Frustrating Weight Loss!

Options
I just started using fitness pal AGAIN within the last week. I am a very athletic person, I work out at least 5 days a week, I just started eating really clean as well. I have lowered my calorie intake and working incredibly hard to shed these last 8lbs that I want. What is seriously frustrating is that I just seem to be gaining weight. I realize that muscle weighs more than fat, but I don't get that one week I can lose 3lbs and the next week gain everything back doing the same routine or even working harder on my exercise....any advice? It's just really frustrating and discouraging!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Please post your current height, weight, and age.

Also please tell us how many calories you are eating daily.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Weight loss IS NOT LINEAR. It is not the snap-shot point in time that you stepped on the scale to weigh yourself, but the long term (more than a week, more than a month) trend that counts.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well you wouldn't gain muscle that fast for sure, and not when eating a deficit. Weight fluctuates. Just keep at it.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue..I've been stuck in the same 4lb range since February. I have another 10-20lbs to go, but it feels like no matter what I do nothing's working. I've tried reducing calories, upping calories, increasing exercise intensity, etc.. I refuse to give up, but this is just so damn frustrating. :(
  • triciabell13
    triciabell13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 years old, 5'6 and I weigh 148-150. My ideal weight is 140-142. I've been that weight before, I am just having a hard time getting back there. I run, turbofire, and do yoga sculpt. I'm a very active person. I know I am not overweight by any means, I'd just like to slim down.
  • triciabell13
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue..I've been stuck in the same 4lb range since February. I have another 10-20lbs to go, but it feels like no matter what I do nothing's working. I've tried reducing calories, upping calories, increasing exercise intensity, etc.. I refuse to give up, but this is just so damn frustrating. :(

it's so frustrating! I know I just have to keep at it, I just am getting so upset. Some days I just want to scream! It helps to know that I'm not the only one having these feelings!
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,428 calories/day - what you burn if you were in a coma

You TDEE on Sedentary is 1776 calories/day to maintain your current weight with zero exercise.

Since you are so active, you could eat at your Sedentary TDEE (1776) and let the exercise you do create your deficit.

OR

Eat at your BMR (1428) plus eat whatever you burn during exercise.

What are you eating at right now?
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey lady! NO advice - but I am in your exact same situation. Down to the weight and everything (I'm about 150 and 5.5). Hoping to get some good tips. :smile:

Do you track your sodium? I know that can make a difference in day to day weigh ins.
  • triciabell13
    Options
    I am eating around 1400 calories a day. I really don't want to overeat if I'm not hungry. I don't really intake a lot of sodium. I've been eating a lot of chicken, asparagus, avocados, blueberries, bananas, peanut butter on toast, I eat eggs...I mean, seriously I have been trying really hard to shed these lbs. Nothing seems to be helping!! I drink 64oz of water at work alone and then more when I work and am at home.

The only thing I can think of is starting to workout two times a day.
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Are you eating 1400 calories plus what you burn during exercise?

If not, you may be creating too large of a caloric deficit, which sounds like that would make you lose weight faster, but is actually counter productive.

You might just have to give it longer than a week... 1lb a week is pretty normal, once you get close to your goal weight, it can get as slow as half a pound a week.
  • triciabell13
    Options
    I'm eating less than 1400 calories a day including my workout. I get what you're saying about a counter effect on my body, but I honestly don't want to eat if i'm not hungry. Normally you want to burn more calories than you eat.

I just have to keep working hard and figure out what's best for me.
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Just so you know, if you're eating less than 1776 calories and not exercising, you're already creating a deficit to lose weight.

You don't have to also exercise to create an even larger deficit to see the scale move.

I would highly recommend eating 1400 + what you burn from now on to maintain a safe deficit and reduce the amount of lean muscle you'll lose.

If you're having trouble eating enough, I would recommend adding some healthy fats that won't really make you feel much fuller, like a handful of nuts, an avocado, an extra yogurt as a snack. You can also try adding an extra 1/2 cup of rice or noodles to a meal you make, that is another 100 calories right there.
  • triciabell13
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely look into everything everyone has said.
  • tiabelle77
    Options
    Hmm. I have been doing MyFitnessPal a few months now. I'm really petite (5' and started out 113 lbs.) so I was eating very few calories (1000) in the beginning, plus working out. Not fun. Didn't lose much. After a week, I increased my calories to 1200 plus ate the deficit from exercise, so probably added another 200-300 per day. Guess what? I lost the weight faster, while having more energy and feeling a lot better, not as hungry. To sum up, what has worked best for me is to eat slightly more calories per day even eating more for calories burned in exercise, but always a bit less. For example. Goal calories is 1200. I swim and burn 350 calories. At the end of the day I ate 1400, and that seems to be the trick! Good luck!!! I'm almost to my goal weight and didn't lose any last week. I think the last couple of pounds are just stubborn!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same. A pound is a pound. Muscle takes up less volume than fat.; You seldom build muscle when you are in a calorie deficit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale and log everything?

With only 8 lbs to go you should have MFP set to lose .5 lbs/week and you should be eating back most of your exercise calories.
  • klee11
    klee11 Posts: 3
    Options
    How did you work out the BMR and TDEE? Can you please help me work out what mine would be
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How did you work out the BMR and TDEE? Can you please help me work out what mine would be

Height/weight/age?

How much exercise do you do? What kind of job do you have?