body fat percentage

Is 23.0 percent good?

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Is 23.0 percent good?

I believe that's considered fit (less than the average female).
  • Hi Tammy, I had a personal training session with my gym instructor and he told me three days ago that the average body fat for an adult should be between 20 and 30 so you are doing great! Well done! Mine is very high for my young age!
  • TammyVieu
    TammyVieu Posts: 121 Member
    Just curious, some of the goal percentages people post on here seem very low. I am 35 weight 111 and height 5'3. I could not imagine getting thin enough to be at 12 percent.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    Is 23.0 percent good?

It's better than my 26.8 percent, so I'd say yes! :laugh:
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    My wife is 58, 5'4" 124 lbs with our Tanita scale reporting a BF of 27.5%.

If she could get down to 23% she would be ecstatic.

12% is very low for a female. That would be close to borderline unhealthy.

Heck, that's getting down there for a guy. I'd be thrilled to be at 12%.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    For your age, 23% is bang in the middle of the "Ideal" range, so well done :)

What's more, from 36-40, the range goes up a notch, so 25% would be in the middle of the ideal range for you from next year and your current 23% would be near the bottom of the "Ideal" range, heading towards "Lean".

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg
  • BONOBO249
    BONOBO249 Posts: 4
    "Ideal" body fat varies with age and gender.. so there isn't a simple answer.. just guidelines. women tend to be more curvy and therefore have bigger hips and bust then Men..I currently have a BMI of 35.5 and am considered to be moderately obese. but that being said the height to weight charts would have me shooting at a "ideal" weight of 180 lbs. so just use it as a guide.. 24 would be a good number check with your Doctor .. see what he/she says and good luck jim
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    The chart below from the American Council on Exercise (ACE) is one of the most commonly used body fat charts.

NUvU3nO.jpg
  • I thinkk 23% BF. for a woman is perfect!
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Awesome, you're smack dab in the middle of a healthy BMI, not too close to overweight or underweight, perfect!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    It really depends on a number of things. Your sex, of course. Your age. Those are the two most important things. What's good for a person of twenty and a person of sixty are two different things. I'm 20 percent, which puts me in the athlete class. But I'm 69 years old.

I'm guessing your body fat is good. But you need to provide more information.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If you feel good about the way you look, it's great!

Also, body fat percentages can be off by a lot, depending on how people calculate.