Couch to 5k

Options
So, I hit the 20 mark 8 months ago (eek!) and realised, despite having always being really involved in sports during school; horse riding, taekwondo, netball, regional hockey, womens rugby which I also joined at uni..I'm in the worst shape of my life, which is doubly depressing since this time last year I'd never been in better shape! Buut, a year of no exercise, bad food choices, sitting on my butt doing coursework..basically a year of excuses and here I am
Of course, my biggest excuse has always been my underactive thyroid -_-

But, just started the couch to 5k today, was shocking, had to miss the 5th and 6th running sessions and just keep walking, but I LOVED exercising again!
Is anyone else doing/starting the c25k?? How have you found it??

(Btw, this is my first time on one of these sites..I always avoid commenting in forums, but what the hey, hopefully there'll be someone out there in the same boat who might offer some support to an unfit stranger! :P)

I should mention, my biggest falldown is trying to do things on my own..and then getting burnt-out, or demotivated and having nobody there to keep pushing me :)

Replies

• EHAMum
    EHAMum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi PeeWee,
    I think couch to 5k is really great! In fact I think it is essential if you want to get fit again.

I started it a while ago on the recommendation of my cousin. She used it (plus a lot of food limitation) to lose a large amount of post-pregnancy weight.
    I have started and then stopped and then started etc using C25k for over a year!

This morning I started C25k again. I think I did W3D2. I started there because I have done the beginning of C25k so many times that I know it is the right starting point for me. It was tough - and I had to do it with my 3 year old in the pram, but I know it will get easier if I actually use C25k regularly.
    The key is to have the days off - so Run, not run, Run, not run, Run, 2 x not run.

This avoids injury and if you find the jump from 1 week to the next to be too hard, don't be afraid to repeat a week. This will give your body time to get fitter and stronger.

I was very sporty as a child - represented the state in long distance running. I think I overdid the training because I became totally sedentary at university and have been largely sedentary for about 20 years. I am now a few months off 40.

Last year after doing C25k regularly I actually felt free and strong when running as opposed to tired and sore. That fitness level left me once I was overcome with children and school holidays.

Like you, I try and do things on my own. Some success - a lot of failure. I don't post much of forums either.
    If you would like we could form a C25k motivational check in group! I am next due to do C25k on Saturday, which will be a challenge as my husband will have to look after all the kids as opposed to sleeping in.

Hope that helps,
    EHAmum
  • EHAMum
    EHAMum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Will join there.