In tears... Need advice!

Options
So I have been trying to lose some of my baby weight for some time, but got really serious for around 2 weeks. Lost 4lbs, which is great. I am still breastfeeding my 6.5 mo, only twice a day though.
To cut long story short, since she's been on 3 meals a day, she doesnt want as much milk. As a result, my milk supply has dropped. So I started taking fenugreek, which is known to increase milk supply.
What I didn't know, unfortunately, is that it causes weight gain.

I GAINED 3 LBS THIS MORNING!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I am so depressed at the moment, I just want to cry.
I did a bit of research, and its definitely fenugreek. It's used in the ME by women who want to gain weight. It can cause as much as 25lbs gain in a couple of months.
I don't know if I should stop taking them, and lose weight, or carry on and give up on weight loss all together. Because there really is no point to exercising and eating really well if I'm going to gain weight . Eating healhy makes me feel good only if I lose weight, and I'd rather eat McDonalds if I'm gonna gain weight anyway :(
Obviously my baby is more important, but maybe I should try different ways to increase my supply :(

Thanks for any advice

Replies

• Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options

“Don’t cry to give up; cry to keep going You already in pain, you already hurt! Get a reward from it!

“To be able at any moment to sacrifice what you are for what you could become.”

“Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute, or an hour, or a day or even a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however it will last forever.”

“At the end of pain is success”

-Eric Thomas-
  • CraftyWeeWifey
    CraftyWeeWifey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For some people they do need to choose between bfing their baby and seriously losing weight. Your milk supply will be affected if you cut down the calories. Would you be happier with a slower weight loss? Even just a pound a week? Have you taken into account breastfeeding into your daily calorie allowance? because you are able to have quite a few more than if not bfing. Maybe just try maintenance calories for a week or two and see if that helps your supply then cut back but not as drastically as before.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Good job on breastfeeding your baby :) I nursed mine until he was two. Exclusively breastfed until he was 6 months, and then we started mashed foods.

Possibly the fenugreek, but please don't worry about your weight now! It could also be water retention, or that time of month or something. It's just 3 pounds, you can make it disappear just as quick!

You could try other alternatives if you're worried about your milk supply, but you don't need to. Babies get finicky about the milk at your child's age, since they get distracted by the world they notice around them now! :) Almonds, barley, anchovies, and garlic all apparently help milk flow, probably give it a try :)
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and my "baby" is 14 now... but couldn't you pump in between breast feedings to keep your supply up? Just like she was still breastfeeding exclusively (or maybe not quite that much).

Good luck!!
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and my "baby" is 14 now... but couldn't you pump in between breast feedings to keep your supply up? Just like she was still breastfeeding exclusively (or maybe not quite that much).

Good luck!!

I second this mama :)
  • MDBKTSmith
    Options
    Hi there,
    As a woman who has fed breastfeed all three of my boys till they were 13 and 16 months....if you want your milk supply to increase then you have to feed your baby more often...your body only makes as much as your baby demands.....make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids (water) to help not only with your weightloss but milk supply as well....you should be eating healthy anyway if your breastfeeding....which also helps with supply...
    Please dont stress out to much about what the scales say...everybody's weight goes up and down frequently...with salt levels, fluid levels etc....just be consisent with your eating and exercising and you will get to where you want to be
    good luck :-)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    For some people they do need to choose between bfing their baby and seriously losing weight. Your milk supply will be affected if you cut down the calories. Would you be happier with a slower weight loss? Even just a pound a week? Have you taken into account breastfeeding into your daily calorie allowance? because you are able to have quite a few more than if not bfing. Maybe just try maintenance calories for a week or two and see if that helps your supply then cut back but not as drastically as before.
    I'd be happy with maintenance for now, but not such a massive weight gain, even on deficit :( I'm now just scared to eat more, what if I gain more because of that?
  • Catrinau
    Catrinau Posts: 3
    Options
    I would recommend you continue eating healthy. Eating healthy isn't just about weight loss, although that is a wonderful perk of it. Eating healthy means you are putting good things into you, so that you will be healthier in the long run. So that you will be a healthy mom to your child. I would never discourage anyone from breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is an awesome and wonderful thing to do for your child. I just hope you can find a way to breastfeed and eat healthy. McDonalds might be faster, easier, and tastier, but it is so full of so many bad things that really do damage your body.
    As I'm typing this, I'm saying this to myself, as well. I have been horrible about eating McDonalds. My mother just had a huge talk with me about how I am slowly killing myself, and how selfish I am being because my kids need me. Man, it really hurt to hear that ... but she was right.

So I would encourage you to find some alternatives to getting your milk supply up, and to keep eating healthy. Even if you have little too no weight loss, the healthy eating is still so important for you.

Have you asked your doctor about prescribing something that might help with your milk supply? I know my ob/gyn gave me something .... reglan??? when I was breastfeeding to help me out. That was 7 years ago, though.

Good luck!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

Sounds like a great idea! Then maybe once you get going with that you will be able to be able to produce enough milk on your own and go off the meds.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

Good luck!!

Sounds like a great idea! Then maybe once you get going with that you will be able to be able to produce enough milk on your own and go off the meds.
    I think I'm going to do that, see if it works. Thanks :)
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek can dry out other mucous membranes so increase your overall fluid intake as well (I took fenugreek and motilium to help with supply, I found teh fenugreek added to constipation in my case)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Because there really is no point to exercising and eating really well if I'm going to gain weight . Eating healhy makes me feel good only if I lose weight, and I'd rather eat McDonalds if I'm gonna gain weight anyway :(

in all honesty, you need to change your mindset first.... you should eat healthy food and exercise for the good of your health, regardless of the weightloss....
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Because there really is no point to exercising and eating really well if I'm going to gain weight . Eating healhy makes me feel good only if I lose weight, and I'd rather eat McDonalds if I'm gonna gain weight anyway :(

in all honesty, you need to change your mindset first.... you should eat healthy food and exercise for the good of your health, regardless of the weightloss....
    You're right. I do feel so much better since eating healthy. I just don't want to lain weight :(
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So I have been trying to lose some of my baby weight for some time, but got really serious for around 2 weeks. Lost 4lbs, which is great. I am still breastfeeding my 6.5 mo, only twice a day though.
    To cut long story short, since she's been on 3 meals a day, she doesnt want as much milk. As a result, my milk supply has dropped. So I started taking fenugreek, which is known to increase milk supply.
    What I didn't know, unfortunately, is that it causes weight gain.

I GAINED 3 LBS THIS MORNING!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I am so depressed at the moment, I just want to cry.
    I did a bit of research, and its definitely fenugreek. It's used in the ME by women who want to gain weight. It can cause as much as 25lbs gain in a couple of months.
    I don't know if I should stop taking them, and lose weight, or carry on and give up on weight loss all together. Because there really is no point to exercising and eating really well if I'm going to gain weight . Eating healhy makes me feel good only if I lose weight, and I'd rather eat McDonalds if I'm gonna gain weight anyway :(
    Obviously my baby is more important, but maybe I should try different ways to increase my supply :(

Thanks for any advice

25 lbs gain??? I really doubt that, I mean how is that possible? I used it when breastfeeding and I was fine.

I think your three lb gain was more likely just a weight fluctuation.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was recommended fenugreek and milkthistle by my midwife to help with milk production. If you are having problems with the fenugreek, maybe try the milkhistle. I took both at the same time so not sure which was better but have to say they worked wonders for me...
  • jodiegarnett
    Options
    I Have breasted my seven children till self weaning, around 2. Still feeding Master 2 now lol. Try a low deficit for now. Too much will effect supply!! I worked out my TDEE, took off the 20% then added back 200 calories for feeding. With a 6 month old I'd add back about 350. And put bub to the breast every few hours to increase supply. If supply doesn't increase, there are medications (mot ilium and maxalon) that can help. Eat healthy, keep the deficit small and it will work out lovey xo
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Eating healhy makes me feel good only if I lose weight

Really? This is a terrible mindset to have. What about when you dont need to lose weight anymore? You not going to eat healthy anymore? Gain all your weight back?

This isn't a temporary change you have to make lifelong changes so you should be eating healthy MOST of the time while allowing yourself some flexibility to eat not so healthy things SOME of the time. It's a balance.

As for the fenugreek, I doubt it can make you gain weight all on it's own. It's likely used as an appetite stimulant, not a magical weight gain herb. If you are tracking your food and your calories, simply adding fenugreek and not eating more isn't going to cause you to gain weight.

It has ONLY been 2 weeks and you you can easily fluctuate upwards of 5lbs in water weight. This is a slow process so stop freaking out, stick the course and see where you are in 3 months.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    As a woman who has fed breastfeed all three of my boys till they were 13 and 16 months....if you want your milk supply to increase then you have to feed your baby more often...your body only makes as much as your baby demands.....make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids (water) to help not only with your weightloss but milk supply as well....you should be eating healthy anyway if your breastfeeding....which also helps with supply...
    Please dont stress out to much about what the scales say...everybody's weight goes up and down frequently...with salt levels, fluid levels etc....just be consisent with your eating and exercising and you will get to where you want to be

I second this. I breast fed my four children - we didn't have a bottle in the house. If your baby is taking less milk you will produce less, it's a "supply and demand" set-up. You don't need to take any steps to increase your milk production, if for any reason your baby decides to take more milk (perhaps a bit under the weather, or feeling cranky) you'll make more really quickly in response.

Having more milk than your baby needs is unnecessary and can be painful. One of mine (at 8 months) woke up one morning and refused to take another drop - we went from 6 feeds a day to none at all. She was fine, I had "an embarrassment" of milk & had to express for a few days to reduce the pain and swelling!

The whole breast-feeding system is a beautifully set up loop that doesn't need any tinkering with once it's established, and by six months, it's WELL established. :-)

You're doing great! Please don't get stressed about it, you don't need to do anything except eat healthily, drink plenty and plug that baby in when he/she wants to.
  • wendy275a
    wendy275a Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    keep at it! you have done great feeding your little one and that alone regardless of your weight is something to smile about!!
    just think if you take the pills and eat healthy you definitely wont gain as much as you would if you ate rubbish all the time! stick too it and when your baby is not feeding anymore you will have a head start as you didn't eat bad and put extra on!! xx
  • hadiolar
    hadiolar Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I second this. I breast fed my four children - we didn't have a bottle in the house. If your baby is taking less milk you will produce less, it's a "supply and demand" set-up. You don't need to take any steps to increase your milk production, if for any reason your baby decides to take more milk (perhaps a bit under the weather, or feeling cranky) you'll make more really quickly in response.

Having more milk than your baby needs is unnecessary and can be painful. One of mine (at 8 months) woke up one morning and refused to take another drop - we went from 6 feeds a day to none at all. She was fine, I had "an embarrassment" of milk & had to express for a few days to reduce the pain and swelling!

The whole breast-feeding system is a beautifully set up loop that doesn't need any tinkering with once it's established, and by six months, it's WELL established. :-)

You're doing great! Please don't get stressed about it, you don't need to do anything except eat healthily, drink plenty and plug that baby in when he/she wants to.

THIS....