Trouble with the Post-Baby Tummy

Options
I have stretch marks from my kids, even though I didn't gain that much weight with my pregnancies. I'm at a good weight now, but now - a year after having my third baby, my tummy is still chubby and has a really spongy texture to it. Anyone else been able to get rid of it, or having the same problem. I want to get rid of the extra fat, but I'm afraid I'll just have this huge skin flap when I'm done...

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It's extra skin. The only way to really get rid of it is through a tummy tuck. I tan to help reduce the appearance of the stretch marks, which don't go away either. Confidence can make anything look better, so remember to wear your confidence!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've read great things about the Tupler Technique. I'm going to order the Loose your Mummy Tummy DVD on Friday. It might be something you're looking for too.

Edit: This is to strengthen your Core muscle not tighten loose skin.
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    Dont really agree with the tummy tuck...I do any excercise which has really helped my middle. They call them leg lifts I think? You lay on your back on the floor with your hands under your head and lift both your feet up in the air, hold them there. Then slowly let them down, but dont let them touch the floor. Hold them just above the floor for a few seconds and repeat. Do it everyday and I bet you will see a difference. Let me know if they help!!! Good luck.
  • DianaPre
    Options
    I'm 5 months post pregnancy. I gained 70 pounds during pregnancy because it was pretty much the first time I just allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted without consequence. I loved that short freedom, however, I'm in the military so as soon as my daughter was born I had a huge task ahead of me. I dropped all the weight I had gained in 3 months. I noticed though of course that my body has retained fat stores in certain areas like my tummy. I had pretty bad stretch marks on my stomach with that spongy feeling to it too. It is pretty close to being nonexistent now at my 5 month mark because I do vigorous ab workouts every other day. I'm also going to schedule a detox wrap at a spa to tighten the skin again in that area. Detox wraps are phenomenal and you can even do them at home. The clay can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply and then just do the wrap with saran wrap. It pulls toxins from your skin and overall brings elasticity back to that area. Also a good calcium supplement and some tummy time in the sun have made my stretch marks seem to disappear over night because of the vitamin D. A vitamin E supplement is also good just be careful with the dosage. I hope this advice helps. The best thing I would say for you to do is just get a good ab workout going that only takes about 15 mins. or so a day and I guarantee you won't have "the flap" just cut muscle :)
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have had a c-section pooch for almost 9 years now. It is finally almost gone, but it has taken work! I am almost done with my second round of P90X, which has a lot of core strengthening moves. In addition, it just burns a great amount of calories and so lowers your body fat that way. My belly fat seems to be the last to go, but it is going. I have lost 4 inches in my waist these past 10 weeks and 15 lbs. I have seen many women who started at a "good weight" and have toned up dramatically. Oh - and I have the stretch marks too. I just wear them as a badge of mommyhood.

Lisa
  • DianaPre
    Options
    It's extra skin. The only way to really get rid of it is through a tummy tuck. I tan to help reduce the appearance of the stretch marks, which don't go away either. Confidence can make anything look better, so remember to wear your confidence!

do not listen to this, obviously very bad advice. tummy tucks are so stupid... a healthy daily ab workout has way better results and is free.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    I've read great things about the Tupler Technique. I'm going to order the Loose your Mummy Tummy DVD on Friday. It might be something you're looking for too.

Edit: This is to strengthen your Core muscle not tighten loose skin.

THIS! Most post partum women will work and work for years in vein to try to get rid of the tummy, but they use the wrong approach for what the real issue is.... definately look into the Tupler Technique, its developed by a nurse specifically for healing a diastisis which is a seperation of the abdominal muscles during pregnancy and birth, for a lot of women it is the reason for the pooch.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    dianaryniewicz: I'm very interested in what that clay is called at sally's?? Thanks for the advice!
  • Squash97
    Squash97 Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks girls! The stretch marks don't bother me. I got them five years ago with my first baby and they really bothered me at first, but their appearance has really faded and I'm certainly not showing my tummy to anyone. My concern about the stretch marks is that it is scar tissue of the skin, and therefore, I'm not sure if the skin can ever be tightened. I'll just keep on working and see if the skin will tighten. Thanks!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    My youngest is 3 and I still have a mummy tummy, when I do exercise it definately improves but the stretchmarks are always there, I have a cream I use on my tum which does seem to help but I think it has more to do with the daily rubbing it gets dispersing -sp- the fat when rubbing the cream in, rather than the actual cream itself!

Recently I have been doing the 30 day shred as well as 20 minutes of pilates and since starting I have lost 4'' from my stomach and hips i'm going to keep up with it and hopefully pretty soon my mummy tummy will be all but gone but at the end of the day nobody apart from my husband really sees my tum and he loves me stretch marks and all since they are the result of carrying his children but whenever I do need a little boost or do have to get the old bikini on infront of people other than him I have a cheeky spray tan, its amazing how much more confident / slim you feel with a bit of a tan, it also makes those pesky stretch marks hardly noticeable :wink:
  • DianaPre
    Options
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Sodium-Bentonite-Clay-Baths-For-Detoxification&id=3940184

the clay can be used in a bath for an overall detox or only applied to specific areas for a more drastic specified result. many military members (especially women with some extra weight on the waist tummy area from pregnancy or what have you) will use the clay in that area to drop an inch or so before we have to be measured.

*just make sure you follow every instruction, when using detox clay it is important to stay well hydrated so your body can release as many toxins as possible. i would even drink a combo of 50/50 water and gatorade the day of the detox and a few days after to keep your electrolytes at an optimum level. then as always a healthy diet with exercise will keep the level of toxins in your skin low so you don't retain them again.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I will need to try this out! Thanks for the advice!!!