CONFUSED

Options
I just read another post and i'm kind of confused...

My calorie limit is 1270. I usually eat right underneath that. Let's say....1150? But I work out, so then I end up with like 400 calories left....Is that what i'm supposed to be doing? Because honestly, I have gotten so full lately off of the healthy foods, that I can't even imagine eating anything more.

HELP!?!

Replies

• kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to eat any more. I never eat back exercise calories. You need a deficit to lose weight. You're good girl.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to eat any more. I never eat back exercise calories. You need a deficit to lose weight. You're good girl.

^ This person has no clue what they're talking about and their advice should be disregarded.

MFP already gives you a deficit when it gives you your calorie goal. This means that even without exercise, you're in a deficit and will therefore lose weight.

When you exercise, you further increase that deficit, to a potentially unhealthy and dangerous level. You need to fuel your body and get adequate nutrition.

If you want to do this correctly, you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories. Estimatations can be a little off on calorie burns so adjust as need (ex: eat back 3/4 of them or 1/2 of them).
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

^ This person has no clue what they're talking about and their advice should be disregarded.

MFP already gives you a deficit when it gives you your calorie goal. This means that even without exercise, you're in a deficit and will therefore lose weight.

When you exercise, you further increase that deficit, to a potentially unhealthy and dangerous level. You need to fuel your body and get adequate nutrition.

If you want to do this correctly, you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories. Estimatations can be a little off on calorie burns so adjust as need (ex: eat back 3/4 of them or 1/2 of them).
    Quoted because this person knows what she's talking about.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

wrong.gif
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Quoted again, because this person knows what she's talking about!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^QFT

And MFP tells you to eat your exercise cals back. No really, it does. Go to your goal page. It's in red.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

bears repeating
  • latinpr
    latinpr Posts: 33 Member
    Options

This. If you set the goal to lose one pound a week, MFP will automatically deduct 500 calories a day from what your height/weight/age dedicates you need to eat to maintain. This means MFP, without any exercise at all, and just going about your daily life routines, is setting you up to lose weight. Any exercise is considered extra and only adds to your deficit. Because of this you MUST log exercises into it. As a reward for the exercise, you now get to eat more and try to get your net calories to be close to the goal calories.

If you set your goal to maintain weight, MFP gives you the calories you should eat just goign through life without doing one exercise at all. If you eat to this instead then you are NOT eating a deficit. You still have to log your exercises but in this case if you set the goal to maintain weight but are really trying to lose it, DON'T eat the calories back after exercise b/c you have no deficit otherwise.

I find it much easier to tell MFP what my goals were, eat to that number with the built in deficit on my off days and on my workout days eat a little more to gain some of the calories I burned exercising.

BTW one other thing that is confusing. The term TDEE and BMR. There's also alot of confusion on the boards as well.

BMR is your caloric needs as if you were bed ridden or unconsciously alive 24/7 (think being in a hospital bed ridden for weeks with no way to get out of bed and walk around).

TDEE is what your body burns going through life without exercise but does include, at the very minimum, getting up to go shopping, to get into a car to drive to work, walk around to the bathroom, and just functioning in society

MFP does not calculate BMR as it assumes you can at least get out of bed to go to a desk job. Thus MFP always calculates TDEE, even if the activity level is bare minimum just above bed ridden.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I would quote what's already been said about eating back your calories because that's the way MFP is designed and why you have a GOAL number, but it's already been quoted a lot because it's correct information.

Having said that:

If you want to do this correctly, you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories. Estimations can be a little off on calorie burns so adjust as need (ex: eat back 3/4 of them or 1/2 of them).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

QFT!

Though I don't think you always need to force yourself to eat them all (and Adini did say 3/4 or 1/2 of them)...but you don't want to be netting only 400 cals a day.

If you feel full and really don't want to eat, that's fine.... but if you were to net 400 cals every day, eventually you aren't going to be able to pull of those radical work outs because your body will just be starving for fuel.

You need to fuel your work outs.

It's all about balance.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OMG...thanks for the info Joy_Joy. :flowerforyou: I had no idea that's what the stuff in red was telling me on my goal page!!
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just read another post and i'm kind of confused...

My calorie limit is 1270. I usually eat right underneath that. Let's say....1150? But I work out, so then I end up with like 400 calories left....Is that what i'm supposed to be doing? Because honestly, I have gotten so full lately off of the healthy foods, that I can't even imagine eating anything more.

HELP!?!

You know, MFP is a wonderful tool....but..sometimes it can create more problems that its worth. If you dont want to eat more, dont eat more. Changes are your body will ask/need more calories when needed.
    The "dangerous zone" is BS..if you ask me..YOu will not die...and you will not starve..and you will not lose all my muscles because you ate 1000 calories for a month. Use MFP as a guide and enjoy the ride. Life is too short to worry about 200+- calories...
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    AS long as you are under your total calorie intake (suggested) and it is a higher protein lower sodium intake EATING PLAN (diet has a negative connotation) and you exercise. you will lose weight. Nothing too drastic but 1 lb a week (sometimes 2 or 3) is a healthier way to lose it. AND you skin wont get all loose from the drastic weight loss. Because you are exercising, it draws up tighter and tones, albeit slowly, but better than not at all.

hope it helps.
  • dgaddy34
    dgaddy34 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I believe you are suppose to eat ALL of the 1270 calories or close very close to it staying in the 1200's, and then work out. I was doing the same thing you were doing before. My limit is 1200 and I wasn't eating ALL of the calories and then I worked out burning 500-700 calories which left me with a deficient amount. I noticed I wasn't losing anymore weight. However; once I ate ALMOST all of the 1200 calories and then worked out, I started losing again. Trying eating all of the calories and then work out and see what happens. Hope that helps! :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So how long do you think you can last on this very low calorie diet of yours? How long do you think it will be before your body rebels from being starved of nutrients it needs to function? You net should be 1270 (at least - because that is pretty low itself).
  • michellechawner
    Options

QFT!

Though I don't think you always need to force yourself to eat them all (and Adini did say 3/4 or 1/2 of them)...but you don't want to be netting only 400 cals a day.

If you feel full and really don't want to eat, that's fine.... but if you were to net 400 cals every day, eventually you aren't going to be able to pull of those radical work outs because your body will just be starving for fuel.

You need to fuel your work outs.

It's all about balance.

Same... agree with all these people! Fuel your body. MFP already calculates you at a loss, but you need to eat back those exercise cals, if you are using MFP method. I have a custom goal because I'm using TDEE method.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    So how long do you think you can last on this very low calorie diet of yours? How long do you think it will be before your body rebels from being starved of nutrients it needs to function? You net should be 1270 (at least - because that is pretty low itself).

Her body is not starving!!
    There will be times when her body will ask for more, even if she ate the whole 1270 ( watch it, better not be 1250 or she's gonna starve)...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OMG...thanks for the info Joy_Joy. :flowerforyou: I had no idea that's what the stuff in red was telling me on my goal page!!

Your welcome
  • stacetherainbow
    Options

This..
    I'll add that you can easily add extra calories to your day without feeling as though you have to eat "extra" food or feel like you're forcing yourself. If you're eating diet this or reduced fat that, try adding in the full fat or calorie version of the same food. Add a little at a time until you're in the correct NET calorie range. If you're not eating "diet" foods, but only whole foods already, try adding natural nut butters, bananas, avocados and/ olive oil to the foods you're already eating.
    MFP has this set up to help you achieve your goals healthfully and it works for most people. You don't have to force food in, but you should be fueling your body properly.
    Good luck!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I "play the game" a little differently (but I think my approach still meets the basic parameters of either MFP or TDEE-). I originally set my goal to 1 pound a week, lost about 10 and then felt like I was stalling. To eat more, I changed my goal to 1/2 pound per week and was given a "budget" of 1500 calories a day. It's taken me a while to learn to eat right about that amount (though always ate at least 1200, and 90% "clean"). I don't eat exercise calories back unless I do something extra strenuous. Most of my exercise is life - walking and riding my horse, so I doubt I really get an extra 300/day in exercise, thus keeping my balance at somewhere between an implied goal of 1/2 to 1 pound a week - which is what is happening. I've only ever "dieted" once before - did Jenny Craig for a while and probably did enough cheating that I didn't screw up my metabolism. I'm almost 61 and losing, albeit slowly, has been pretty easy so far.