Low Fat Alfredo??

Options
alphaip
alphaip Posts: 86
I've perfected my Blackened Chicken - and I have some good rice pasta/whole grain pasta. I want to make an Alfredo sauce for blackened chicken pasta - if you have a recipe that you have tried and ways to make it yummy and low fat, please let me know.

Replies

• tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted this recipe sounds really good too

Just made this terrific alfredo sauce I got off of Hungry Girl newletter. I made 4 servings of it for dinner tonight.
    Regular recipe is:
    1 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    2 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    salt and pepper, to taste
    Add sour cram, grated topping, and cheese wedge, breaking cheese wedge into pieces as you add it. Microwave for 1 minute.

99 calories, 4g fat, 376 mg sodium, 9.5 g carbs, 4g fiber, 1 g sugar, 5.5 g protein

I made 4 servings with 4 wedges of cheese, 4 tsp. fat-free sour cream, and 8 tsp. of grated cheese. Made spaghetti noodles and poured the sauce over the noodles. Nuke the sauce before putting it over the noodles. I don't use salt and pepper in my food and it was just fine. I had 8 oz. of spaghetti with the sauce. It's in the database now. The other recipe is the old one. Enjoy
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    thanks!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've perfected my Blackened Chicken - and I have some good rice pasta/whole grain pasta. I want to make an Alfredo sauce for blackened chicken pasta - if you have a recipe that you have tried and ways to make it yummy and low fat, please let me know.

What do you use for the blackened chicken?
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    this sounds SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD !!:heart:
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    this sounds SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD !!:heart:

i'm not much of a pasta guy. but that sounds amazing....then again I'm in Korea....anything Americanized sounds amazing....
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A great "aflredo for dummies" is a Kraft recipe that is quite simply a brick of cream cheese, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup butter or margerine, and 3/4 grated parmesan cheese. All of those things come in non-fat or reduced fat varieties. Not sure how low fat you need, but I swear by this recipe.
  • alphaip
    Options
    Okay - it took me FOREVER to learn how to blacken chicken without blowing my diet with tons of butter. I used to work at steak and ale in late 80s and they made the best - but it took a bunch of butter. Here's what I do. I take out two plates. On one plate I spray some olive oil. On the next plate, I have the dry Zatarains Blackend Seasoning that I've found at wal-mart.

I've also tried coconut oil with sucess instead of olive oil. I've read that as a MCT, the body is more likely to consume coconut oil as energy than to store it as fat.

Wipe the raw thawed boneless skinless breasts on the oiled plate (one side at a time), and then push them into the blackened seasoning - the seasoning will stick (some people only do one side as it's easier and the taste is still great). In the meantime, I have a cast iron skillet- sprayed with olive oil - quite a bit - just to where it starts to pool. When white smoke starts coming off the pan, you throw on the breast for about 90 seconds on each side - sometimes you can put pressure on it to really make a nice blackend crust - then I pull them out of the pan and put them on the grill them for about 8 minutes until the meat is at 165. You have to play with the timing and the amount of oil in the pan - if your seasoning is coming off the chicken in sheets and sticking to the pan, you have to bump up the oil a bit.

I make about 5 of these breasts, and I've been putting them over a mixture of whole grain rice, organic beans, diced tomatos, and grilled green and red peppers- man it is the best - now on to the alfredo!
  • alphaip
    Options
    This is exactly what I wanted - thank you!
  • cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    bump!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Great ideas; thanks!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CFaye
    CFaye Posts: 59
    Options
    Someone just posted this recipe sounds really good too

Just made this terrific alfredo sauce I got off of Hungry Girl newletter. I made 4 servings of it for dinner tonight.
    Regular recipe is:
    1 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    2 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    salt and pepper, to taste
    Add sour cram, grated topping, and cheese wedge, breaking cheese wedge into pieces as you add it. Microwave for 1 minute.

99 calories, 4g fat, 376 mg sodium, 9.5 g carbs, 4g fiber, 1 g sugar, 5.5 g protein

I made 4 servings with 4 wedges of cheese, 4 tsp. fat-free sour cream, and 8 tsp. of grated cheese. Made spaghetti noodles and poured the sauce over the noodles. Nuke the sauce before putting it over the noodles. I don't use salt and pepper in my food and it was just fine. I had 8 oz. of spaghetti with the sauce. It's in the database now. The other recipe is the old one. Enjoy

I have made this laughing cow cheese Alfredo sauce many times, and I love it!! and I also use it for the sauce on my homemade chicken pizza on whole wheat thin crust!! YUM!!
  • jtotheno
    jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    buuuuuuuump
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
    1/2 cup skim milk
    2 garlic gloves
    2 Tablespoons Flour ( I am using whole wheat)
    1 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
    1 tsp dried Basil
    1/2 teas dry mustard
    1/2 teas salt (optional)
    4 cups cooked Barilla Plus Whole wheat pasta
    16 oz grilled chicken

Put Cottage Cheese, Milk and garlic in blender and mix. Add rest of ingredients and blend until smooth. Put in a sauce pan and heat until warm but do not boil.

Correct portions would be 1 cup of pasta with 4 oz of chicken and 1 cup of alfredo sauce.

Serves 4
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    kaplowie!