Raina0512
Raina0512 Posts: 216
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Elliptical VS. Treadmill...

What do you recommend??

Replies

• ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Treadmill all the way! I LOVE mine. It is so versitile. you can just walk, or jog, or run, or incline, or run on an incline, owww, my thighs are sore just from talking about running uphill :). Seriously though, The treadmill is the way to go. I never felt like I got a REAL workout from an elliptical.
  • rebel14
    rebel14 Posts: 33
    Both a great way to get exercise, I lean towards the treamill ,
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    My elliptical KICKS *kitten*! :glasses: And now with the incline options (like the treadmills have), and the various workout options...well it is amazing. :bigsmile: The trust is, if $$$ is a factor, treadmills are cheaper. But in the end...you have to mix it up or you will start plateauing, so use it as your standby, whichever way you go...not the main event. :flowerforyou:
  • AlohaAmber
    AlohaAmber Posts: 5 Member
    Cardio definitely helps trim the fat, but to get lean and cut, you'll definitely need to incorporate some sort weight training. I'd recommend circuit training a few days a week to start...
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    I have both available at my gym... Hahah! Maybe a good idea would be 1/2 and 1/2 each day as a workout... ??
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    The answer is at the gym. Just go watch all the overweight women who get on that darn elliptical EVERY DAY. If that isn't enough to tell you it's useless, ask them how many pounds they've lost. My wife used to be all about the elliptical. Then she went to play racquetball with me and 3 minutes in she was about to die. Personally I like getting out and actually doing something, like cross training or sports, but if you have to choose between those two, go treadmill.

edit; No offense to anyone who like the elliptical, and it's great if you have knee issues (my wife does).
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    It depends on your goals. The elliptical did wonderful things for my *kitten* but the treadmill got me really feeling productive as I started doing running intervals. Now I don't use either but I'd say for someone starting out or looking for a high calorie burn, definitely the elliptical. Use the treadmill for building up endurance and starting off running.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    The answer is at the gym. Just go watch all the overweight women who get on that darn elliptical EVERY DAY. If that isn't enough to tell you it's useless, ask them how many pounds they've lost. My wife used to be all about the elliptical. Then she went to play racquetball with me and 3 minutes in she was about to die. Personally I like getting out and actually doing something, like cross training or sports, but if you have to choose between those two, go treadmill.

edit; No offense to anyone who like the elliptical, and it's great if you have knee issues (my wife does).

You can't say the machine is the reason that someone doesn't lose weight. Maybe those women just started working out, or are not eating right. It is an easy machine to start working out on and believe me, if you put effort into it, it gives back. Also easy on the joints as you had mentioned. If you don't find it a challenge, up your resistance. I have been using mine as a staple in my weight loss and I am down 33 pounds in 4 months.
This discussion has been closed.