Help! Synthroid and weight loss

Options

Replies

• wren41
    wren41 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started on Synthroid 50mcg about 6 weeks ago after going to an internist for weight gain, hair thinning, dry skin, fatigue and body aches. She ran blood work and said although my levels were considered "normal" my symptoms told a different story. She started me on iodine replacement first and after 30 days, re-assessed and started me on the synthroid. She told me to keep taking the iodine but I only take it a few days a week as I'm not comfortable taking it everyday after reading about it. There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the use of iodine replacements. She also has me on Vitamin D 50,000 IU weekly.
    Anyway, I haven't lost a single pound. My clothes feel a little looser but there's no significant change. What did change is this: my energy level increased and my period cycle was two weeks late. I did have cramps - not normal cramps but weird sharp pains in the abdomen and temple headaches that got worse the couple of days before my cycle started. My period is lighter - which is great considering how awful it's been for years - and I don't get exhausted like before.

I take my Synthroid in the morning will a full glass of water. I wait to eat for about an hour and then eat a protein rich breakfast. My doctor told me to eat more protein - 10g to 20g - at each meal and cut out sweets as I am showing up as borderline diabetic now. I do have PCOS which was diagnosed about 15 years ago. Nothing helped with that and the weight gain continued.

It's frustrating because the first week I thought everything was looking brighter but now I'm not sure. The doctor had me do a hormone profile (saliva test) and I'll see her in 2 weeks for the results. She wants to be sure my hormones aren't also playing a hand in all this.

I'll update any info in case it can help someone else. Everyone is unique but sharing info gives us all more to work with and discuss with our doctors so I think it's a good thing.
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was in 5th grade (36 now.) I lost a lot of hair, was very tired, and freezing cold all of the time. It took a long time for someone to test me, but, once they did and I started medication, I changed in to a different person.

I've had trouble losing weight in my adult life, but, I have other ailments. I had weight loss surgery in May and have lost 49 lbs. So, I can tell you it is possible to lose when taking the medicine.

Are you seeing a PCP or endocrinologist? I would suggest an Edo, I started seeing one a couple of years ago. She is so much more educated in this thyroid stuff. I take my pill first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with only a couple of other pills. I cannot take it with a multivitamin. I wait about 30 minutes and have a protein shake for breakfast and it hasn't bothered it. I have a blood test every 20 lbs. I lose. My dose has been altered many, many times and weight affects how much you need. I think you'll always need something though.

I don't feel sick, so, I can't help you on that one. Good luck to you.
  • barberange89
    Options
    Hello! I was having the same issues about a month ago (but I wasn't losing much weight at all!) I was tired, head was kind of fuzzy and I felt like I had zero energy for anything. Half way through the day I could have taken a 2 hour nap, but didn't because of work. So I went to my doctor and after some simple blood work, she found that I have hypothyroidism. (Thankfully for an answer, not thankful that I have to remember the pill everyday!)

So now that it's been a month, and we have upped my amount of Synthroid, I am noticing the issues as well with the tummy. It's sort of hard for me to relate 100% because I am lactose intolerant and also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), but I definitely do see a difference. I also feel more hungry than I was before I began the medicine. When I went in for my first follow up to see if the medicine level was correct, I told her that I feel more hungry through out the day. She said that since the medicine sort of speeds your body up, you are going to feel more hungry. (I explained to her the whole calorie counting thing) She told me to take my 3 meals and cut them in half and to eat them more often though out the day. She said not only will it help by making me feel not as hungry, but it will also help speed up my metabolism, which will help lose weight. I gave that a shot, and it helped. But also now that we have upped my level of Synthroid, the tummy issues are getting worse again. I've talked to a couple of friends that are also on Synthroid for hypothyroidism and they said that after you first few months, the weird tummy stuff goes away. It's just a new thing for your body and our body has a weird (and uncomfortable) way of getting used to it.

Hang in there! :)
  • FitBy30_2014
    FitBy30_2014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have hypothryoridism and have been on Levothyroxine since June of 2012. I have lost 53 pounds since November...even after a bunch of people told me that would be impossible with hypothyroidism!! However, for the past month or two I have been really tired,dry skin, hair falling out, little to no weight loss. It's weird because you would think if anything my condition would be reversed with the weight loss but I think it's actually opposite. :( Now, I'm just waiting until I can get labs done in August (insurance sucks!)...until then, no weight is going to be lost for me I guess!!
  • allyowl
    allyowl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am debating taking the synthroid...I am borderline low thyroid...but with high antibodies low white blood cells, no period since 2011 (after having baby in 2012) sitll no period...am a bodybuilder and eat pretty clean. i went gf for a while and then back to gluten then the symptoms got worse...therefore believe gluten is an issue as well as dairy..still determining coffee and chocolate right now. I am struggling to cut more body fat and am hungry a lot of the time esp.at night. Any tips? What is this natural supplement you are talking about?
  • Hoodie16
    Hoodie16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Allyowl - if you have high antibodies you do not have just hypothyroidism. You have an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto Thyroiditis. Hypothyroidism is the result of this autoimmune disease. Your body is destroying your thyroid. Your borderline low TSH levels will eventually become low thyroid levels and you will see a rise in your antibody levels.
  • ErinFrew
    ErinFrew Posts: 1
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism back in May. You must take the medication an hour before you eat OR three hours after eating (to ensure that your stomach is empty). You must take this medication on an EMPTY stomach for it to work its best.

I am taking Synthroid and I feel a lot better. I have more energy and I just feel more like "myself". I experienced terrible bloating and some puffiness just before I went on the medication - like bloating so bad I couldn't wear my normal clothes. I also maxed out at 157, but then the next day I was down to 155 and then I'd be back up again. I also gained 5 pounds that I lost in April, right before my diagnosis. So that was interesting, as I had obviously had Hypothyroidism coming my way for some months but I was able to lose some weight. My doctor thinks my miscarriage was the real catalyst for pushing it over the edge.

Now I have lost a few pounds, I'm down from 155. I've been eating 1,200 calories a day, and I'm trying to get more active. However, I really haven't done much by way of formal exercise (Pilates, running, walking, etc.). But I find I can get down to 150 fairly easily and quickly just by counting calories. We'll see if I can get back to my normal weight (140-145) this way though. I'm sure I'll need to do more by way of exercise.

I am hoping that the medication will help to take some of the weight off. I would love to be below 150 again. It's hard to know what weight was put on as a result of the Hypothyroidism. My doctor says that I should try to remember when I was feeling "healthy", and my weight then was "normal" weight. Meaning any weight gain up until that point could not be attributed to my thyroid.

I just wish I knew how much the medication could do for me, by way of losing weight. And would another drug work better?
  • ChelStaal
    ChelStaal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    im all about homeopathic and naturopathic medicine but let me tell you something... they put me on thyroid plus, a NATURAL thyroid "medicine" and it only raised my tsh levels and screwed my thyroid more so now i have to be on synthroid...
  • taurustraci
    Options
    Hi all!
    I have been a MFP member for a while and lost about 30lbs. Then, out of no where, I had zero energy, my hair was falling out, I could hardly think. I had many people tell me "it must be your calories, you are not eathing enough" so I upped my calories. No change. I upped them again. No change. So I finally went to the doctor and turns out even though I lost weight, apparently I have hypothyroidism. She said she was suprised I lost any weight at all! (Trust me that weightloss was hard won!)

Now I have been on Synthroid (levothyroxine) for about 2 weeks. I have more energy and mental clarity, but unfortunately, I have stomach cramps and bloating to go wtih it, not to mention I am starving all the time. So, because of that-I have also gained back about 8-10lbs. I have lost all motivation to work out because my stomach hurts and I just dont think I can do this anymore.

Is there anyone out there who has hypothyroidism, who takes this med, and still loses weight?

I read that you shouldnt eat before a hour when you take the med, then I just read 3 hrs. Which is it? Are there certain foods I should/shouldnt be eating? I cant find anything on the net to help. So damn frustrated!!

Any help/words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I can on,y take the actual synthroid not the generic or it makes me nauseas, so that could be your problem as well.
  • bdugan44
    bdugan44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This message is for Sleepytexan, what if your entire thyroid has been removed? Would you recommend taking a different medication instead of Synthroid. I had cancer in my thyroid, resulting in it removed in May 2013. I've only been on synthroid for 5 months now, and I'm having difficulty losing weight. It was never an issue before. My Dad has suggested seeing a hollistic doctor but i'm not quite sure they would be any help. What are your thoughts.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed last December and since then I have gained 30 lbs. Ugh. I felt terrible on Synthroid only, although I don't attribute it to the synthroid. I attribute it to the possibility that my body wasn't converting T4 to T3 very effectively and the reason I believe that was the case is because in all my labs, my T4 was normal but my T3 was low. Anyway, I felt terrible- cold, hair loss, brain fog, dry skin, just the works. I asked my doctor to add Cytomel to my treatment in August and ever since then I have felt 100% better and my labs show it. My T4 and T3 are in the upper-normal range and my TSH is in the low-normal range and I am finally losing weight. Yay!
  • saraabear
    Options
    Hi!

I used to always be under one hundred pounds my whole life. About two and a half years ago, I suddenly started gaining weight rapidly, foggy memory, loss of hair, typical symptoms of hypothyroidism. I went up to 115 pounds, it was a lot for me since I am only 4'11. I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. She put me on levothyroxine but after about three weeks of taking it I feel seriously ill, rapid heart beat and all. I had to go to the ER. The doctor switched me to Synthroid 25 mcg and then a few months later to Synthroid 50 mcg. I ran about 6 miles a day and started losing weight and was back to my 92 to 98 pound range.

Now as of September I am rapidly gaining weight again. I am any where from 107 to 110 lbs now and it is really scary to me. I went to my doctor to see if my medication needs adjustment but all my labs came back perfectly normal. I am now running up to 8 miles a day five days a week but am not seeing any weight loss yet. I am terrified. I take my medication first thing in the morning in an empty stomach and wait an hour to eat anything
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My goodness, I see a lot of misinformation in this thread!

There are many reasons why your thyroid (your largest endocrine gland) may not be able to produce enough T3 and T4. One of them occurs when your body begins to produce antibodies to your own thyroid, signalling your body to destroy it. This is an autoimmune disorder, and there is nothing that can be done, except to replace the hormones your thyroid is no longer able to produce in sufficient quantities to maintain health. Other people lose all or part of their thyroid to cancer, and need to be able to supply their body's with the T3 and T4 hormones by other means.

Levothyroxin, or 'synthroid' is a very effective treatment for underactive or absent thyroid. It should be taken at least 1/2 to 1 hour before a meal, first thing in the morning. It is generally well tolerated, and is a very safe and effective drug. I have been on it for 10 + years now, and have not had any problems. I get regularly tested for how my levels are doing, so the dosage can be increased if needed as time goes on.

When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's (the autoimmune disease) my hormone levels were very compromised, I had slowly put on five pounds despite being an avid runner, I was cold all the time and in a mental fog. Levothyroxine saved my life! I was able to lose those five lbs, and I felt like myself again.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I can't say that I have experienced any side effects whatsoever, so those kinds of questions should be reserved for your doctor.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Hi there...several years ago, I was having those same symptoms...I don't know which one was worse, the hair loss, or the forgetfulness!! Anyhow, after being tested, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on Synthroid and off I went. It should be noted...it takes about 6 weeks for your hormone levels to regulate, so, give it some time perhaps.

I had a very hard time with taking the medication...the words of my doctor kept running through my head, "once you start...your body will not be able to produce enough to regulate itself, so you will need to take this for the rest of your life........"
    After losing a significant amount of weight, I was tested again, and my levels were ok. So...perhaps it's possible with diet and weightloss. I couldn't say for sure...I'm no professional.

Perhaps it was a risky chance...but I opted to try weighloss first to see if that would help before I put myself in a position to have to take a pill for the REST OF MY LIFE.

You being a nurse, I'm sure you will do what is best for you and your body. Best wishes to you. :)

Your levels were OK because your were taking synthroid. You levels should always be OK unless you need an increase in dose, that is why you get your levels checked. Have you gone off the thyroid meds now? And had your levels tested?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I also found out I was hypothyroid. While I didn't lose hair, I was really lethargic and depressed. They put me on a dosage of synthroid and it ended up being too high (turning me HYPERthyroid), which led to me being starving all the time (so I gained a lot of weight quickly because I couldn't stop eating) and my nails were breaking. It's hard to tell after being on a medication for only two weeks, but get a blood test done and see if you're hyperthyroid due to being overmedicated.

Also, I don't eat for an hour after taking my thyroid medication, which I take on an empty stomach.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am taking mine at 5pm. I am a nurse and I work nights so I get up at 5, shower, dress then by the time I get to the kitchen before work (about 6pm) I feel like its safe to eat. Right now, when I get up I have the worst stomach cramps and nausea. I took my pill tonight and havent even eaten yet. I am waiting for the cramps to go away. I do wake up hungry, but the stomach pain makes me not want to eat.

Did your hypothryoidism go away with weight loss??? Please tell me thats possible!

(ps. I know I am a nurse and I should know how to fix this, I just have never had a patient complain of these symptoms!)

I would suggest talking to your doc about the stomach cramps and nausea. I really don't think the hypo-t will go away with weight loss. However, weight loss is possible. I've been hypo-t for about 18 years now. You have to give your body a chance to adjust. Just keep eating healthy, get good exercise, and you will be okay. Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Hi there...several years ago, I was having those same symptoms...I don't know which one was worse, the hair loss, or the forgetfulness!! Anyhow, after being tested, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on Synthroid and off I went. It should be noted...it takes about 6 weeks for your hormone levels to regulate, so, give it some time perhaps.

I had a very hard time with taking the medication...the words of my doctor kept running through my head, "once you start...your body will not be able to produce enough to regulate itself, so you will need to take this for the rest of your life........"
    After losing a significant amount of weight, I was tested again, and my levels were ok. So...perhaps it's possible with diet and weightloss. I couldn't say for sure...I'm no professional.

Perhaps it was a risky chance...but I opted to try weighloss first to see if that would help before I put myself in a position to have to take a pill for the REST OF MY LIFE.

You being a nurse, I'm sure you will do what is best for you and your body. Best wishes to you. :)

Your levels were OK because your were taking synthroid. You levels should always be OK unless you need an increase in dose, that is why you get your levels checked. Have you gone off the thyroid meds now? And had your levels tested?

Oh for God's sake. Sucked in by another zombie thread!
  • musicnmyheart
    Options
    I'm a thyroid cancer survivor. No thyroid now and I depend on synthroid to stay alive. I've been losing weight after gaining 70lbs trying to figure out what was wrong. I use a cleansing system that even my endo approved. If you want to know more you can PM me.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Is there anyone out there who has hypothyroidism, who takes this med, and still loses weight?

I read that you shouldnt eat before a hour when you take the med, then I just read 3 hrs. Which is it? Are there certain foods I should/shouldnt be eating? I cant find anything on the net to help. So damn frustrated!!

Any help/words of wisdom would be appreciated.

My endo said not to eat anything for 1 hour and not to take any vitamins for 3 hours. Quick Question...are you drinking enough water when you take your synthroid? I do notice a difference when I drink a whole glass versus only drinking enough to get the pill down. I've been on Synthroid for 2 years...I've been at the same dose for about 9 months now. I am losing weight when I am eating at TDEE-20%. I would talk to your endo about your cramps and other symptoms.

Feel free to add me.
  • Nromero0804
    Options
    Take it at 6 am before breakfast!