In the news: 2 large meals per day

Options
KenosFeoh
KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
The Czech Republic Ministry of Health did a study with 57 diabetic patients and discovered that the group on 2 large meals per day lost more body fat (1.23% vs 0.67%) than the group on 6 small meals per day even though the calorie counts and foods served were exactly the same.

Interesting. I will have to try this, which would be a huge change in habit since by nature I am a grazer/snacker rather than a meal eater.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    have you a link to the study?
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    have you a link to the study?

This is from a local Iowa news website, but the general story is here. I saw this article this morning at work and wondered about the same thing!

http://www.kcci.com/news/health/Fewer-larger-meals-key-to-weight-loss/-/9356934/20706134/-/j8013hz/-/index.html

I've been dealing with a lot of personal issues as of lately and my appetite has been curbed. So there has been days when I'd skip breakfast or lunch. And surprisingly, when weighing in a couple times over the past week and a half, I lost a total of 3 pounds.

Could be true or just the stress diet, hahaha.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since January and things have been going very well for me. On a typical day I start eating around 10:30/11AM and stop eating around 4/4:30PM and I get all of my calories in. I have seen lots of fat loss during this time and I can tell my body likes the break from digesting food. I used to eat and snack all day everyday.

I'm enjoying eating 2 substantial meals instead of little meals and snacks throughout the day. I may have to increase my eating window as I am getting close to goal, but this is something sustainable I can see doing for the rest of my life.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I do this for maintenance and I don't have to track or count anything :) Loving it!
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A study with only 57 subjects would hardly be conclusive.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would just eat my two large meals and end up snacking in between anyway.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A study with only 57 subjects would hardly be conclusive.

No, but it is suggestive. But other studies were suggestive of other meal timing patterns performing better.

If it sounds like a meal pattern you could be happy with, it's worth a try.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I know it's not conclusive, but it is interesting.

My problem in recent months has been keeping a lid on my calorie count, but for months before that I was close to my calorie limit nearly every day and kept losing and re-gaining the same 4 pounds on 4 meals per day. Clearly, I needed to tweak something; instead, I gave up. I've got a little hope now.