for fat loss: to exercise or not to exercise???

Options
OK so Im really confused about how exercise helps fat loss. I understand that it helps build muscle (weight training), and can firm u up. I also understand its wonderful for overall health and body function from mood to organ health,e tc. What I am confused about is how exactly does it help with fat loss?

I see no way I could ever do enough cardio to burn enough calories to cause fat loss. Mostly bc cardio requires extra energy ie extra food. I know for me, if I was cutting calories AND doing heavy cardio Id probably pass out, need to eat more, thereby impeding weight loss.

This is the paradox of dieting for me. If Im cutting cals, I have no ability to work out. If I eat more cals, I have plenty of energy to work out but I dont lose weight. SO what am I supposed to do. And how do ppl on here eat 1500 cals and then go kick *kitten* at the gym? KUdos to them but I dont think I could manage.

Replies

• bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    You have to find a healthy balance of deficit and cardio combined with weight training. I am in the same boat as you if I do a lot of cardio I need a significant amount of fuel also, sometimes more than I am doing cardio which cuts into the deficit. The solution that has worked for me is at max 30 mins cardio 4x a week (mostly running and some light relaxing swimming) and weight train 6 days a week along with deficit. 1.5/2 pounds a week average drop, not hit a plateau yet for more than a week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is the paradox of dieting for me. If Im cutting cals, I have no ability to work out. If I eat more cals, I have plenty of energy to work out but I dont lose weight. SO what am I supposed to do. And how do ppl on here eat 1500 cals and then go kick *kitten* at the gym? KUdos to them but I dont think I could manage.

You nut up and do it. I'm probably going to be somewhere around 1500 calories less than my maintenance today. so what. I still kick *kitten* twice as hard half as often. Oh wait.

Scratch that. Kick half the *kitten* two times as normal.

No, no, not quite right.
    Hm.

*kitten* kicked. Still moving. Not hungry.

Carry on!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I totally get what your saying. However, it just works for me and anyone over a period of time. You can't fail to lose weight if you stick to a deficit below your TDEE and get regular exercise. Even a mile a day walking on top of your everyday activities would be enough.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    You have to find a healthy balance of deficit and cardio combined with weight training. I am in the same boat as you if I do a lot of cardio I need a significant amount of fuel also, sometimes more than I am doing cardio which cuts into the deficit. The solution that has worked for me is at max 30 mins cardio 4x a week (mostly running and some light relaxing swimming) and weight train 6 days a week along with deficit. 1.5/2 pounds a week average drop, not hit a plateau yet for more than a week.

thx i like this plan bc its not 90mins of cardio everyday- 30minscardio 4xwk is something I could probably do.
    I know its dif for everyone, but how many cals a day do you lose on? I have a feeling Im eating far too few as my weight loss always always stalls after the first week
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Weight training leads to increase in muscle mass which increases metabolic capacity which allows you to burn more calories per day at rest while eating the same amount which leads to fat loss
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I totally get what your saying. However, it just works for me and anyone over a period of time. You can't fail to lose weight if you stick to a deficit below your TDEE and get regular exercise. Even a mile a day walking on top of your everyday activities would be enough.

how much under tdee? my fitbit says I burn about 1800 cals day? what should I eat. I need to lose 25lbs
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,966 Member
    Options
    It's 100% true that you CANNOT "out-train" a bad diet! So, heavy lifting will transform SHAPE, but being in a caloric deficit will remove your BODY FAT. Don't ever confuse the two - because they are NOT the same thing.

Heavy Lifting for SHAPE
    Caloric Deficit for BODY FAT LOSS

That is all.