Playing drums + HRM - Log or not?

Options
majica8
majica8 Posts: 210 Member
Hey,
I've just purchased a Polar FT7 (arrived yesterday) so I've been trying it with a few exercises/workouts etc. Walking yesterday, cycling today. It's great :happy:
For curiosity I wore it while playing drums just now, it says in 35 mins burned about 160 calories, with an average HR of around 105 bpm (my resting HR is around 80) and a max of 125 bpm.
Now these were only Rock Band drums, but they obviously get my HR up and it's a good workout for my arms.
Question is, do you think I can log these calories on here? I'm not talking about making playing drums my only form of exercise, I'm planning to continue cycling daily, I just don't know if these should "count" because it doesn't seem like a proper or standard workout and it's limited to pretty much just my arms/wrists, possibly my legs slightly. I don't know how much benefit it is as far as losing weight goes.

So log or not?

Cheers :smile:

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    hrm only work for actual cardio.

did you setup vo2max in your hrm? you will need to with stats like yours or any value given will be very inflated..
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    hrm only work for actual cardio.
    Surely the fact that it raises my HR means it's cardio......
    did you setup vo2max in your hrm? you will need to with stats like yours or any value given will be very inflated..
    AFAIK the FT7 estimates your vo2max. I have no idea what it actually is, or what the FT7 thinks it is.

Like I said I'm not planning to replace any of my current exercise with drumming, I'm just wondering if I should log an extra 100 or so cals if/when I play.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Drummer:

larrywet2-1.jpg

Fittest member of U2?

Probably.

Edit: fixed link
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You want to log a game of Rock Band as exercise? Um, no.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You raised your heart rate, so technically it counts. I know playing drums, especially heavy metal drumming with machine gun double bass can be one hell of a workout \m/

On that note, I probably wouldn't log them, just so I didn't eat too much. But this is really up to you.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    playing drums is a hardcore workout lol!! I wouldn't count it tho.. just enjoy the results.
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I log when I have to wrestle my toddler into her clothes three frickin times a day. I work up a sweat and my heart rate increases dramatically. If you burned it, you earned it. If there is <any> doubt about the quality of the calorie tabulation, I wouldn't "eat it back".. just like I don't eat back the calories I log from more low impact activities. (Bowling, light cleaning, food prep, toddler wrestling, etc.) I only "eat back" my calories after intense cardio workouts, walks/runs 2 miles or more and when I clean vigorously (I clean houses for a $$ PT). Hope that helps!!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For this sort of questionable "exercise", I log them at half their value. It's been working for me.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would log it, but as strength training (not to track calories burned, just to track muscle and strength training)
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Bit of a stretch, don't ya think?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you're really desperate to eat more you could log anything and everything that raises your heart rate - like driving in rush hour traffic!

But if you're that hungry, you should probably just raise your activity level settings/lower your lbs/week goal so you can save yourself the trouble.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi...I am a long time working guitarist and am totally gassed and sweat drenched after a gig. For me, that is a normal part of my day so I don't log it. Have worn my HRM and in a 60 minute show, I can burn up to 400 cals. And this is for me, you have your own path, it is no different than my wife teaching Kindergartners all day...it's just what she does. We do workout a lot together and that's what we or I count: specific workouts.

I play one of these and got it when it was new...love it...many miles, many shows. Enjoy your music...it's a wonderful gift!

Black-Mike-Cunningham_Replica-Vintage-strat-front.jpg
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you think it counts count it. Plenty of people log more active video games as a work out.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask I would say probably not.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My fiancé is in a band. Yes it counts =p (real drums)
    Not too sure about Rock Bank though...
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i record things like this... especially if my hr is 'in the zone'
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't think there is right or wrong answer. I'd say you'll have to use your best judgement. I do think, overall, logging exercise can potentially slow or halt weight loss, if that is your goal because it's all such an estimation game...unless you are weighing each morsel of food and counting calories to the finite digit (which some may say and think they are to them I bow to thee, but even still it's never 100% accurate) and then when measuring your calorie burn with or without setting a heart rate monitor up to meet your personal stats...it's all going to be fuzzy numbers. Ballpark. So, to play it safe, personally I just log the workouts that truly fall into the "workout" category. ANY EXTRA MOVING you do is going to be icing on the cake. So, keep doing the rock band thing, it's burning way more calories than watching someone else do it. The people on here who mock such activities and related question displease me.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    I had a short stint of wanting to learn to play drums a couple months back. And for leisure, I fiddle with the guitar (have been learning to play for over 3 years), so this definitely peaked my interest!!!

Dang, why can't people be on board with this? LOL. But seriously, if it's only Rock Band, I probably wouldn't, but if you legit on a real kit or whatever, whatever floats your boat, dude.

Some people count the most interesting things (not just talkin' cleaning, hahaha).

Either way, rudiments and drumming in general is a mental work-out for me, so it'd be nice to think you could burn calories, hahahaha.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'd log it...keep those beats coming. :smile:

8488541.png
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I play the hammered dulcimer. Twice a month I have a gig where I play two 30 minute sets and I am sweating when I am finished.

I found that MFP has a cardio database entry for "Music playing, drums".

I log 60 minutes and get 315 calories for my efforts and eat back every one of those suckers.