Avocado Question....

Options
mia4502
mia4502 Posts: 6 Member
Would you all say one small to medium Haas Avocado is 1/4th of a cup of 1/8th of a cup. I have been entering it as 1/8th of a cup, but I think that is wrong. I think it is 1/4th of a cup. Thoughts?

-Mia

Replies

• xmeganxtarax
    Options
    It's hard to say for sure, I would say its closer to 1/4 cup. However, I recommend getting a food scale. I just got one for $25 at Walmart and they are amazing. You know your exact amount of food in grams, it's quite lovely. Take care.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    1/4 of 1/8? That would be like 1/32 right? I usually go by the whole avacado and put in the percentage of what I ate. For example if I ate 1/4 of it I would enter .25 of one whole avacado.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    1/4 of 1/8? That would be like 1/32 right? I usually go by the whole avacado and put in the percentage of what I ate. For example if I ate 1/4 of it I would enter .25 of one whole avacado.

I think OP means "is half an avocado closer to 1/4 of the avocado or 1/8 of the avocado."

:)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

I think OP means "is half an avocado closer to 1/4 of the avocado or 1/8 of the avocado."

I know just trying to be a little smart, didn't work!! :happy:
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    However, I recommend getting a food scale. I just got one for $25 at Walmart and they are amazing. You know your exact amount of food in grams, it's quite lovely. Take care.

^^ this. I weigh my avocados for a more accurate measure. "medium" is really in the eye of the beholder but one gram is the same as the other ;)
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options

I know just trying to be a little smart, didn't work!! :happy:

ohhhhh haha ok! :)
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The best way to do it is to get a food scale and weigh it. I usually get Haas Avocados too and when I scan it, I get the servings in cups. So, I end up just typing "Haas Avocado" and go for the one with a weight i.e. 2/3 cup, cubes (100g). It is more accurate that way :)
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    MMM I love me some Avacado....just don't eat em a lot because of all the calories
  • 2BVeggie
    2BVeggie Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I do the exact same thing as this poster--I enter .25 or even 1.5 of a serving if that's the case with what I'm having.

There's a drop-down box on amounts. If I cannot measure, I just use the whole item as a measure and enter my portion of it--.50 of a medium apple = half the apple.

Takes the measurement guesswork out of it!

Keep logging!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    I eat a half an avocado a day. Sometimes that weighs out to 65g, sometimes that weighs out to 100g.

BIG difference in calories, fat, fiber, etc. In the case of avocados, I always weigh my portion. Too calorie-dense to guess. I agree with buying a digital food scale. It is my most prized kitchen gadget.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Would you all say one small to medium Haas Avocado is 1/4th of a cup of 1/8th of a cup. I have been entering it as 1/8th of a cup, but I think that is wrong. I think it is 1/4th of a cup. Thoughts?

-Mia

As some others have already pointed out. You need to weigh it. That is the most accurate way. Guessing is a prescription for failure. Especially with something like Avocado that is a healthy but high calorie item.
  • mia4502
    Options
    Thank you everyone. The only thing about weighing my avocado portion is that once you have cut it it browns super fast and when I take avocado to work I take a whole one. I guess I need to do it at home once on the scale just to see. I am still leaning towards 1/4
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I make it easy on myself and just eat the whole avocado! the measure I use just has 1 med avocado.
  • mia4502
    Options
    And YES I do have a food scale. I rarely use it. I guess I need to whip it out to drop these last ten pounds!
  • mkramarz
    mkramarz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You could always measure it but I'd say a quarter of a cup too
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm, avocados!!

You really should weigh them. I've seen a medium avocado vary in calories by 30% or more.

Edited to add:
    Can you take your food scale to work?