Weight Watchers?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone goes to Weight Watchers meetings, but uses MFP for tracking?

Replies

• Dyslexicon
    Options
    I do weight watchers online, I've been thinking about checking a meeting out but I think I lack the social skills :) I started tracking with MFP too because I was curious how the points/calories lined up.
  • myfitnesstracker1
    Options
    I wonder how you find WW online versus MFP Dyslexicon?

I've found that WW is really well rounded, in that it includes the healthy habits like fruits, veggies and water. Also WW addresses the behavioral issues for weight loss success. But I really love the MFP tracker as it's easy and fun to use. I love that I can look up any food, even brand names, or just add it myself. Plus, with MFP I can see the calories, vitamins and macronutrients too. I'm thinking why not get the best of both worlds, since tracking is tracking, whether points or calories.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You might want to search out the thread from a few weeks ago that provided a method of tracking both WW and MFP at the same time without having to enter in both apps. (Disclaimer: I have not tried it!) I have been doing WW meetings since the end of February. I double tracked for a few months but now track only in etools. I still log my weight in MFP and will occaisionally track in MFP when my points totals are adjusted so I can still track calories, etc associated with the new point limits. Good luck :).
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ive used WW several times in the past, I still love it! But this time I just didnt want to pay for it anymore. Plus, I like the "community" feel that MFP has to it that WW (online, at least) lacks.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have never attended a WW meeting or even joined online. However, I have learned about the WW program in detail and then followed the plan on my own. It worked well in terms of reasonable weight loss and proper nutrition. I eventually found my way over here when looking for calorie information I was having trouble finding elsewhere. I then discovered the Food Diary function and figured it would be a much faster way of tracking my intake. It was only a few days before I realized that I could simply track calories (and macros) here and not bother with WW's ever-changing formulas. For me, I like this better because I can integrate it into daily life with a minimum of effort. Thus, it's something I can do indefinitely, even when maintaining.

However, if you want the personal encouragement of meeting with others, weekly weigh-ins, etc., then I see no reason why there would be any problem doing both. I have a friend who lost about 200 pounds attneding TOPS meetings, which I believe are free (or very low cost). That might be another possibility.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I found myself discouraged when using them in tandem. I would be hitting my points numbers in WW but be woefully under cals according to MFP standards. The two just didn't mesh well for me and I really didn't like the WW mobile so I canceled my account with them and stuck to MFP.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    However, if you want the personal encouragement of meeting with others, weekly weigh-ins, etc., then I see no reason why there would be any problem doing both. I have a friend who lost about 200 pounds attneding TOPS meetings, which I believe are free (or very low cost). That might be another possibility.

I used to belong to TOPS a long time ago and lost 70lbs...unless it has changed, you have weigh in's and it is mostly there for support. We did have dues but they were very reasonable. and yearly convention as well...

Good Luck
  • oceanturquesa
    oceanturquesa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member at WW. Over the years my weight has come back. I am now attending WW meetings again, and using mfp.It helps me stay in control. mfp is easy to use and a great sourse of information. Since May 8/13 I am down 8lbs. Thanks to the support of WW and mfp.
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers for 3 years and no success I find MFP to be addicting my friends are the best I love the support!!
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've done WW years ago with 50 lb. weight loss and maintained it for years. After having kids AND WW changing the program, I tried at least 3 more times and did not experience success. I DO think tracking is the key when it comes to diet, and it is free on MFP. MFP also has all or most of the nutritional info, so WW does not have the monopoly on that like they used to. Some people say "but the meetings are what helps". This may help some very much. I enjoyed the first group I attended, but the latter seemed all about how to squeeze in lots of processed foods and stay within points and also selling WW bars, etc.. rather than focusing on healthy changes.
  • myfitnesstracker1
    Options
    Just came home to see all these great posts! Thanks so much for the tips!!!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I found myself discouraged when using them in tandem. I would be hitting my points numbers in WW but be woefully under cals according to MFP standards. The two just didn't mesh well for me and I really didn't like the WW mobile so I canceled my account with them and stuck to MFP.

I found the same same thing. Agree.
  • jen0m
    jen0m Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I've Ben going to Weight Watchers since the end of February but I track on MFP - 33lbs down so it's working for me!
  • ouiouilezizi
    Options
    I've been doing weight watchers online (somewhat inconsistently and in spurts) since August 2011, and am down almost 40 pounds and love it. It's been slow, but those times that I stick to what WW says, I lose (obviously). What I like is that I don't need to worry about fruits and vegetables (even though I know they "count"... It encourages me to eat them instead of swapping them for unhealthier treats with similar calories) and I like the gradual process of limiting calories over time versus all at once.

I'm using MFP again mainly to see how the points equate in terms of calories and to force myself to track twice, hopefully becoming even more aware of my habits and rev up my weight loss for summer. I'm not going to place any stock in my calorie outcome though, and will continue to hit my point target for WW and keep that as my focus. I find that for me, MFP gives super low calorie suggestions. I am currently 5'9" and 206lbs. To lose 2lbs a week I can and should eat above 1200 calories, which is what the site recommends right now... 1200 is way too low for my body.

One benefit of MFP is definitely the community and the layout of the forums. The WW's site is super confusing and their message boards are heavily censored and not user-friendly.