Just cannot do it!

Options
Hi have been away from MFP for about a month now. I joined up in January and managed to lose a stone. Everything was going well and I lost 1 stone. Unfortunately I have been under a lot of stress in the past few weeks and am suffering from depression. I am back to comfort eating and am undoing all my good work. Seriously considering the gastric band option.

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You do understand that even with the surgery, you'll have to change your habits, right? The surgery isn't an automatic success.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    If you are eating for comfort, surgery won't solve anything. I was a total emotional eater. I was not successful until I took the emotion out of the equation, and began concentrating on mainly eating for sustenance and nutrition. You might have had a setback, but you have done it before and you can do it again. I don't know how many "Day Ones" I have had over the years, but you just have to leave yesterday where it is and start fresh today. You can do it!

7396232.png
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    Not sure why we tend to lean towards "Easy" fixes. First you need to figure out what is emotionally eating you in order to fix your outword eating issues. Trust me... I struggle with this one myself.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You do understand that even with the surgery, you'll have to change your habits, right? The surgery isn't an automatic success.

This. Exactly.

If you don't address the comfort eating, you'll have a really hard time with the band. First, you'll throw up everything over what your pouch of a stomach can handle... and then when you keep doing that and you are able to handle more and more, you'll put weight back on.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    You are better off not getting surgery - risk of infection alone should deter you, also they are going to be doing an invasive procedure that will take quite a while to recover.

Surgery, for anything, should always be the last option. If there's ways to fix it without surgery, wouldn't you rather do that?

And yes, you will still need to change your eating habits. So either way, if you lose weight the good old fashioned way, or have the surgery, you'll still need to change your ways.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! If you want to. :smile:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    if you keep telling yourself that you can't, then you're right, you can't and you never will overcome your 'stress' eating habits until you get control over the mental aspect of weightloss.

What is the point of the band if you don't take care of the unhealthy eating habits?
  • TinaBina90
    TinaBina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Everyday is a new day. If things are stressful, don't try to change too much too fast. Start by changing one small thing for a week or so and build on top of that. I am trying that myself. I think it allows you to feel successful instead of changing your whole life at one time and then failing. Small victories! You can do this!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, what is a stone in pounds? About 15 pounds or so?
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can do it!! You just have to really want it, and believe that you can do it. After you do those two things for real, everything else gets easier.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

THIS...just this...

the surgery fails just as everything else does if you don't change your habits.

there's no point in the surgery if you are going to allow yourself to do this to you.

just don't waste the doctors and your time, please?

YOU have to change you.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    WIth that attitude you are sure to fail.

Change it. Only you are in control of yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi have been away from MFP for about a month now. I joined up in January and managed to lose a stone. Everything was going well and I lost 1 stone. Unfortunately I have been under a lot of stress in the past few weeks and am suffering from depression. I am back to comfort eating and am undoing all my good work. Seriously considering the gastric band option.

Well, that's an option...but what happens when you get stressed out again and/or depressed? Gastric band doesn't ensure permanent weight loss and you get put on an even more restricted diet than you would with MFP.

My advice...use MFP the way it is intended to be used...select a reasonable weight loss goal for a reasonable calorie deficit that is sustainable...you don't have to lose a gagillion pounds per week. Eat back your exercise calories (google NEAT method...MFP is a NEAT method calculator)...make better overall nutritional decisions but allow yourself the occasional treat...and go get your fitness on. Exercise and fitness is going to do more to help you deal with stress and depression than anything else....

Stressing out....

med_stressed-man.jpg

and dealing with it...

20130514_184202.jpg
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, what is a stone in pounds? About 15 pounds or so?

You're close. I believe it's 14 lbs.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    From your title, it sounds like your verdict is in. You can't. You can't be your best. You can't have the life you imagine in a healthier body. You can't have joy, it's not for you. If your mind is made up, I can't imagine what I, or anyone else, could say to the contrary if it's already been decided.

Unless it hasn't.

That little spark in you, the one that made you post this, the part that doesn't quite believe this is as good as it gets...why don't you let HER drive for a while? I don't care if you mostly think it's hopeless. Start anyway. Just.. F@cking. Begin.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You look a little young to be on MFP, from the looks of your profile pic... :flowerforyou: Just kidding obviously.

Try to keep in mind that even though all that comfort food tastes good, it doesn't necessarily feel good, especially a few hours later. And it *definitely* doesn't help with the stress, depression, anxiety, etc. in the long run. If you've never been to counseling, that might be helpful for your depression. But you can try to help yourself in other ways, specifically by eating tons of fresh vegetables, fruits, and great protein sources and getting in some good workouts that will make you sweat. You already know this isn't as easy as it sounds. But try to step outside your body for a sec and look at your life from a somewhat-objective perspective. Then try to treat yourself like you would a close, best friend who is also struggling with weight and depression. P.M. me if you ever want to chat more.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    if you keep telling yourself that you can't, then you're right, you can't and you never will overcome your 'stress' eating habits until you get control over the mental aspect of weightloss.

What is the point of the band if you don't take care of the unhealthy eating habits?

This.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    THIS!!

Someone in my family had the surgery...lost like 100 lbs in about 9 months, kept if off for less than a year, then steadily gained it ALL back again over the next two years (and then some). She also has TONS of stomach problems and get sick from eating all the time.

Don't give up on doing it the right way!
  • rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The problem with being an emotional eater is I have a combo of bipolar disorder and I am a recovering borderline personality. I turned to prescription drugs for years and it was easy. I had a drug of abuse for every mood-valium for the anxiety, caffeine pills plus pseudoephrine for drowsiness or slow thoughts and my favourite, the opiates for sadness. People take painkillers for physical pain all the time (and that is how I started out on them) but I ended up taking them for emotional pain and if I had gone on I would have killed myself the doses I was on.
    Now I do not have my drugs I am turning to food to alter my mood. It works in the short term but then I get an energy crash and weight gain is slowing me down.
    I have put on about 50 lbs since quitting drugs. It is just really tough. I struggle to control my emotions and thus struggle to control my eating. I am thinking of trying overeaters anonymous and seeing if that helps.
  • shareelynette
    shareelynette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had gastric band and because I didn't change my habits, I didn't lose weight after the initial loss. I actually GAINED weight over christmas with my band because I was just binge eating whatever I wanted. I thought it would be an easy fix too but it's not. You have to start with nutrition and exercise!