Awesome Summer Salad Recipe (Please excuse the language...)

Options
ashannon22
ashannon22 Posts: 10 Member
Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to share a great summer salad recipe that I've been making quite frequently. It comes courtesy of Thug Kitchen (so please excuse or enjoy the profanity) and the recipe is as follows:

ROASTED STRAWBERRY SALAD

16 medium strawberries, about 1 pound

1 teaspoon olive oil

a pinch of salt

½ cup coconut flakes (you can use sliced almonds to save some cash)

¼ cup lemon juice

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

3 tablespoons olive oil

a big bunch of basil, chopped into thin strips, about 2/3 cup

salt and pepper to taste

1 big head of lettuce (green leaf, spinach, butter, whatthe****ever kind of lettuce is fine)

Warm up your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the green tops off the strawberries and throw that **** out. Slice the berries in half lengthwise. Toss them in a bowl with the teaspoon of olive oil and salt. Mix that **** up good so everything is coated. Put the strawberries cut side down on a cookie sheet. I hate doing dishes so I usually cover the cookie sheet with foil or something because the strawberries can release some juice and it’s annoying as **** to clean. Roast the strawberries for 10 minutes. Throw the coconut flakes in their own section on the cookie sheet and then roast them at the same time for 3 more minutes or until the coconut looks toasted. Let everything cool the **** down to about room temperature.

Mix together the lemon juice, vinegar, and oil in a small glass. Toss the lettuce and the basil in a big bowl and add as much of the dressing, salt, and pepper as you like. Make sure everything is coated and then put the strawberries and coconut flakes on top. Arrange that **** so it looks nice. If you don’t feel like ****ing with the oven then just leave the strawberries raw. I don’t give a **** JUST EAT A ****ING SALAD or 10.

Serve 4 people as a side or 1 jolly green giant

*** A few notes ***

I made this whole recipe and split the recipe in half (ex. I'd made it for dinner, eat half and have the rest for lunch the next day). Also, I only made half the dressing -- tread lightly on it. When I did the recipe in MFP, it came to just under 300 cals/serving with less dressing (and used even less than I reported) and it's fabulous.

Check it out! :)

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that site is frickin' awesome!
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it soon!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    "½ cup coconut flakes (you can use sliced almonds to save some cash)"

....I must live in a different world! The cost of almond where I live is 4 times that of packaged coconut! (um, ignore the fact that I live in Hawaii and can pick coconut up off the beach and shred it.)
    Nonetheless, it sounds like an awesome recipe...thanks!
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    Wishing there was a 'like' or 'thank' button for posts - that was awesome :D
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just found that thug site today too! Great site thanks for sharing
  • 63lab
    63lab Posts: 80
    Options
    bump.thanks.british strawberries will be very good soon.ta.x
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try this...sounds delicious. Thanks
  • twhite4550
    twhite4550 Posts: 25
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing this! :happy:
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    :happy: Sounds good! I love the humorous writing style.
  • Hollypop725
    Options
    I've been following Thug Kitchen for awhile now, he's hilarious and the recipes are actually REALLY good. I've made quite a few of them and they're delicious!
  • gracefika
    gracefika Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I had never heard of thug kitchen before this post! While I'm not necessarily a fan of profanity, i must say I LOVE this website/blog!! The recipes look fantastic and I will admit that his use of profanity made me chuckle...I'm an instant fan!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe if for no other reason than the writing style cracks me up :)

Edit: the site is even better. Just the pics alone made me want one of those peanut tempeh wraps, and I don't even like peanuts or know what tempeh is.