Smokers who have quit while losing their weight?

Options
Okay, so I've smoked heavily (pack a day or more) for 10 years. I have made a few attempts to quit (the longest being two months). I've been eating well and exercising for about 2 weeks, and feeling so much better. However, I still feel pretty gross from smoking...it slows me down when exercising as well. I want to feel good overall and be truly healthy, so I need to quit.

I really want to quit, but am hesitant because I don't want to jeopardize weight loss.

I know other people have done both at once, so I would love some tips.

My go-to food when quitting smoking before was always shelled sunflower seeds, but I know they're full of sodium/high in calories. What are some other ideas of things I can eat (in large quantities when I get monster nicotine cravings, haha) that won't put too much of a dent in my daily calories?

And as a side benefit to being healthy, It'll also really help me financially. I'm not sure if cigarettes are as expensive in America as in Canada, but I pay about 12 dollars a pack(so, 12$ a day!!). I'm done paying people to help me die!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• nica8605
    nica8605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    when my aunt quit smoking she started eating alot of those spearmint round mints u can buy in bulk.. I don't know the calorie intake on them but they helped her with cravings
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    Dang...12.00 dollars a pack..
    I am on my second week of no smoking but am also taking Chantix prescribed by my doctor. I am not craving nor eating anything as a replacement...lucky few I guess.
    I feel better and am able to swim about 5 laps in the pool at my gym.

You will find as you quit smoking, you can do more and breathe easier.
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm anxious to see the responses... I smoke, too, and do not want to quit while eating healthier/less... but when I jog, I still get winded and I'm sure smoking is why. I've been smoking for 20 yrs (minus about a year while I was pregnant).

$12?!?!?!?! Holy Crap!! I thought it was bad here in the US!! I smoke a generic brand and pay $5-$6 per pack.

Good luck!!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Gum, Suckers (works great for the hand to mouth), Fruit, Veggies.

Don't worry about the weight gain from quitting. I gained 6 lbs when I quit, and those 6 lbs came back off so easily. The benefits you gain from quitting are far greater than a few pounds you may put on from doing it.

Before I quit I was spending $14 a day on smokes (2 packs a day split between my fiance and I). Talk about a money saver!! I can actually afford food now!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The lifesaver mints are about 14 calories each. There are other things to keep you from smoking, don't TRY to find a food to replace it 'cause then you'll really be in bad shape.

Tell yourself you'll do one thing every time you get the urge to smoke. Do one sit up or push up, go for a walk, snap a rubberband around your wrist, drink a glass of water, etc.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight Sept of last year and quit smoking Jan of this past year.. if I can do it you can do it!! My husband is still smoking and was the whole time I quit.

I felt so much better exercising after quitting and all around better. I'm here for any questions or support!!
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    This is something I've been worried about as well. I smoke too and have wanted to quit for even longer than I've wanted to lose weight but I just haven't been able to! I'm getting to a point now though that I can wake up in the morning and go till nearly noon without even having one and then it just hits me - I gotta have it. BUT I get about 1/2 way through it and it just tastes so gross and I throw it out. I have stopped smoking in my house completely. I used to just not smoke in the house durning the day when the kids were here (I do a daycare) but really what was the point if I was smoking in the house all evening and night long and on the weekends? So I stopped smoking inside altogether and I think that has helped. I hate having to go outside to do it for one thing. Winter is fast approaching so that will suck even more! I hope to have completely stopped by the end of the year. I was up to nearly a pack and a half a day - then was down to about 10-12 a day and now I'm down to about 6-7 a day. Next week I will only have 5-6 a day and so on. I have found by just cutting one or two out in a day really helps too. If I have a really bad urge - I smoke one - If I feel like I can curb it - I do 50 sit ups or walk - I feel so accomplished afterwards! MUCH better than I probably would feel if I sat on my fat butt and smoked a cigarette!

I was worried about gaining weight as well but like someone else above posted - the small gain is worth the health benefits we will all get from quitting!

Good Luck to all of you who want to and are trying to quit!
  • PurpleGem
    Options
    I made the decision to quit smoking at the same time as losing weight.
    I figured since I was already trying to be healthy by eating healthier, why was I smoking then.
    So about 4 weeks into eating healthier, and basically having control of my eating habits, I decided to quit smoking cold turkey. I will be honest, the first week was horrible (just because of the cravings) but eating wise it was great. Because I had already told myself that I could only eat so many calories a day and what I was allowed to eat, ect, I just wasn't eating badly after quitting smoking.
    So to sum it up, I have been eating healthier for 110 days (33 lbs lost), and I have been smoke free for 79 days.
    It definitly makes it easier to work out, and go for walks once you quit smoking. You will feel great about yourself and your body.
    So if you have control of your eating habits, I'm telling you it is the best time to quit smoking because you have already proven to yourself that you have willpower, and you will be able to quit!
    Good luck!! :)
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    I am trying the same thing as I smoke a pack a day as well .... I would love to hear as well what other people have done :)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I stopped two days ago and I put on 2lb in two days, this made me feel so bad I have now smoked. Don't want to be putting on a lb a day :O I havent eaten anything different and have exercised more. Would love to hear more peoples stories, because atm I dont think I can do it :(
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i don"t know if this will help anybody but it work for me :noway: frist i went on the hcg diet and stayed on the 500 calorie phase for about a week :sad: alls i could think about was food not cigs. after i got my energy back :huh: i started to exercise alot and drink alot of water . i feel so much better than i did after 32 years of smoking . its a littel scary because im only on my 25 day but i do think i have it whipped. i hope you quit to
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    P L E A S E read the book, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Alan Carr....at least look at the reviews on Amazon!!!!!
    God bless you all that are trying to quit!!! I smoked for 21 years and know exactly what hell you are going through!!!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'd say the BEST time to quit smoking is when you are on a diet and have your food intake under control. I didn't do it that way, but wish I had. I know plenty of people that did, and there wasn't a problem. You see, the MAIN reason (there are others) you put on weight when you quit smoking is because you just naturally reach for something to take its place; that is usually food. If you're in a place, mentally, where your eating is out of control anyhow, then you wont mind doing that. At least when you are watching your weight you will be utterly conscious of not going there :wink:

The other reason you put on weight is because your metabolism naturally slows down for a while, while your body adjusts to losing the stimulant of nicotine. Again, if you are at MFP where you already making changes, with diet and exercise, to increase your metabolism, then this won't kick in half as much, or even at all, like the lady said a few posts ago, you definitly CAN quit smoking AND lose weight :love:

The BEST thing I ever did in my life was quit smoking. That was nearly 6 years ago. Do it now!!! You won't regret it I promise. :flowerforyou:

Oh!! And if you like support communities like this one, then you will LOVE Quitnet.com it's a community for smokers who are quitting/quit. It kept me totally focused and, literally, saved my life!!

GO FOR IT!! :bigsmile:

Oh! And chewing sugar free gum was the best non-calorie crotch I had - and wine, but we wont talk about that one...lol :drinker:

LIVE LONGER - QUIT SMOKING!!!!
  • angie0184
    angie0184 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been quit for exactly 3 weeks, 4 days, 4 hours & 13 minutes. I agree with a couple of the other posters, I would definitely not seek a food as a replacement, you're just setting yourself up for weight gain that way. If you absolutely can't help it, do carrots or celery sticks. I used weight gain as my excuse to not quit smoking for close to 8 years and I finally woke up one morning (suffering yet again from one of my chronic headaches I got from smoking) and realized how goofy that sounded. I don't want to gain the (at most) prob 15 pounds I could put on from quitting, but I'm willing to continue to let cigarettes ruin my health and my bank account? I haven't actually put on any weight on in the almost month that I've quit, but I'm feeling a teensy frustrated tonight because I haven't lost a single pound since i started this. I wish you the absolute best of luck, both with the weight loss and quitting smoking. I've only been off them for less than a month, & yes the cravings hit (very lightly and go away quick), but it's been the absolute best decision I EVER made.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking (and went veg) a few months ago. I'm not trying to scare you, but I've gained almost 30 lbs since. It's weird because I'm eating better than I ever have my entire life...and exercising to boot :noway: I think it has something to do with metabolism or something...who knows. What I do know is....I am not going to start smoking again!
  • somethingvague
    Options
    It might also be because of being veg? I know when I first started being veg I gained a tonne of weight, when I was expecting to lose! But that was because I didn't really know what I was doing at first, and instead of replacing meat with tofu, fake meat, veggies, etc...I replaced it with junk and carbs. I know a lot of people who had this problem at first...but since you said you're eating better than ever, I assume it's probably not it.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in January. I was a pack a day smoker too and yeah, they were about 8 bucks a pack.
    I didn't replace smoking with food. I replaced smoking with BREATHING. When I would start to nic out I did some deep breathing exercizes and if that didn't work I'd take lap. I get up and walk around the office or go outside. I tried really hard not to replace it with food. If you need to satiate the oral fixation I found chewing on straws or sugarfree gum really helped.

I haven't had a cigarette since Jan 8th 2010. I ran my first 5K in June and am going to run another in a couple weeks. I couldn't imagine going back. Just quit. You don't need them as much as you need your life and your health.

You can do it we're all here for you!!
    :drinker:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I've been quit for exactly 3 weeks, 4 days, 4 hours & 13 minutes. I agree with a couple of the other posters, I would definitely not seek a food as a replacement, you're just setting yourself up for weight gain that way. If you absolutely can't help it, do carrots or celery sticks. I used weight gain as my excuse to not quit smoking for close to 8 years and I finally woke up one morning (suffering yet again from one of my chronic headaches I got from smoking) and realized how goofy that sounded. I don't want to gain the (at most) prob 15 pounds I could put on from quitting, but I'm willing to continue to let cigarettes ruin my health and my bank account? I haven't actually put on any weight on in the almost month that I've quit, but I'm feeling a teensy frustrated tonight because I haven't lost a single pound since i started this. I wish you the absolute best of luck, both with the weight loss and quitting smoking. I've only been off them for less than a month, & yes the cravings hit (very lightly and go away quick), but it's been the absolute best decision I EVER made.

WAY TO GO Angie!!!! :flowerforyou: I agree its the best decision you've ever made :bigsmile: Dont' worry about the weight. I know its frustrating but I guarantee it will start dropping off again. Perhaps try upping your exercise and eating more frequently. The main reason is to increase your metabolism. Oh, and green tea is good for that. Or even coffee if you can't handle green tea (green tea is healthier than coffee). Anyway, caffeine is a similar stimulant to nicotine. But please dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to turn you into a caffeine addict instead. I'm just saying add one or two cups per day to try and stimulate your metabolism. (God, I can feel a telling off coming now from someone.......lol.....sorry to anyone in advance if you think I'm advocation caffeine addiction.....)

All the best and CONGRATULATIONS on your month.......that's AWESOME!!

oh, and join Quitnet.com if you haven't already. I joined it on day 26 and it saved my life!!! I'll never forget it, that was the night I was just about to go and buy a packet..........six years later and I'm smoke free because I logged into quitnet instead......YEAH!! :bigsmile:
  • somethingvague
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And major props to everyone who has quit!

It's funny because my Mom quit almost 2 years ago (and also lost 60 pounds..so proud of her!!) and she constantly tells me to read her Alan Carr book and go on quitnet.com, but I never listen...but this site is really helping me with my weight loss journey, so I think I'll check out quitnet for sure.

So tomorrow is going to be day one! Cold turkey (I don't want any nicotine in my system if i'm doing this), so cross 'em for me!

Time to go spend all of my money on healthy food, so even if I want to buy smokes - I won't be able to! Haha.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I quit smoking (and went veg) a few months ago. I'm not trying to scare you, but I've gained almost 30 lbs since. It's weird because I'm eating better than I ever have my entire life...and exercising to boot :noway: I think it has something to do with metabolism or something...who knows. What I do know is....I am not going to start smoking again!

Jeez!! That's rough hun. I dont know anyone who put on that much, even if they stuffed their face for a couple of months!! Are you sure it isnt the change of diet, to veggie? You might be eating some unknown quantity that is spiking your body. Or perhaps its just been TOO much change for your body cope with. Dunno! Sounds like a bit of a coincidence tho.

All the best :flowerforyou: