Today I joined the darkside...

Options
...And became one of those obnoxious people who talk on their cell phones while doing cardio at the gym. After a decade of gym membership and 8 months of consistent weekly gym attendance (as of late), I swallowed my dignity and joined the masses of disrespectful punks who refuse to end their conversation just because they happen to be at the gym to work out.

And let me tell you... it was awesome! It was super productive, I got some needed cardio while getting an extended phone conversation taken care of at the same time. The discussion was a much better distraction from "the burn" than putting on the headphones or watching the silly television monitors above me.

I was one of those prudes who was all like, "how rude, omg I can't believe those people," but y'know what? I never knew how much that elliptical time flies. Now obviously it'd be different if I was jogging, but this was more of a moderately paced elliptical thing so it was fine. All I'd say to those who are so irritated by the cell phone people would be to try it once and maybe you'll be a little more accepting given it's effectiveness at making a normally tedious mundane experience more palatable.

I don't plan on doing it again, at least not intentionally, but if I get a call while I'm in the locker room getting ready to go out there, I'll take it.

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Our gym does not allow cell phone usage ANYWHERE except the lobby before you check in. Thank God! I would strangle someone!!!! (We can't use them in the locker room either because fear over cameras in the phone. )

Come back to the light!!!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, hopefully you don't belong to my gym because you are rude and it distracts others from also getting a good workout to listen to you obnoxious people who can't stand to be disconnected for 30 minutes or so from the rest of the world. If you want to be rude buy yourself some gym equipment for home and do your lame yacking there.........so disrespectful of you.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    It's like people at the grocery store, checkouts or restaurants...people are so loud on their cellphones...totally ruin a good dining experience
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well thank goodness there's at least one other person out there who doesn't think it's the end of the world if someone is having a conversation on the cell phone in public!

Not belonging to a gym, I've never used one there. But I would if I wanted.

If only the rest of the world could get over themselves.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've never done this while working out, but I don't see what the big deal is. If you aren't talking loud, and having a normal conversation, I don't see why it should bug other people. I don't think I would be able to have an extended conversation, even on the elliptical though. I have had to stop the treadmill during a workout to take a phone call---but after the call, went right back to my run. Multitasking is great---and hopefully it made your day go smoother!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic! Good for you we all have lives that can make it hard to juggle in our excercise and we have to do what ever it takes to get the job done! For those of us who have busy family lives and work lives it allows us the freedom to get a workout done and not loose touch. Also, as I told my rude MIL it is no different that talking to a friend I took to the gym with me. Think about it have you ever heard of a gym with a "no talking" rule I should hope not how horrible!!!
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    I dont have a huge problem with it as long as you are still actively using the equipment while having your conversation, what kills me and makes me SOO mad are those that will sit on a weight machine not working out just talking on the phone, ive been very tempted to go knock the phone out of their rude hands...what about those of us that actually want to work out and use that machine?
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep going that's OK with me. I've got my iPod, what do I care????

Now PERFUME, THAT is rude. Bleah.
  • Nina74
    Options
    I've never done this while working out, but I don't see what the big deal is. If you aren't talking loud, and having a normal conversation, I don't see why it should bug other people. I don't think I would be able to have an extended conversation, even on the elliptical though. I have had to stop the treadmill during a workout to take a phone call---but after the call, went right back to my run. Multitasking is great---and hopefully it made your day go smoother!

People vastly underestimate how loud they actually are while talking on the phone, especially over a machine. After having ridden the subway to work and had to listen to people's constant conversations about the most ridiculous aspects of someone's life (Even with my ipod on, turned up, people are loud!), then at work there are constant phone calls, I can't walk a block without listening to someone's conversation, go to lunch, ditto on the mobile phone conversations, then get back on the subway to go to the gym. By that time, I want that time to not have to listen to everyone else. At our gym there was ONCE one woman on the phone on a treadmill and she was a lot louder than she thought. People were immediately all over it! Ipod or not, have some respect for other people. SOOOO glad my gym has a rule against this.
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha. :laugh: At least it was productive. :wink:
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! I don't think you are rude and glad you enjoyed your workout.
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are rude either, if it made the time pass quickly. good for you
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

People vastly underestimate how loud they actually are while talking on the phone, especially over a machine. After having ridden the subway to work and had to listen to people's constant conversations about the most ridiculous aspects of someone's life (Even with my ipod on, turned up, people are loud!), then at work there are constant phone calls, I can't walk a block without listening to someone's conversation, go to lunch, ditto on the mobile phone conversations, then get back on the subway to go to the gym. By that time, I want that time to not have to listen to everyone else. At our gym there was ONCE one woman on the phone on a treadmill and she was a lot louder than she thought. People were immediately all over it! Ipod or not, have some respect for other people. SOOOO glad my gym has a rule against this.

I don't talk at the gym - for one, I'm breathing heavy and would sound like a perv on a phone call - and two, I usually don't use cardio bunny equipment at the gym for my workout, and talking while lifting isn't exactly a good idea.

However, due to my job, have to answer my phone whilst riding on the train (never on the quiet car, though) or subway. In most cases, I try to keep communications through emails only, but I can't predict when a customer or colleague will call when I'm traveling. So yes, while it can be very rude to listen to someone talking about their herpes outbreak on the subway, or whatever the hell it is kids talk about these days, there's quite a difference between lumping that and polite, short business conversation into the same category.

When you're required to have a mobile office, chances are you may change some of your viewpoints about "appropriate" times to answer a cell phone.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, hopefully you don't belong to my gym because you are rude and it distracts others from also getting a good workout to listen to you obnoxious people who can't stand to be disconnected for 30 minutes or so from the rest of the world. If you want to be rude buy yourself some gym equipment for home and do your lame yacking there.........so disrespectful of you.

Woaah, I think that this is a little overboard. How is someone talking on the phone any different than the music playing or gym members having a conversation to one another on the machine next to you?

Bring music if these things are 'distracting' to you. I just pop in my music and away I go. The only noise I hear is me working out to the beat of my music.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm working too hard during my cardio workouts to be talking on a cell phone. If I owned a gym cell phones would be strictly prohibited.
  • Nich0le
    Options

Woaah, I think that this is a little overboard. How is someone talking on the phone any different than the music playing or gym members having a conversation to one another on the machine next to you?

Bring music if these things are 'distracting' to you. I just pop in my music and away I go. The only noise I hear is me working out to the beat of my music.

I do listen to music, the problem with annoying cell phone talkers is they talk loud to begin with, then you put them on a noisy piece of equipment and if they actually are working our they don't realize how loud they are talking. I' m for everyone being able to go the gym and get a productive workout and people who are incapable of being disconnected for a few minutes ARE rude and just like when they are driving they are distracted and like other posters said, they a good majority get on a piece of equipment and sit while they are finishing or worse yet continuing a conversation. It's simple manners and courtesy to those around you. You know it wouldn't kill people to put leave their cells in the car for their workout, if you are just that lonely or feel that "important" that you can't be disconnected for a workout you should have the manners to either workout at home or don't get on the gym floor until you have finished your conversation IN THE LOCKER ROOM!

OH, and I'm with the guy about the perfume too, no one needs perfume on a daily basis and especially at the gym.

And ShaneT99 has it right, you should be making such good use out of your limited time that you should be working too hard to be talking on a cell phone!
  • Nich0le
    Options
    Just as a side note, I go to the gym twice a day and do my hardest workout in the morning because I have found that people in the morning are there with purpose and I have yet to see a single person on a cell phone but when I go with my kids at night it's a totally different ball game. There is one runner who I noticed texts while running so whatever, I'm just surprised she hasn't fallen and then there are a variety of loud cell phone talkers all of who get looks and two that have been asked by employees to lower the volume of their conversation. I'm not against talking to someone while working out but they are right when they say keep the volume down.

May I suggest that the cell phone users think of something besides the TV to listen to while working out as well, you might be surprised how a variety of music or podcasts can not only make your workout go by faster but increase your cardio pace, since the whole point is to exercise your heart and other muscles!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i personally wouldn't call you rude... i BLAST my speakers and wouldn't be able to hear you... i only blast my headphones because i don't want to hear the tv... but how the heck are you working out and talking? lol... i'd be so out of breath and huffin' and puffin' lol
  • Nina74
    Options

I don't talk at the gym - for one, I'm breathing heavy and would sound like a perv on a phone call - and two, I usually don't use cardio bunny equipment at the gym for my workout, and talking while lifting isn't exactly a good idea.

However, due to my job, have to answer my phone whilst riding on the train (never on the quiet car, though) or subway. In most cases, I try to keep communications through emails only, but I can't predict when a customer or colleague will call when I'm traveling. So yes, while it can be very rude to listen to someone talking about their herpes outbreak on the subway, or whatever the hell it is kids talk about these days, there's quite a difference between lumping that and polite, short business conversation into the same category.

When you're required to have a mobile office, chances are you may change some of your viewpoints about "appropriate" times to answer a cell phone.

Barney- I agree there are times and reasons to take calls. I wasn't trying to blanket statement everything. I don't use the "bunny cardio equipment" either, as I'm usually in spin class, lifting weights or doing other activities/working/focusing too hard on what I'm doing.

We have a mobile office and I have had to answer the phone while in the ladies room (yeah how's that for TMI!). So by the time I get to the gym, it is "ME" time when I can actually shut my phone off/not answer it. Perhaps you can come to Boston and suggest a quiet car on the subway to the MBTA? In the meantime, unless I can afford the $40/day to park downtown, I will be sardined in with the others on the T and iforced to listen to their conversations about their lives and their every minutae (yes, "herpes outbreak" LOL type calls). I will just turn my ipod up even louder and hope deafness sets in earlier in life.
  • Nich0le
    Options
    Nina, sorry you have to hear about herpes outbreaks :laugh: :laugh:

Barney, I agree I would think that using the cell while working out would make anyone sound pervy....lol