Uncommon issue: Not enough bad habits to break

Options
Hi All,

I love reading these boards. I usually get something out of most threads ~ be it info like recipes or tips ~ be it motivation from other people's successes ~ but generally something. I'm down 9 pounds but seem to be living on top of Mt Plateau for the last 2 weeks or so.

When I look for people who have lost about what I’d like to lose, I've notice that many folks speak of "downfall foods" ~ foods that they can't control themselves about. Or about eating out alot. Or cutting down liquor. Or about rarely eating healthy foods and eating mostly processed foods. Or all of the above.

Collectively these folks speak about how changing these things in their lives have accounted for their huge weight losses.

However, I came to MFP at least 60 pounds overweight ~ despite a fairly healthy diet. (My blood work is so textbook perfect that it annoys the Dr. ~ no stick to hit me with beside the raw number of my weight.)

I don't have downfall foods. I have been eating 3 small meals/3 big snacks for the most part since I had gestational diabetics with my now 16-year-old son. Carbs are mostly whole grains. Most days do 25+ fiber intake. I do a lot of cooking from scratch or near scratch with whole foods for my family of 6.

Some of my kids have food dye issues and I have gastro issues with some of the more chemical sounding ingredients in most processed foods ~ so "clean eating" is pretty standard for my family. I drink a whopping 12 oz of white wine a month.

I know that I could/should exercise more ~ and I am doing that and will do more of that. But has anyone come here significantly overweight despite a pretty good diet, and lost what they wanted to with just some moderate portion control and moderate exercise?

To be honest, I am afraid. I am afraid to lose the amount of weight that I want to, I would have to become some sort of tri-athlete ~ which I have neither the time or knees for. Or do I follow the program, continue to eat healthy foods, and still have my Doctor suck her teeth at my physical in October because I’m still “fat” ~ to hear for the jhghillionth time “Mrs Lain_Mac, you know you need to lose some weight.”

I’m losing the faith, people. Please help me out.

Replies

• sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey, Has your Thyroid been checked. This was my major issue on weight until the medication was given in correct dose. Just a thought. God Bless, brenda
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am on Thyroid meds. I see a endocrinologist twice a year. In addition to the standard T4 meds, he has a compounding pharmacy make up a specialized cocktail of natural T3 and other thyroid meds. (If I don't have some T3 daily, I get total brain fog).

Thanks for writing back.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Aww I wish I could eat "cleaner" this lifestyle change will be a long process. Are you meeting your calorie goal? Going over consistantly? Under consistantly? Maybe you should try the zig zag to give a shock to your system? Not sure really but DO NOT give up! You can do this!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think you've already answered your question - It sounds like you can cut the calories down a bit, but in the end you're going to have to step it up when it comes to fitness. Or if you're not physically able to work out there are a lot of low impact exercises that can be done. Yoga is a great work out and very low impact, same with pilates. What I would suggest is going through your food journal and finding out where you can tweak things and cut back on the calories (as long as you don't go too low no the cals) and then add a good low impact regimen.
  • janet67
    janet67 Posts: 38
    Options
    You are doing amazingly well in eating healthy and exercising. I know you've hit a plateau. . .so have I after losing 20 pounds. I am exercising more and eating a little less and hoping the pounds will still come off even if it's slowly.
    I think your Doc will be proud of you. . .maybe you should print out your log and let your doctor see what you are doing, and see if she has any advice.
    Hang in there girl. . .you'll make it!!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I temporarily changed my profile picture to my net calories since joining. (I eat about ½ to 2/3 of my exercise calories since I figured out I got exercise calories). I don't know if you can see it but except for 3 days, I've been within 100 calories of the target ~ with as many days under as over. I’d love to drop my food diary on the doctor but she’d probably think I’m lying about what I am eating. My food lists aren’t more caloric than others I’ve seen but seem really longer. I get 1650 before any exercise.

This is a typical enough day’s worth of food

Totals
    Calories 1,658
    Carbs 249
    Fat 49
    Protein 98
    Sodium 2,194
    Fiber 36

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    Teddie - Unsalted Old Fashioned Natural Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp
    Hannaford - English Muffin, 1 muffin
    Fruit Melon Salad - Fresh Fruit Salad (Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Honeydew, Grapes, Strawberries), 1 cup uncooked
    Generic - Banana, 1 Medium Raw, 1 banana
    Arnold - Whole Grains Bread - Double Fiber 100% Whole Wheat Bread , 2 slice
    Chicken - Chicken Breast - Skinless - Baked (Ck), 3 oz
    Kashi - Kashi Frozen Pizza - Mushroom Trio & Spinach, Thin Crust, 0.5 pizza
    Yogurt - Chobani Greek Vanilla Non-Fat, 8 oz
    Dole - Crushed Pineapple In 100% Pineapple Juice - No Sugar Added, 1/2 cup
    1/4 Cup Whole Milk - Vitamin D Milk, 1/2 cup
    Uncle Ben's Rice - 100% Whole Grain Brown Rice, 0.25 cup cooked
    Polaner All Fruit With Fiber - Strawberry Spread, 0.33 tablespoon
    Homemade - Minestrone (Vegetable) Soup, 1.5 cups cooked
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just off the top of my head, your salt intake is REALLY high. You definately need to cut way down on salt. Salt will make you retain water, which in turn makes you weigh more. Cut out the packaged Kashi pizza....that is LOADED with salt. You should also start keeping track of your sugar intake. Remember that sugar turns into fat! You also need to eat more veggies. Fruit is good, but veggies are better. They will help you more than fruit will. And add in fatty fish (like Salmon or Tuna). Like for lunch today, I had 3 cups of lettuce, 2 cups of spinach (all fresh, so that made my salad), and I had a Salmon burger on top. All of that together, including dressing, was 264 calories. Filled me up for most of the afternoon! Also, make sure you're drinking enough water and/or home brewed tea. I like my tea with some honey and soy milk. It's filling, and again, very few calories (plus it ups my water intake!). I think you're getting on the right track, but your food does need some tweaking.

I temporarily changed my profile picture to my net calories since joining. (I eat about ½ to 2/3 of my exercise calories since I figured out I got exercise calories). I don't know if you can see it but except for 3 days, I've been within 100 calories of the target ~ with as many days under as over. I’d love to drop my food diary on the doctor but she’d probably think I’m lying about what I am eating. My food lists aren’t more caloric than others I’ve seen but seem really longer. I get 1650 before any exercise.

This is a typical enough day’s worth of food

Totals
    Calories 1,658
    Carbs 249
    Fat 49
    Protein 98
    Sodium 2,194
    Fiber 36

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    Teddie - Unsalted Old Fashioned Natural Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp
    Hannaford - English Muffin, 1 muffin
    Fruit Melon Salad - Fresh Fruit Salad (Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Honeydew, Grapes, Strawberries), 1 cup uncooked
    Generic - Banana, 1 Medium Raw, 1 banana
    Arnold - Whole Grains Bread - Double Fiber 100% Whole Wheat Bread , 2 slice
    Chicken - Chicken Breast - Skinless - Baked (Ck), 3 oz
    Kashi - Kashi Frozen Pizza - Mushroom Trio & Spinach, Thin Crust, 0.5 pizza
    Yogurt - Chobani Greek Vanilla Non-Fat, 8 oz
    Dole - Crushed Pineapple In 100% Pineapple Juice - No Sugar Added, 1/2 cup
    1/4 Cup Whole Milk - Vitamin D Milk, 1/2 cup
    Uncle Ben's Rice - 100% Whole Grain Brown Rice, 0.25 cup cooked
    Polaner All Fruit With Fiber - Strawberry Spread, 0.33 tablespoon
    Homemade - Minestrone (Vegetable) Soup, 1.5 cups cooked
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Try dropping the cals to 1300-1400 for a week and see if that breaks you loose. Confuse the bod a bit.

Good Luck!