flat feet and exercise

Options
hey all, i have super flat feet and the pain has only gotten worse since my wieght gain. I have custom orthotics and got fitted for shoes but my legs are still achy from walking around the mall a few days ago. Sucks because i love walking and its a good way to ease myself back into working out. What do you guys suggest

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet as well. I have insoles for my sneakers, it helps relieve the pain in my foot and legs. I got them from Foot Locker, but your doctor may have similar products that could benefit you.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try insoles, then focus on activities like elliptical, swimming, bicycle.....anything that doesn't require feet pounding on ground
  • CurvyAnn
    CurvyAnn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have flat feet and the pain as I walk is awful. I keep telling myself no pain, no gain but for how long? I really want to lose weight and I really need to move around, as I sit at a desk all day, then in a car on way home in the evening. I too have special insoles for my shoes and trainers for support, but I still feel pain.

Is there an effective alternative to walking because I have alot of fat to get rid of?
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Back in the '60's our pediatrician had us picking up marbles with our toes to prevent flat feet. I wonder if this would help any of you?? It was a 3 lb coffee that was about half full of marbles. The marbles were picked up off the floor with the 4 smaller toes and placed in the can.
  • Maine2
    Maine2 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a couple of friends on the board that swim in the warm weather. It really makes a difference, and their calorie burned number is usually high. I hope you have access to a pool. I understand the foot pain, but I have incredibly high arches and instep. I have orthotics as well, so I guess the only people that can exercise on their feet are people with perfect feet :) Good luck and remember, you are not alone.
  • mwestmount
    mwestmount Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems...I suggest swimming and/or aerobic exercise in the pool.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of exercises you need to do. Once you strengthen the over 100 muscles and tendons in your foot, the arch will naturally be strong, and you wont need arch supports anymore. they are a crutch, that weaken muscles even more than shoes do.
    someone mentioned picking up marbles, and moving them, that is perfect to start!

when home you should be barefooted. twice a day do these exercises:
    copied from mark's daily apple website:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/#axzz2XLUKFUF4

A Few Simple Exercises to Strengthen Your Feet

Do toe spreads. Sit, stand, or lie down and fan your toes out as widely as possible. Create space between each toe. Hold this position for ten seconds, and repeat the exercise ten times daily per foot.

Point at things with your toes. Pick something, anything, in the room and point your toes at it. Now flex your foot. Hold it for five seconds, then release. Again, do this ten times per foot each day. For extra work, try tracing the alphabet with your feet in midair each day.

Get on your toes. Stand on your tippy-toes and just walk around for five minutes each day. Never let your heels touch the ground for the duration. Barefoot toe treadmill work is a worthy alternative.

Try side walking. Stand up (barefoot, of course) and get in a shoulder wide stance. Bend your knees slightly and roll onto the outer edges of your feet. Keep the weight on your outer feet and slowly raise up on your toes. You should feel your longitudinal arch stretching; once you do, hold that position for five seconds. Repeat five times each day.

Walk in sand. Sand is never the same. If you kick off your shoes and hit the grains (yeah, I just coined that phrase: “hit the grains”), you will be catapulting your virgin bare feet into a chaotic, ever-changing environment that will force them to adapt. Hyperbole aside, walking barefoot in the sand is a highly effective way to strengthen your feet.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/#ixzz2XT1pwMNx
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have fallen arches. the pain is excruciating, 24-7.
    i also have heal spurs, under both feet.

the exercises i mentioned, plus stretching help so much, and will eventually cure me.
    i have custom orthodics, and they make it worse!!
    i took off my shoes, and started the exercises, and wow!! amazing results!!!

Good luck in whatever path you choose with your feet.
    i just wanted to share mine. :-)
  • healthyfeet
    Options
    Flat feet ,fallen arches, pronation are caused by weak atrophied foot muscles. Orthotics (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/orthotic ) are a brace designed to permanently immobilize the atrophied foot and fitted shoes are full of devices to accommodate your dysfunctional feet. Mark and Bruced are 100% correct with their recommendations. If you include your 100 tendon, muscle and bone appendage in your daily exercise routine the rest of your body will thank you. You can continue to strengthen you feet with every step if you wear the Barefoot Science proprioceptive strengthening insole. To understand proprioception you only need to run a pencil along your foot or hand and then repeat the test with a piece of paper over the hand or foot. You will experience a 50% drop in sensation or proprioceptive feedback. There are more proprioceptors in your foot than in any other part of your body that are responsible for sending signals to the brain to fire your gait and balance related muscles based on the your needs. Move to a shoe that is flat and flexible. The more restriction that you put on that incredibly engineered foot the less functional it will become over time. Simple!
    http://www.barefoot-science.com/proof/study/proprioception