with little success. On the flip side, my husband has always been athletic and of a normal weight, but he works hard for it.

It may be easier for some, but never not easy for all. But, the same can be said for women, too.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP is minimizing the work guys put in at all. And I tend to agree, it's easier for men to lose fat than women, due to more muscle mass, etc. Of course that's a general statement, and there will be exceptions, there always are.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    We're *kitten*.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize weight loss was a competition.

HAH! That means that those of us who did have a massive head start!

:happy:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Because YOUR body says "Holy ****! Dudette! You are down in calories. There's a famine, right? Ice age? ****! I don't know what, but obviously SOMETHING is wrong. I'm going to activate your storage pathways, turn your metabolism down, and save everything I can for you. After all, who knows? You might get pregnant, and have to grow a baby and then lactate for a year or four. You'll thank me later." Meanwhile THEIR bodies say "HOLY ****! Dude! You skipped a meal! Did you mean to skip a meal? And I noticed your soda intake is down 0.4 liters from last week. And was that a weight? Did you look at the weights again? WTF? Okay, okay, I got this. Let me activate your anabolic pathways. I'll just get you secreting some human growth hormone, pump out the testosterone, burn all this fat you've got laying around so you can be even more active, and let's put some muscle on, okay? After all, your wife might get pregnant and you would have to go out and stab a mammoth in the face or wrestle a velociraptor to the ground so you can feed your family. Don't worry, man. You can thank me later." That's why. Also, men suck. :)
  • michellemariescott
    michellemariescott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "you're an obese person stuck in a slender body"
    [/quote]

I love this comment - this is my husband and his entire family! They eat and drink whatever they want and yet always looks slim. My Mom and I consume half of what they do yet we have always struggled with our weight. This is very frustrating, but i have just decided to accept the fact that I have to eat less than alot of the people around me.
  • action_figure
    Options
    We're *kitten*.

Upvote for honesty! :D
  • action_figure
    Options
    Also, do not complain too often to your significant other about how it's not fair because they have more testosterone. They will do some half-assed google "research" and then offer to "share". :)
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also, do not complain too often to your significant other about how it's not fair because they have more testosterone. They will do some half-assed google "research" and then offer to "share". :)

:laugh: Lmao yes they will.
  • ryanosgood
    ryanosgood Posts: 28
    Options
    Please don't diminish the hard work that so many men, including myself, are putting into the huge challenge of loosing weight. I have become 100% committed to making myself healthier through nutrition and exercise. So far, it has been anything but easy. In fact in the last two weeks, despite the effort, I only lost 1.8 pounds.

Good for the men who can eat what they want and loose weight...but don't put us all in the same category.
  • astrofan89
    astrofan89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that much easier for guys. You figure we have so much undo pressure on ourselves. On one hand, women wanting a man with a Brad Pitt body and men wanting women with a Jolie body. It's hard enough trying to look like Sponge Bob Square Pants. I am 42 yo weighing 335.4 . I was your typical high school jock turn horror story. I have jumped in and out of motivation numerous times. I think the biggest thing is having an accountability partner that tells you the truth, no matter what. With real criticism, that's what works for me. You just have to have the desire to succeed at any cost (within healthy limits), just don't give up.