Gastric Sleeve???

Options
I have a very good friend that is about 5’7 and 260lbs. I have been trying to get him on MFP and he keeps saying that he is going to get a Gastric Sleeve and then he will join. He wants it for two reasons.
1. To lose weight.
2. To change the hormones that cause Type 2 Diabetes. Because the “gene” is in his family
I continually tell him he’s nuts and needs to learn to eat better foods and be more active. But I’m curious if there is any truth to number 2? I for sure can understand losing weight helping to avoid diabetes but changing hormones? Basically he’s saying that losing weight without the surgery won’t help him avoid the disease. Thoughts?

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The only hormone that I know of that the gastric sleeve affects is the hormone that is for appetite regulating .....ghenlin. Don't be deceived though...just because you lose 80% of your stomach it doesnt eliminate that hunger all together... for a year after it's not too bad but realize head hunger is completely different. The gastric sleeve is only a tool and that is to restric the amount of food one is suppose to eat. and i say suppose to because even though you only have 20% of your stomach, that sleeve can pack it it if you eat the wrong foods...hence gaining weight. Changing one's mindset, behaviors, eating regime with the tool of the sleeve is great...it is still hard work... not as some think...that the surgery is the cure all.....it is only a tool.

I have diabetes....some say i am cured....some say i dont have it any more...but as far as i am concerned once a diabetic always a diabetic...it is how u control it...and not you. I was on 170 units a day....600 plus pounds... sept 25th 2009 i started on a 1500 cal diabetic diet. On feb 25th 2011 having lost 170 pounds(i was 430 then) I went on 1200 cal by a surgeons guidlines..and at times on 600-899 cal he put me into their weight loss program...getting ready for surgery...yes the gastric sleeve. I pushed myself with their program fine tuned what i ate..followed their diets and walked....I went totally off insulin mid october.....on dec 6th that year i had the gastric sleeve. i was 238 that morning. I still went ahead with it for i knew it was another tool i could use. IMO the sleeve helps get the weight off....with their diet program n exercise the weight will drop fast. does it alone get rid of diabetes??? imo no...it may help but the work relies on the person n the weight loss and lowering sugar levels helps the diabetes.
    i still have type 2 diabetes...but i control it...it no longer controls me. there is no cure for diabetes....only control.
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    NS BLUE - That is a tremendous success story. Thank you for sharing it.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    nsblue - Nearly 400 pounds?!? That's amazing! Thank you for sharing that with us!

As far as the sleeve goes, I think if it could "cure" diabetes, there would be many people getting it for that reason alone. Diabetes runs heavily in my family (practically 100% chance of me getting it the next 20-30 years or so, overweight or not), and I have, not once, heard of this sleeve doing anything to help. Yes, if you lose weight with it, that will probably reduce your risk. But it's the weight lose that reduces the risk, not the sleeve. Losing weight will also probably make it much more manageable, but again, it's the weight loss, not the sleeve.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Your friend needs a little education.

There are hormones that effect hunger and appetite - but getting a gastric sleeve will not eliminate " a gene that runs in his family ". Its a surgical procedure to be used as a TOOL to weight loss, including diet and exercise.

Gastric sleeves do not prevent diabetes. Diet and exercise do. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    NSBlue your success is commendable. I'm glad that you said it's just a tool and once a diabetic always a diabetic. I think a lot of people get the surgery and dont realize the real work is just ahead of them.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hats off to you nsblue. Yours is one of the biggest losses I have seen. You have done an awesome and amazing job!!! I don't know if I told you that before. But I think you are wonderful!

I have not had surgery, but at my weight I could have chosen that route.

I am a type II, but I am in remission. I agree with the statement once a diabetic, you pretty much always will need to be very careful. I am in remission and I have an A1C of I think it was 5.3 or 5.4 the last it was checked. I do know if I reverted to old ways, it would not doubt return in little time.

Surgery is a tool. A person STILL must change their ways. Many have the surgery and go back to the way they were because they didn't really change.

I love the statement about head hunger. So true. Much of our hunger is that way, and we must learn to conquer that whether you go for surgery or not.

Surgery is not absolutely required to ditch type II. Sure people have, and I absolutely commend them either way. But many people have stopped the progression of the disease by diet and weight loss alone.

It all boils down to the same thing. A major internal shift of the mind and heart. You must change your ways, and start making a lot more healthy choices, and far fewer bad ones.
  • kalolina2
    kalolina2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that had the gastric by pass December 10th 2012 and he has lost 77 lbs already and after two weeks he no longer took shots for diabetis and no more cholesteral pills and no high blood pressure medicine. Before surgery he was taking four shots aday for diabetis and all kinds of medicine and liver was about to shut down. Unbelievable.........And he is still losing.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    Nsblue, awesome job, you are an inspiration!
    OP, this study says that there is a chance that the sleeve may help your friend, but that bypass seems to be more likely to improve type 2 diabetes.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21339423
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have had gastric bypass. 98% of the people who have diabetes and have the bypass are CURED...yes I said cured...of diabetes. I had bypass as compared to the sleeve or band for that very reason. My Hemoglobin A1C before surgery was 7.1 and I took meds twice a day. The day before surgery was the last time I took my meds. Two months post op my Hemoglobin A1C was 5. Normal level!! I do still check my blood sugar from time to time to spot check it.

The sleeve is very new procedure. Not much is known long term and it doesn't have that wonderful side effect of curing diabetes. It is something about re-routing the intestines that do it. The sleeve doesn't do that. The fact that there are no long term studies because it is such a new thing...I didn't want to take that route.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    NSBLUE, you are a true inspiration. I am normally not an advocate for weight loss surgery, but I understand your mindset.

Congratulations on reaching your goals. You are amazing.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
  • mzbz
    mzbz Posts: 1
    Options
    I doubt if it's a "gene" that runs in his family. More likely, it's the hormone called "ghrelin". This hormone makes you hungry and increases as you get hungrier. Once a person eats, it lessens and you feel full and satisfied. It is related to it's counterpart, "leptin". Those who have bariatric surgery (sleeve and Rouen Y gastric surgeries), have a diminishment of this hormone. Instead of it rising and diminishing up to 3 times daily, encouraging people to eat (and overeat), once the surgeries are completed, the hormone, "ghrelin" only is noticed in the morning. Once breakfast is eaten, the hormone does not elevate for the most part in the afternoon and the evening. Of course, there are people who eat compulsively while watching TV, or eat whether they are hungry or not. Bariatric surgery won't help these compulsivities, but one can easily find a good Clinical Psychologist with Bariatric Evalution credentials and you can work on those issues with a therapist. You can learn about it right here: http://www.news-medical.net/health/Ghrelin-What-is-Ghrelin.aspx
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    To those who have not yet had the surgery:

Nearly everyone I know that went that route ended up having WAY more problems with digestion and other health issues than the doctor told them to expect, and most wish they had never gone through with the surgery. Weight loss surgery is a big money maker, and it is in the doctor's best financial interest to downplay the possibility of dangers from the surgery itself, as well as the likelihood of patients having long term complications they might not be willing to endure.

You can read some experiences with complications people had after surgery on this forum:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/48-gastric-sleeve-surgery-vsg-complications-support-group/

Have you tried any eating plans that focus on eating mostly fresh, organic foods? That seems to work well for many people, as the chemicals used to preserve food tends to make some people hold onto weight.