Goal clothing

Options
So... I have a question. Do you think it's healthy/helpful to go out and buy yourself an item of clothing that you hope to someday fit into but wouldn't dream of trying it on now... or do you think it's setting yourself up for failure because you look at that item and realize how far away from your goal you are?

I ask this, because I've thought about buying some cute jeans in a size 10 that I'd love to wear.. but I'm not sure if looking at them everyday would help me or make me frustrated.

What's your take on it??

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So... I have a question. Do you think it's healthy/helpful to go out and buy yourself an item of clothing that you hope to someday fit into but wouldn't dream of trying it on now... or do you think it's setting yourself up for failure because you look at that item and realize how far away from your goal you are?

I ask this, because I've thought about buying some cute jeans in a size 10 that I'd love to wear.. but I'm not sure if looking at them everyday would help me or make me frustrated.

What's your take on it??

I have a skirt, size 10 that I keep in my wardrobe. I can't fit into it at the moment, however, another 14lbs and my goal weight will see me in it.

I say go for it!
  • Leekc926
    Options
    I've bought a very nifty shirt that I've loved for quite some time now. I can't wear it yet, but I know I will be able to in the future. I also leave it in the middle of my closet so that I see it regularly. I want it in the forefront of my mind so that I can.. "keep my eye on the prize" so to speak. I don't think I'm setting myself up for failure and I know that I'll be able to wear it in the semi-near future.

Good luck with your goal outfit if you decide to buy one.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I always have pants in a size smaller than I am. It's silly, but I look at them, compare them to my 'fat pants' and try them on about once every two weeks. It's really a double edged sword. Sometimes they make me feel huge and generally hopeless and others they make me excited and I look forward to them fitting. Just have to figure out what works for you and go with it!
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I have 2 boxes of clothes that are a size or 2 too small and those are my goals...to fit into them...I know I will get into them because I have already reached a goal of wearing under size 20...I am on an 18 and I plan on getting to those boxes and go from there.
  • ericdenise2008
    Options
    I say do it. I am not buying a new piece of clothing, but hanging in my closet are my jeans that i wore on my first date with my husband. It is motivation for me to keep going so i can fit into them again. Good luck on your wieght loss :)
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    IMO, it depends on you. Only you will know if this is something that will make you determined or frustrated.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it... I find jeans fit differently depending on brand and style. When(if) my current clothes no longer work because they are too loose...then I'll do some happy pants shopping. Till then, I hope for a loose feeling pair of pants someday.. and to be able to just wear some of the items I already have....that are now too darn tight.

It really depends on you, imo.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I have my skinny clothes that are slowly becoming too big, but I won't go buy anything just because of the changes your body makes as it gets smaller--you never know how something might fit. I have to say though, fitting into that item will be a huge boost, so go for it if you want. I would just say make it a cheap item just in case you don't like how it looks even if it fits. Good luck!
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    I haven't bought anything however I have this green dress that I wore exactly once before I realized that I look hideous it. I have it hanging on the back nof my bathroom door so that way I see it every single day. And it serves to remind one reason why I am trying to lose weight.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have a form fitting dress that I recently bought. It's in my current size, however I keep it hung up on my bedroom door. We snack a lot in the bedroom, so that dress right there reminds to watch my portion sizes. Also, I have a picture of myself at my old 273 lbs. that is taped to our snack cabinet. I think visual cues are helpful and the smaller size outfit may be helpful.

Keep this in mind. What ever extra $10 that you might have can go to a good yoga DVD at Target. What ever extra $30 can buy some hand weights. An extra $45 can get you that mani/pedi that will make you feel good about yourself and help you carry your head up. So, I would definitely spend extra on anything that will help you reach your goal.
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    Personally..I like having clothes in my closet that fit...and I have nothing in there that is too big. I used to have lots of pants that I could only wear with certain types of shirts..etc. It makes me feel good to have only clothes in my closet that I can wear, that look good no matter how or what I wear them with. Just a thought! Good luck in your personal journey!
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Do u have any clothes that fit you tight now or dont fit, you can use those for now as goal clothes instead of buying something completely new. once anything that fit you tight started fitting looser than you can go for something smaller cuz than that shows your getting somewhere and it wont discourage you. i had alot of things in my closet that didnt fit for a long time and now its like a i have all these new options in my closet lol