Does anyone stay within their MFP sugar goals?

Options
Lorkilee
Lorkilee Posts: 15 Member
Question for MFP Veterans,

What is the daily allotment of sugar based on in the unadjusted " food goals"? I am trying to eat healthy on the Nutrisystem program with added fruits, veggies, and protein, but I cannot seem to stay within my given 26 grams per day. I am a rule-follower, and those red numbers are alarming. Is this something I should really be stressing? Does anyone have suggestions for either keeping this more in-check or adjusting it to a more realistic goal? MUCH thanks for your help and feedback!

Replies

• JRChadwick
    JRChadwick Posts: 52
    Options
    It's the fruit that does it for me. Any day I eat at least four servings, I go above the sugar limit. I don't worry too much. It is not sucrose or high fructose corn syrup, it is natural monosaccharides and while too much of those can be unhealthy as well, this web site groups them all together and that can be misleading.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I actually did yesterday. I was shocked!

(I don't structure my food around the sugar number. I avoid added sugar as a general rule, so my 'sugar' is coming from fruit, vegetables, and some dairy. Plus, I stay below my carb number. Even with all of that, it's rare that I stay below the sugar number listed. When I do it feels like a small accomplishment).
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Nope, I go over every day. But most of my sugar comes from fruit, so I don't stress over it. My blood work is awesome, and I am losing weight, so I see no need to stress over it.
  • andretti62
    andretti62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Based on my 1200 calorie a day eating regiment I am allowed 40 grams of sugar as per mfp.
    As I log in my food i check all those things protein, fat, etc and then i go from there..
    I always try to maintain all the different goals but some days if one is higher i try to watch that food group on the next day and go a bit below it so that way i can balance it out for the week.
  • andretti62
    andretti62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss thats awesome.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No, I don't even track it anymore. Just having a healthy amount of fruit every day will be over, it's pretty useless.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I asked a weight loss coach about this and she says she isn't concerned about it as long as it's from fruit and my sodium, fat, carbs, and calories are in check.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but I don't have any health concerns. I find most of MFP's macro suggestions useless anyway.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If it is from fruit I wouldn't be too worried if you're staying relatively close. If you wanted to keep sugar down you can opt for less sugary fruits with high fiber. Apples, dark berries, etc. Watermelon and cantalop are in season but they are really high in sugar so I wouldn't recommend plowing through a bunch of them.

Highest Fiber Fruits
    Apples
    Avocado
    Berries -- Blueberies, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.
    Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, etc.

Here's a link that is pretty informative:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/#axzz2XKlqafiZ
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Based on my 1200 calorie a day eating regiment I am allowed 40 grams of sugar as per mfp.
    As I log in my food i check all those things protein, fat, etc and then i go from there..
    I always try to maintain all the different goals but some days if one is higher i try to watch that food group on the next day and go a bit below it so that way i can balance it out for the week.

I upped my sugar to 90 since that all comes from fruit 90% of the time. What gets me is the sugars added in foods, like when you eat a restaurant meal. so the fruit even though it totals a higher amount of sugar that this site recommends, i think it is healthier than if i get sugars from other stuff.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm always snacking on fruit.
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Based on MFP, my daily allotment of sugar is 38 grams. 95% or more of the time I'm far under that. I rarely go over. However, I always go over on Sodium and Protein!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's the fruit that does it for me. Any day I eat at least four servings, I go above the sugar limit. I don't worry too much. It is not sucrose or high fructose corn syrup, it is natural monosaccharides and while too much of those can be unhealthy as well, this web site groups them all together and that can be misleading.

Just because it's fruit doesn't mean it doesn't contain sucrose.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the topic of fruit... stock up now while it's in season! Buy fruit on sale and freeze it. It's good in soy smoothies! :)
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I try really hard. Usually go over but it's just because of fruit so I don't really worry to much.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Question for MFP Veterans,

What is the daily allotment of sugar based on in the unadjusted " food goals"? I am trying to eat healthy on the Nutrisystem program with added fruits, veggies, and protein, but I cannot seem to stay within my given 26 grams per day. I am a rule-follower, and those red numbers are alarming. Is this something I should really be stressing? Does anyone have suggestions for either keeping this more in-check or adjusting it to a more realistic goal? MUCH thanks for your help and feedback!

I go over on sugar every single day as I like my fruit. For this reason, I have taken off the sugar total in my diary.

I am not in denial, I just find that over one piece of fruit will push the sugar over and that to me, is ridiculous.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do most days
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe the MFP setting is based on those suggested by the Institute Of Medicine. When I used to track sugar I was rarely over, but I also rarely eat more than 1 serving of fruit per day. I no longer track it but my diet hasn't changed much.

Unless your doctor has adviced you to limit all sugar, I do not believe sugar from fruit should be a concern.