Biggest challenge with 30 day shred...

Options
mrsriisky
mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
Today, I completed my 7th day of 30DS and am feeling great about how much I see my strength and endurance improving! I am, however, embarassed to admit my most dreaded part of the workout now- the cooldown! I am so inflexible that sitting in even the most small, modified splits position for stretches (we're talking less than 45 degrees here, people!), my knees bend and I feel extremely uncomfortable. Then, we move into the standing up leg stretches and I am hopping around on one foot!

Does anyone else have a lot of trouble with balance and flexibility? I didn't realize how little I had of either until I realized that I can barely get through a "cool down" without straining myself or almost falling on my butt. I'm thinking I might try yoga to help with this- yay or nay? Any other suggestions?

Replies

• mrsriisky
    Options
    bump
  • Cilla001
    Cilla001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I stand a hold onto something with my free hand to get my balance and position myself correctly. Unfortunately, I've not tried yoga but I heard it's great. Give it a try, it wouldn't hurt.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't have much coordination or flexibility but I found yoga A LOT harder than the cool down on 30 Day Shred!
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    I don't have much coordination or flexibility but I found yoga A LOT harder than the cool down on 30 Day Shred!

Oh, I'm sure it is! I was thinking about doing a super beginner course to work on flexibility- I did a really, really beginner course years ago and I think it helped back then.
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I've taken 3 different series of beginner's yoga over the years. I'm starting a new one this Saturday. Mainly, I'm doing it just to see if I like the studio and the atmosphere. If I like it, then I'll probably go once a week. I'm not sure about yoga helping with flexibility or coordination. However, I do feel like the more I stretch during the day, the more flexible I become. What I mean is, I don't just stretch pre- and post- workout. I stretch when I get out of bed, when I get to work, around lunchtime, mid-afternoon, and when I get home. This is mainly because I have a super long commute and I started having lower back pain about 6 months ago from bad posture and the stupid bucket seats in my car. Anyway, the lower back pain went away after a couple weeks of regular stretching and realized I had become a lot more flexible too. Balance is still an issue though. I will hold on to a table or a chair sometimes, so I don't lose the position. I think it takes practice and a little patience.
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OH I forgot to mention. The reason I do yoga is for stress management.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    For me it was the pain in my calves from all the jumping and such, but by the time I got even half way thru it that was much much better and I felt alot stronger in my upper body and I will admit although I didn't really lose alot of weight with that one, I did lose quite a few inches and it made it way easier for me to do tougher workouts after that cuz I had gained quite a bit of muscle with it.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I can't do the splits either lol. Day 18 for me and I can tell you I still wasn't in the splits lol. I actually can't even do the stretch where you reach your hands back and stretch out the arms and chest. Well I CAN do the stretch if I am standing or sitting with legs out, or sitting with legs crossed, or basically anything other than a splits position :P
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Today, I completed my 7th day of 30DS and am feeling great about how much I see my strength and endurance improving! I am, however, embarassed to admit my most dreaded part of the workout now- the cooldown! I am so inflexible that sitting in even the most small, modified splits position for stretches (we're talking less than 45 degrees here, people!), my knees bend and I feel extremely uncomfortable. Then, we move into the standing up leg stretches and I am hopping around on one foot!

Does anyone else have a lot of trouble with balance and flexibility? I didn't realize how little I had of either until I realized that I can barely get through a "cool down" without straining myself or almost falling on my butt. I'm thinking I might try yoga to help with this- yay or nay? Any other suggestions?

I definitely had this problem when I first tried Insanity (he has you do yoga poses for the cool down). It hurt like hell just to try to touch my feet. You have to stretch daily on your own a few times a week. I try to just reach down to my toes, sit on the floor and spread my legs as far as they will go, and do lunges and lean all the way forward. Basically really stretch your groin, hip flexors, and legs and you will be able to do those moves with no pain.
  • mrsriisky
    Options

I definitely had this problem when I first tried Insanity (he has you do yoga poses for the cool down). It hurt like hell just to try to touch my feet. You have to stretch daily on your own a few times a week. I try to just reach down to my toes, sit on the floor and spread my legs as far as they will go, and do lunges and lean all the way forward. Basically really stretch your groin, hip flexors, and legs and you will be able to do those moves with no pain.

Thanks! I think I'll try to work in at least 10 minutes of stretching a day when I watch a show with my husband before bed, and see where that takes me!