How quickly do you "lose" running fitness?

Options
hula808
hula808 Posts: 224 Member
I had a couple bad runs in a row and it messed with me mentally and was in a slump... that was about 3 weeks ago. Now Im trying to get back at it but 5k feels like Im dying where before 10k was normal. Do you really lose fitness that fast? Is it all in my head? Note I also donated blood less than a week ago and I know that affects me but it is soo hard to keep going. Its like I lost months of running endurance.

Replies

• bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ~bump!~ for later
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that after a week it starts to decline.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It can actually drop off pretty fast, the first couple of weeks in particular. Are you also running outdoors...if you've taken a break for a few weeks and then couple that with summer heat, it could really have an impact. Even at a relatively high running fitness level, I always struggle more in the summer heat, but I like training it it because I'm really strong come Fall racing.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I was consistently running about 25 miles a week, weekday runs usually 5-6 miles, long runs around 10. In early May, I had a miscarriage and lost a lot of blood. And still, I tried to run, but barely made it a mile (if that) before I was too weak to continue. Then the summer heat & humidity came and that was another blow. My running confidence hit an absolute all time low-to the point that I was almost afraid of going for a run because I didn't think I could psychologically handle the prospect of "failing" after just 2 miles.

Eventually, I accepted that I am where I am. I haven't run 25 miles a week in 3 months. Right now, for where I am, 3 continuous miles (no matter how slow) is a huge victory. I can't wish myself back to where I was. I can only rebuild from where I am.

Yes, in my experience, a few weeks and loss of blood makes a big impact. But the blow to confidence is just as bad (if not worse). I doubt it's all in your head, but I'm doing better at rebuilding now that my head is in a place of acceptance.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I had a couple bad runs in a row and it messed with me mentally and was in a slump... that was about 3 weeks ago. Now Im trying to get back at it but 5k feels like Im dying where before 10k was normal. Do you really lose fitness that fast? Is it all in my head? Note I also donated blood less than a week ago and I know that affects me but it is soo hard to keep going. Its like I lost months of running endurance.

Dot 1 = "I also donated blood less than a week ago"

Dot 2 = "I had a couple bad runs in a row"

Those dots ARE connected.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    In addition to my tongue in cheek posting…

Jack Daniels documents this in his book "Running Formula" which, unfortunately, I can't find at the moment!

However, these links might be helpful:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/how-long-does-it-take-to-lose-your-running-fitness/
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I was consistently running about 25 miles a week, weekday runs usually 5-6 miles, long runs around 10. In early May, I had a miscarriage and lost a lot of blood. And still, I tried to run, but barely made it a mile (if that) before I was too weak to continue. Then the summer heat & humidity came and that was another blow. My running confidence hit an absolute all time low-to the point that I was almost afraid of going for a run because I didn't think I could psychologically handle the prospect of "failing" after just 2 miles.

Eventually, I accepted that I am where I am. I haven't run 25 miles a week in 3 months. Right now, for where I am, 3 continuous miles (no matter how slow) is a huge victory. I can't wish myself back to where I was. I can only rebuild from where I am.

Yes, in my experience, a few weeks and loss of blood makes a big impact. But the blow to confidence is just as bad (if not worse). I doubt it's all in your head, but I'm doing better at rebuilding now that my head is in a place of acceptance.

Thanks for sharing your experience and Im so sorry for your loss.
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started running six years ago and broke my foot after about 2 years of consistent running. Since then I have been an on again off again runner and have gained much of the weight, that I lost while running, back. Every time I take time off, my first 2 to 3 runs back are pure agony, but its like magic, usually after the 3 or 4 run back I start to hit my stride again. Muscle memory exists and all it takes is taking those first steps out the door. If your running feels labored, just remember it won't last.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Until recently, I played soccer. We did not play during the summer. I kept in shape, but not game shape, not sprinting shape. That first game back in the fall was always horrible. But, by the second game, your aerobic capacity was back and you felt like you were in as good shape as you were at the end of the previous season.
    One game. That was all it took to recover what you had lost, having previously built it up.
    I am assuming the same applies here.
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Two summers ago I was able to run a mile in 9 minutes or less. For some reason between then and a few months ago I quit running, or cut back on it. I decided to start up again and it's been slow going but I have made progress. I also notice if I do not run for a week or two it's always harder when I start again. I do not run fast and I do not run far, usually between 2-3 miles a day, and on a treadmill. I have the same problem with running outside. Because I live in SD it's impossible to run outside all year round, so when I do attempt it in the spring I feel like my efforts are a waste! I'm going to get back to my 9 min mile eventually! Right now I run about a 11 min mile, which like I said is not fast, but it's something!!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used to run 3.5 miles a few times a week, relatively easy, then I didn't run for a little over 6 months. The first time I went running, I barely made it .70 miles, but by my 6th run (about 2 weeks later), I was running 3 miles again. It's a slightly slower pace, but the distance is about the same. I agree that it's a mental thing. I just had to make myself keep running. Good luck!