Two weeks in, about time to say Hello.

somethingvague
somethingvague Posts: 64
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Hey, I'm Stephanie. I'm 24(25 on October 1st, yikes!). I'm from Ottawa, Ontario (Canada). I've been fat for pretty much my whole life. I started gaining weight when I was about 10 and when I entered Grade 9, I was already over 200 pounds. Over the past ten years I have continued to gain weight, by 24 I was 290 pounds. I worked at McDonalds for about 6 years, most of them as a manager - which means unlimited, FREE McDonalds. As a broke college student(and then as a broke college drop-out, haha) I was eating McDonalds every single day at least twice a day(usually 3 or 4 times though) and never exercising.

I don't like to make excuses, I mean I definitley did this to myself - I ate every single pound onto my body. But, I think I definitley had an obsession with food, I ate every feeling I ever felt. Even the good ones. Food was a comfort, a celebration, it was the main point of the day.

For years I've been worried about my health (to top it off I've been a heavy smoker for 10 years..and still unfortunatley am) I'm worried about diabetes, heart disease...everything. I've made a few attempts at changing my lifestyle, but anytime one thing would go wrong I'd go back to my old ways in an instant.

A few weeks ago I weighed myself at 290 pounds, the heaviest I've ever been. I told myself then I was done, I couldn't live this way for another second of another day. I was constantly exhausted, always feeling sick, had chronic heartburn and was basically just feeling miserable about myself.

In just two weeks of exercising and eating right, I've lost 11 pounds and went down a pant size. I already feel so much better, I have more energy, have not had heartburn for 2 weeks! (for anyone who has chronic heartburn, you realize how exciting this is! haha) and am just more excited to start each day and continue this journey.

I'm still learning and trying out new things (there's so much information!) but I feel really good about it this time. I am very determined, and trying to be realistic - It took me 14 years to get this big and it will take a while to get it off.

At the same time, I am very prone to letting myself get into huge guilt trips. This is something I'm working on. I can't hold myself to a standard of being perfect, I am going to have bad days and I need to accept that and just keep moving.

My goal is to lose around 130 pounds, maybe more or less depending on how I look/feel when I get there.

Anyways, this is super long. Feel free to add me as a friend. (I only have one, haha). I definitley need support from people who understand.

<3Steph

Replies

• Good for you! I'm so happy that you have made such a good start. Find some help with your thinking patterns, too, and your life will be transformed.
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    I LOVE Mcdonalds. In fact, I still eat it maybe once a week or every other week. But, now I only get a hamburger and small fries and it fills me up and satisfies me. Don't know how I used to eat Big Mac meals large sized. Although, I really want a Big Mac sometimes, I know that losing weight feels so much better. Welcome here! I have had great success and hope to have much more! Add me as a friend if you like!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Welcome!! Congrats on 11 lbs. lost - looks like you're off to a great start! The biggest pieces of advice I'd give to anyone just starting out are:

1) Drink PLENTY of water!
    2) Avoid processed foods as much as possible
    3) Eat a balanced diet primarily consisting of lean meats/protein, eggs, lots of veggies, fruit, beans, whole grains, low-fat dairy and nuts/seeds
    4) Don't be afraid to have a treat occasionally - if you feel deprived you won't last!
    5) Make yourself (and your health) a priority in your life - there's always a million other things to take up your time if you don't

Good luck!
  • You can do it! You're already losing on the program so keep building on that success. Way to take control and good luck!
  • Good luck to you. You can do it....one step at a time. There is a life and a good one beyond McDonalds. You sound determined and I would bet that you make it. There is a lot of good information and tips on this site. I'm hearing the best way to proceed is to set mini goals. I know that is what I'm going to do and you should try that too.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Hi Stephanie

Welcome to MFP and congrats on losing your first 11lbs. This is a great website for motivatiion and helping you learn about food and the different nutritional values. Although I'd lost most of my weight before joining MFP, I never had a full grasp of calorie control until I started using the calorie tracker.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other!

Best wishes and good luck!

Lissa
  • GREAT Job. I know its hard to do good for a while and not see instant results like what they put on TV. who wants to be a size 0 and invisible. healthy is way better! Your doing awesome! keep it up! and keep your attitude its definalty whats going to keep you motivated and on your goal! Congrats!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    I'm always looking for new friends, I love to see people succeed!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    :bigsmile: Congratulations on your 11#'s!! And congratulations on your decision to take control of your life!!! I wished I could have been more equipped with something like MFP to help me over the years ... this site is GREAT!! :heart:

Enjoy your journey to a new life ... a new you!!!

Betty
  • CONGRATULATIONS, Stephanie!!! You are destined for true greatness! Just understanding where you have come to ensure that you know what path you need to take to get where you want to go is great. You are not defeating yourself because you are admitting to yourself all that you need to. Exceptional!! Be blessed in the fact that everyone here is full of motivation, inspiration, encouragement, and support. Stay focused, stay motivated, stay energized, stay hydrated, and stay YOU!!
  • Welcome!! Congrats on 11 lbs. lost - looks like you're off to a great start! The biggest pieces of advice I'd give to anyone just starting out are:

1) Drink PLENTY of water!
    2) Avoid processed foods as much as possible
    3) Eat a balanced diet primarily consisting of lean meats/protein, eggs, lots of veggies, fruit, beans, whole grains, low-fat dairy and nuts/seeds
    4) Don't be afraid to have a treat occasionally - if you feel deprived you won't last!
    5) Make yourself (and your health) a priority in your life - there's always a million other things to take up your time if you don't

Good luck!

Such great advice!!!
  • Congrats on the 11 lbs! That's awesome! I'm glad you are already seeing changes!
  • Thanks so much everyone! And to everyone who added me as a friend! :)

We can all do this, and I'm here for anyone if anyone ever needs to talk/vent to someone!

<3
  • NYJetsFan
    NYJetsFan Posts: 108
    I agree with accountant_boi. That's some great advice!

Great job on your eleven pound loss. When you get down, keep looking at the 11 pounds and the pants that are now to big on you. That always seems to bring me back up again. And remember, you didn't gain it all at once so it's not possible to lose it all at once. This takes time. Time and patience.

Set mini goals for yourself, too. It's a great way to reward yourself and keep your head in the game.
This discussion has been closed.