Love Handles and Strength Training...

Hi all, i want some advice since i am really very confused.
So i have been exercising for about 3.5 months now, and i have lost 30 pounds till date (i was 177 before now i am 147). I am on a diet(that includes almonds in the morning, then wheat flakes, apples, lots of fruits and veggies, eggs, green tea) and in the evening i do like 1.5 hour of workout that include aerobics, cardio and weights. But the thing is i am getting skinny and losing muscle mass, i am not that strong you see. The problem is i have huge love handles, my tummy size was 38.6 a month before, now it is 37. My whole body is skinny with those love handles. Since i am daily working out and on diet i keep losing weight but not those love handles. For that i've started doing now more sides and started concentrating more on weights and strength training.
So my question is should i continue working out the same with same diet, because i am getting skinnier, until i lose those love handles or i should change my diet to more muscle building diet now since i've reached my target weight (that includes fish, chicken and all high calorie products), would that diet affect my handles. Please anybody reply...

Replies

• Fitnesskiran
    Fitnesskiran Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I've put on tonnes of weight after pregnancy and looking forward to she'd all the extra weight.
    Can't fit into all my cloths & it feels horrible!!!
    Plss advise & guide what & how do I start frm...

Regards
    Kk
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Sorry harry, you can't target specific fat areas in your body. I would lift weights anyway because it's 100% beneficial, raises your metabolism, and makes you stronger mentally and physically. Chicken and Fish are not high calorie products, those are lean meats and they're 100% good for you. Add them to your diet! If you eat at maintenance (I'm not sure about you, but generally around 2000 calories a day) and lift weights you will start to achieve the physique you're looking for, no doubt. But these things take time, and patience. Much respect for the weight loss, stay healthy my friend.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 862 Member
    . But the thing is i am getting skinny and losing muscle mass,

You answered your own question ;)

You should probably reevaluate how much you are eating (sounds like more) and add lifting. Look through the forum a bit on "eat more to weight less" . And choose 1 or .5 pound pr week of weightloss, instead of 2 in your MFP goals.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Hi all, i want some advice since i am really very confused.
    So i have been exercising for about 3.5 months now, and i have lost 30 pounds till date (i was 177 before now i am 147). I am on a diet(that includes almonds in the morning, then wheat flakes, apples, lots of fruits and veggies, eggs, green tea) and in the evening i do like 1.5 hour of workout that include aerobics, cardio and weights. But the thing is i am getting skinny and losing muscle mass, i am not that strong you see. The problem is i have huge love handles, my tummy size was 38.6 a month before, now it is 37. My whole body is skinny with those love handles. Since i am daily working out and on diet i keep losing weight but not those love handles. For that i've started doing now more sides and started concentrating more on weights and strength training.
    So my question is should i continue working out the same with same diet, because i am getting skinnier, until i lose those love handles or i should change my diet to more muscle building diet now since i've reached my target weight (that includes fish, chicken and all high calorie products), would that diet affect my handles. Please anybody reply...

doesn't seem like you're getting enough protein when you were cutting. IMO I think protein is more important when cutting compared to bulking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    more food.... more protein..... and you dont need to do an hour and a half in the gym to get a good workout! its quality not quantity!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    It sounds like you are getting down to what some people call "the last 5 miles". I don't know how many calories you're eating etc but you need to eat closer to maintenance, especially up your fat's and protein and really limit processed carbs, make your workout 30% cardio 70% lifting. Following a plan like 5x5 is a great idea.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Try lean gains if helped me heaps with losing bf% and retaining muscle mass n strength too
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    If you are getting skinny, light but still have troublesome fat deposits I think you should stop dieting immediately unless you are going for a particular "look".

You need to set aside 6 months or so for a nice, clean bulk coupled with a good resistance training programme. Minimal cardio. Eat about 250 cals above maintenance calories per day consistently. Plenty of protein and fluids.

Once you have added some decent mass to to your frame diet back down again. You will look much better, with a lower body fat and less love handles at probably around the same weight you are now.

You could go for a recomp but I think they it is less efficient.
  • harry962
    harry962 Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the replies...and yes i am not taking enough proteins (even though i am taking whey protein), and truthfully i am having around 1000 calories a day of which i burn like 600 while working out. so then i should add lean meats and fish and other protein foods to my diet it will not increase my tummy right as long as i am exercising and eating right.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 862 Member
    Calculate your TDEE and start adding calories towards that, 200 per day or so in addition to the 1000 untill you reach your TDEE?

I recommend reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience