Slim fast, celebrity slim, Atkins shakes, herbalife??

Options
Hi all,

I've toyed with this idea for a while now and heard different things about them!

So have any of you tried or are using any of these shakes at the moment and if you are how are you finding it?

Would love to hear your views x

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Your wallet will be very light.
  • laurajhen
    laurajhen Posts: 22
    Options
    Hmm that's one down side to it. I know that slim fast is probably the cheapest.
  • samanthaspears
    samanthaspears Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I drink one regular Slimfast and one Slimfast High Protein shake most days. (Two high proteins upsets my stomach too much), and it has worked for me. I do it mostly to ensure that I actually eat something - my job often prevents me from getting a sit-down lunch. No one bats an eye if I chug a shake in a meeting.

I have friends who can't do it because they need to eat something - I function just fine on a mostly liquid diet.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat actual food :)
    I don't even do smoothies because I'm not satisfied by just drinking something. I guess my brain doesn't really register that I've had a meal unless I chew so I know I would be miserable trying to do the whole "meal replacement shake" thing. Give me a real meal!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hmm that's one down side to it. I know that slim fast is probably the cheapest.
    even cheaper is a balanced diet that you can sustain for the rest of your life
  • BeckyJo19
    BeckyJo19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Currently I drink a Slim Fast Shake for breakfast. I think they're great and I'm not hungry an hour later.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have tried them yes in the first week you lose weight but then its almost at stopping loseing weight I tried it for 3 months then I tried USN nice and very very tasty but have to say its just like a milkshake ao dont wast your money on them just eat and watch what you eat
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Unless you intend to drink them for the rest of your life, I suggest you don't bother at all. Losing weight by drinking shakes is not teaching you anything about healthy eating and how to keep the weight off after you've lost it. I suggest you educate yourself instead. Here is some great info for starting out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

I recommend eating healthy foods at a deficit, exercise, hydration and proper rest.

Good luck to you on achieving your goals and I hope you figure it all out sooner rather than later.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I admit that I will do a smoothie for breakfast during the week to save time. But I use Rockin' Wellness. It is full of healthy stuff and I mix one scoop with vanilla Sun Warrior, a handful of spinach, frozen strawberries and almond milk. Fills me up for a good four hours and I love the taste. Also, I am not so delusional to think that it is some magic weight loss aid.
  • laurajhen
    Options
    Thanks all for your views so far. Obviously a lot of different opinions on them! I know it wouldn't be a long term thing and if I did do it then I would prob just have one at lunch when I sometimes struggle to find time to make anything and don't want to snack.
  • laurajhen
    Options
    Smoothies sound like a good option as they are quick and easy to make up.
  • MEZAE
    MEZAE Posts: 19
    Options
    I tried slim fast twice & both times it made me hungrier.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    They're all just junk marketed as health food. You can find protein powders and smoothy recipes to make yourself for so much cheaper and healthier.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    Also, some of the protein powders cost less than the premade shakes.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    They're complete garbage.

1) They're unhealthy. Full of sugar and chemicals and just gross stuff.

2) You have to stop drinking them eventually, and when you do you'll gain all of the weight back OR you'll keep it off by eating healthy. Which you could just start doing now and save your money.

3) Expensive!

I can't even replace meals with smoothies. The sugar content has me starving in ~ an hour and then I end up having a second breakfast.
  • teresabice
    teresabice Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They mostly contain artificial sweeteners as well. There have been soo many articles written on the adverse effects that artificial sweeteners have on weight loss. Kind of like drinking diet soda. I'm still guilty of it, but I really do try to be as organic as I can to my body. The diet shakes do contain a big pack of nutrients along with it...but just be careful with them...My experience is that it is better to use a more natural method to weight loss. Sometimes this just means getting into a healthier routine...if you do use the shakes though just do them intermittently. Maybe a week here or there...Just my thoughts...