Why does MFP tell you the weight you'd be in x weeks...

Options
blytheny
blytheny Posts: 63 Member
Hi!

So, I try very hard to eat my MFP calories (1200) and on days when I excercise and burn 600+ calories, I eat back maybe 200 or 300. I can't possibly eat 1800 cals 4 days/week just b/c I exercised that day - I do NOT have a high metabolism & it would never work.

Doing it this way seems to be working for me... but I HATE when I log in calories that are below my MFP number, and it says "If you keep eating like this, you would weigh xxxxx in 5 weeks" - and it is a nice, lower number than what I am even shooting for in 5 weeks - but then they qualify it with "but you are eating too few and your body will hold back and think it is starving and you actually WON'T lose this amount of weight" etc.

I realize it's all about the computer math, but it is very annoying, b/c I know the number is never accurate.

:/

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You can ignore it - which is precisely what I do.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    think of it in terms of 4 months not 5 weeks
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I kinda like it because it keeps me motivated to keep going and perhaps I will be the lower weight in 5 weeks.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I kinda like it because it keeps me motivated to keep going and perhaps I will be the lower weight in 5 weeks.

That's how I look at it too. It's inspiring. Mine tells me ill weight a stone less in 5 weeks which I'd be ecstatic about.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I ignore it! If it were accurate I'd have disappeared by now!
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never really understood that, either. I simply don't click "Complete this Entry" anymore. :)
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah, I never really understood that, either. I simply don't click "Complete this Entry" anymore. :)
    This!
    It won't change anything, but the weight prediction won't appear! :)
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I too see it as motivation. Realistically, 4 weeks later, I will not remember what that number was but it keeps me going ;)
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Me too!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Since you refuse to actually give the mfp way a try (where you actually eat enough calories to not get a "you are starving yourself and this is unhealthy message) how can you sit here and say it doesn't work?

I can eat 4000 calories in one sitting so you claiming you can't possibly eat 1800 calories in a single day a bit dubious
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Since you refuse to actually give the mfp way a try (where you actually eat enough calories to not get a "you are starving yourself and this is unhealthy message) how can you sit here and say it doesn't work?

I can eat 4000 calories in one sitting so you claiming you can't possibly eat 1800 calories in a single day a bit dubious

Totally agree DavPul. i cant see how people survive on so few calories.

I have 2000 ish a day and that just about gets me through. if i had 1200 i would be dead in a few weeks.
  • mikegales
    mikegales Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try this for some humor. Quick add a very large number of calories and then complete the log. MFP once said I would weigh a billion pounds. :laugh:
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    MFP gives me too few calories (I supliment them with a fitbit). Before I started substituting I would think, "um, more like 3 weeks not 5!" Now I'm eating a little more so it might be more accurate.

Eating too few calories will slow your metabolism. Slowly raising them might work better for you in the long run. Dropping weight "fast" might be fun, but it won't be fun when you get to your idea weight and gain it all back when you try to eat a normal days amount of food because your body is so use to starving.
  • blytheny
    blytheny Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I never said I refuse - I just said I can't. There are days, as a night nurse, that I am only awake from 4pm - 10pm, and if I work out during that time period, there is NO WAY I will eat 1800 calories in 6 hours, and not both feel sick and wake up a lb or two heavier. And I never said I wasn't losing weight... I am, about 2lbs/week. But MFP jumps the number like crazy - even when I am only 50 cals under.

So, I was just curious what people thought. I DO know MFP works, and I do eat my calories, for the most part. :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

I never said I refuse - I just said I can't. There are days, as a night nurse, that I am only awake from 4pm - 10pm, and if I work out during that time period, there is NO WAY I will eat 1800 calories in 6 hours, and not both feel sick and wake up a lb or two heavier. And I never said I wasn't losing weight... I am, about 2lbs/week. But MFP jumps the number like crazy - even when I am only 50 cals under.

So, I was just curious what people thought. I DO know MFP works, and I do eat my calories, for the most part. :)

I work night shift as well, and am typically working 12 hour days six days a week. It is possible to eat the recommended amounts with an hour of exercise and only two or three hours of available time a day. The trick is to use calorie dense foods that fit your macros. I'm doing insanity, so I'm typically eating about 2200 calories a day, 80% of which is in the few hours I am not at work. Nut, nut butter, cheese, avocados and the like can add a lot of calories and other nutrients you need. As long as you stay within your macros, calorie dense foods can be your friend.
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options

A lb or 2 heavier over night does not equate to a lb or 2 of fat.... more like water retention. You have to eat in a surplus to gain fat and you are eating at a huge deficit. Weigh yourself ONCE a week at exactly the same time of day (I do it before breakfast but after my morning ablutions) to get a better idea of how much weight you actually lose. Or better yet, take your measurements and track them.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options

So... you are only awake for 6 hours a day? That means you're sleeping 18 hours a day - which doesn't sound healthy or normal at all. How are you holding down a job, and having time to work out, if you're only up for 6 hours a day? (Also, I can eat all my calories in less than 6 hours, and I'm eating almost 2000 a day, plus exercise. So, yup.)
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I simply use it as motivation...I don't take it literally. It just helps me create a reasonable goal and keeps me motivated :flowerforyou:

Those times that I go a little over, I hit it and see that if I messed up one day, it isn't the end of all. Usually I see that I may still lose (very little but lose) even if I ate crappy one time. Or I see that I might maintain or that even if I messed up like that it would take 5 weeks to see a slight gaine. OR if I REALLY go overboard :embarassed: (we all slip now and then, right? RIGHT? LOL) it helps me put in perspective what I could end up gaining if I don't get myself under control.

It's not something that I take to heart, it just helps me stay motivated I guess. We all know the numbers are not exact and probably not exactly what would happen but it gives me a ballpark of where I could end up and how I'm doing on my eating habits.

But that's just my opinion and how I use it :flowerforyou:
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    Options
    Have you ever gone way OVER on your calories? I went on vacation for a few days, but still logged all my vacation foods. What an eye-opener! I was so used to seeing a projected number that was less than my current weight - it made a huge impact when I saw that continuing to be over by 1000 calories would quickly have me back where I started. And being over by 1000 was totally easy when I was having pizza, tacos, bacon cheeseburgers, and fried zucchini. I used to eat that way all the time and wondered, "Why are my pants so tight?" Now I know!

We know that there are variables and not every day can be like "today", but I think it gives a good overall picture. Hit your net calories and you'll continue to go in the right direction. Go over or extremely under, and you'll find it counterproductive to meeting your fitness goals.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Hi!

So, I try very hard to eat my MFP calories (1200) and on days when I excercise and burn 600+ calories, I eat back maybe 200 or 300. I can't possibly eat 1800 cals 4 days/week just b/c I exercised that day - I do NOT have a high metabolism & it would never work.

Doing it this way seems to be working for me... but I HATE when I log in calories that are below my MFP number, and it says "If you keep eating like this, you would weigh xxxxx in 5 weeks" - and it is a nice, lower number than what I am even shooting for in 5 weeks - but then they qualify it with "but you are eating too few and your body will hold back and think it is starving and you actually WON'T lose this amount of weight" etc.

I realize it's all about the computer math, but it is very annoying, b/c I know the number is never accurate.

:/

I never have the issue of not being able to eat my calories :embarassed:

I usually workout so I can eat more ninja.gif

Not sure that that's the way to go though laugh.gif