Hello everyone i am a 53yr woman

Hello I stopped smoking at xmas and have put on 1 and a 1/2 stone . My problem is my sweet tooth can anyone help me with low calorie treats please . For the month b4 and after Easter I stocked up on Easter eggs and was eating between 1 and 2 a day ! That and carrot cake I would love to get rid of my sweet tooth as I hate the way I look now and would love to fit into my wardrobe again .:sad:

Replies

• CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Hello! Since you used "stone" instead of "pounds" I don't know if this advice will help, but my sweet tooth has been quite satisfied with "Skinny Cow" chocolates and ice cream products.. Hopefully it's available in your region of the world as well. Also, Weight Watchers (although somewhat expensive) have some nice sweet alternatives.

Is the carrot cake something you made yourself? If so, maybe using Splenda, Truvia, or the like would help keep the calorie count down for you.

For the cigarette alternative, I always keep several packs of sugar-free gum at hand. I try to reach for that instead of the evilness of tobacco. Not that it works all the time, but it's an attempt at least. Maybe you could try reaching for that when the cravings get too intense?

Good luck and don't give up. There are always alternatives other than the true sweets. It just takes time and re-training. :flowerforyou:
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Hi there and welcome to MFP! What has helped me over the past couple of years was to switch my diet to less carbohydrates in general AND increase both my FATS and PROTEINS. That seems to satisfy the general need to eat sweets as in the long run fats and protein satisfy. I actually began eating a modified paleo diet that some folks call "primal". Simply put its really just about eating fresh and naturally, without all the processed foods we have all grown accustomed too.

Anyway you eat though, try to cut back on processed foods, eat more fats and hopefully this will satisfy you so the sugar devils will leave you be!

When I really do have sugar and chocolate cravings, I tend to mix up a homemade treat like dark chocolate & almond butter. Then freeze it. Thaw just a little and eat like a Bon Bon. Putting a fruit spread on a rice cracker is filling and sweet too.

Hope this can help, best of luck to you!
  • teresabice
    teresabice Posts: 11 Member
    I have a sweet tooth too. I have been able to train myself to realize it is okay to eat an indulgence each day as long as the rest of my diet allows for it. This app helps to figure out how many calories you can afford to do that with. OR if you are really wanting something extra, walk for it if you are physically able to. I was on weight watchers for 6 months and there are low calorie desserts you can make as well. One example is mix a box of angelfood cake with a can of low cal pie topping no other ingredients bake it for the recommended amount of time. It is a denser cake, but healthier. Change it up though feel adventurous. Other options are get a box of cake mix and mix a can of diet soda with it no other ingredients and bake by the recommended box times...Just a couple possibilities...but I think the easiest way I broke my habit was fruit. When my fiance and I started on weight watchers we ate a lot of apples and bananas, but find what works best for you and good luck :smile:
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Hello I stopped smoking at xmas and have put on 1 and a 1/2 stone . My problem is my sweet tooth can anyone help me with low calorie treats please . For the month b4 and after Easter I stocked up on Easter eggs and was eating between 1 and 2 a day ! That and carrot cake I would love to get rid of my sweet tooth as I hate the way I look now and would love to fit into my wardrobe again .:sad:

I'm 54, and live in Arizona. I need to stop the sugary treats too, let's motivate each other!! Send me a friend request if you want! Kama
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Hi! I'll be 50 this month and I also gained weight when I quit smoking. Congrats on that, BTW! Seldon get a sweet tooth but when I do, I enjoy sugar free pudding.